Instamix: Make Bulletproof Coffee Anywhere

Not sure if it's me or the forum, but can't find a thread using the search even mentioning this new product.

If someone could point me in the right direction if there's a thread already running!

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/instamix-make-bulletproof-coffee-anywhere/

Just received three boxes to try and have used two pouches from the first box. First impressions aren't good, easy to use, but taste is maybe 3/10! Might be a bad batch, might be doing it wrong, but tastes like 3 year old baby formula (just for context, I've never had baby formula). If they all taste this bad, then I"ve two unopened boxes for sale or I'll wait for the Zombie apocalypse!

just for reference, I've added it to a hot coffee with a small amount of butter in (have some with me) and just a milk frother. Is it the small stick of kerry gold maybe. I'll try the next one with just hot coffee to at least remove that possibility.

Looking forward to hearing if others experiences.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited May 2016

I suspect the "highly branched cyclic dextrin" is to create and maintain the emulsion even without a blender. 5g starchy dextrin probably doesn't mess with the fast. 

My cook friend was telling me recently that some recipes use cayenne powder not for flavor but because the tiny particles help keep emulsified fats emulsified. You don't want your hollandaise sauce separating between the kitchen and the customer's table. 

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

anyone tasted it?

Just made another without butter or anything but coffee from another box. Still smells and taste 'wrong', hard to explain, but taste to me like I would imagine some plastic leeching into the ingredients might. Not good! Admittedly the coffee isn't great, as I'm away and don't want to waste my limited supply of good beans, but pretty sure it's not the coffee's fault. Going to mix in some cocoa powder to see if I can get it to taste less like bad medicine.

A heaped spoonful of cocoa powder isn't saving it!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

I love my Bulletproof Coffee everyday and been drinking it pretty much every day for over 3 years. This stuff taste horrible so far! Lucky I didn't start out with this, as I might not be where I am today! Hope it's a bad batch or I'm doing something wrong!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Would have been a lot more interesting if there also was some magic mycotoxin-free dried coffee in there. 

• Oh I know what's gonna happen...Dave is gonna admit that it tastes like crap, UNLESS you brew it with Bulletproof Structured Fatwater, which will shuttle the carbs directly into your mitochondria and down regulate mTOR even more, you'll feel more bulletproof than ever and get ripped!
  • katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

I'm surprised there was no thread and surprised there's no one replying who's tried it yet. Feeling like the only sucker in the room!

must admit, I'm a big fan of Dave's stuff and theory, but since it's taken off, he's new products have been fairly disappointing! 

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• i was actually pretty curious about the instamix stuff, cause i make coffee at work and that's the only time i don't blend it with anything cause i already bring too much stuff with me. if it was just butter or ghee without the other stuff, and if it tasted good, and if it wasn't overpriced, i'd probably buy some. that and i just feel less and less inclined to support the bulletproof product line. 

• Dennis BDennis B
    edited May 2016

Let me establish right of the bat that I am a hard core business traveler.  I log nearly 100 airline segments a year and always surpass 100 nights a year in hotels.

Products like the Bulletproof snack bars and others are what I live by to get me through awful airline and client location food choices.

Because of my crazy travel schedule, packing Kerri-gold and MCT oil to make my own BPC is a pain in the ass.  The first person to market with such a product was Laird and his super food creamer (copy of BPC).  It is a portable packet you mix into coffee on the go.  My first cup of that I could not even finish, it was that awful.

When Dave released Insta-Mix I was stoked and order a box to try out.  I've worked my way through about 6 packets so far and can say the following:

-Its not substitute for true BPC.  When at home or at a place I make the real deal, I get the real deal.

-Taste is not the same as BPC.  However, there are only two companies on the market that I'm aware of with a travel version of BPC; Laird and BulletProof.  Bullet Proof wins hands down.  Laird tastes like crap.

-In my opinion, something gets lost into the translation of BPC into a powder.  The hunger satiation that I feel with normal BPC is not the same with Insta-mix.  Not sure why, but that is what I experienced.

-The ability to mix is not great using a hand spoon or stirrer.  I ended up buying a battery powered portable milk frother.  That works great and whips up the insta-mix to a nice foam on the top.

All and all; for my specific needs and purpose, Insta-mix works for me.  Like Dave's snack bars, I value travel portability more than exact taste.  There are some things to improve upon.

However, I would not use Instamix at home if I have perfectly good Kerrigold, Brain Octain, and a blender next to me.  Huge world of difference. 

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Not tried the coffee blocks, not seen the coffee blocks. Link?

Just posted the first review on the site for them. Was longer, but they only allow short review text!!!!!!

I get the feeling Dave's run out of good ideas now and is struggling to keep bringing out new stuff. Feels like his life's work was all in the first waves of Bulletproof stuff and now it's a hit on a bigger scale, he's struggling to add. Bit like a Bands, what is it, tricky 3rd album. Once you've told your story and everyone's heard it, it's hard to do another.

Been on Bulletproof Coffee pretty much daily for over 3 years and though I'd give these a go while travelling. I look forward to by Bulletproof Coffee every morning, but this powder form tastes terrible. I normally use around 25g of kerry gold butter, upgraded coffee, MCT oil and a few cocoa nibs with a little cocoa powder, with the blender which is roughly 500 kcal. The instamix comes out at 135kcal, so not sure if the taste is effected because of that, but it barely even taste like coffee once added to plain coffee. I've tried packets out of two different boxes and it taste the same. I've tried adding some real butter, cocoa powder and it still tastes the same! So the lack of taste and ingredients makes this seem a waste of time and money to me. You'd need to be pretty desperate to need these, when a small bottle of MCT oil or finding some butter isn't a option. I'd advice finding some nuts, dark chocolate or avocados in front of this stuff to stay bulletproof. Seemed like a great ideas, but either executed poorly or not practical unless your tastebuds aren't working. Sorry.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Funny thing, wrote an honest review for instamix for www.bulletproof.com and surprisingly it's not been added after a week. Site still says, Be the first to review this product, guess they are picky about only posting positive reviews! 

Maybe that's why there's no reviews!

Disappointing from Bulletproof, both the product and the attitude.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• the name of the company implies that everything they do is perfect so i doubt that they are very much inclined to openly admit to mistakes, failures, or even people just not liking their stuff. when is the last time you heard Dave backtrack and admit that he made a less than stellar recommendation? or even acknowledge some of the well-founded arguments and evidence against some of his recommendations or ideas? at most he will create straw men and attack those, usually with a very smug tone (although i think it is required to sound a little smug to play the health guru role).

i will gladly buy BP products again if they come up with a product that is worth the time and worth the price, but i feel like i've experimented enough with the stuff they offer that i can say that none of it really delivers enough to be worth it for me. The coffee was the last thing to go, after they pulled it from Thrive and I discovered that there is fresher, cheaper coffee that probably has just as few mycotoxins as BP from what I can tell. I think this forum is the only BP thing left that I'm really drawn to, and that's mostly because of the mixture of knowledgeable folks who've been here a while and can filter through a lot of the BS and the opportunity to share with newer folks all of the salt that they should be taking with all of the BP claims. 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Funny thing, wrote an honest review for instamix for www.bulletproof.com and surprisingly it's not been added after a week. Site still says, Be the first to review this product, guess they are picky about only posting positive reviews! 

Maybe that's why there's no reviews!

To be fair, I think that Bulletproof does post negative reviews sometimes-- it's not like they silence all criticism on reviews of their products. And, as this is a new product, having nothing but a negative review available might make the product look really bad to customers who haven't tried it. They don't want to have it fail right from the get-go. I would guess that the BP team is hoping for some positive reviews to show up first, and are holding back anything negative so that Instamix doesn't bomb right out of the gate. I could be wrong, of course. As someone who makes a living selling stuff online, I can tell you that those first reviews can make or break a product. It can mean the difference between a successful launch and a trainwreck. Supposing that early reviews are mostly critical for this stuff, Dave wouldn't be doing himself any favors by publishing them simply for the sake of "integrity". More than likely it would turn off potential buyers.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!