Biohacking A Knee Injury...mri Results & Advice On How To Move Forward?

I am looking to get advice on how to best heal an ongoing knee injury, hopefully without spending hundreds of dollars on physical therapy. I would far prefer to be able to do it myself through hopefully more affordable means. What I know about the specifics of the injury (details to follow) exceeds my understanding of physiology.

Background - I received a knee injury approximately one year ago. Forced to work in a very low and confined space for a casual labouring job one day, I had to squeeze into a cramped space and kneel on an uneven surface, As I knelt down I felt a crack in my right knee and heard what sounded like a muffled gunshot. I felt bad pain in my knee and had a minor limp for a while. Ever since the injury day, I could never again sit back on my ankles with knees bent in a typical meditation pose, like I had always been able to before - to do so causes severe pain but only at the very extremes of the movement.

Lack of funds at the time precluded getting a professional diagnosis of the injury.

A month later I was traveling in Thailand and crossing a road when I was forced to break into a sprint to escape the path of an errant taxi. By the other side of the road I had a severe limp that lasted for the next 3 weeks. During that time I got plenty of rest and moved as little as I had to. I wore a knee brace religiously for about a month and used some topical pain relief. Visiting a hospital in Thailand, twice, I had it looked at by various doctors and was told it was not more serious than a "major strain".

Since returning to my country, I got an MRI.

MRI results - While I can't provide pictures (they were saved in a proprietary inaccessible format), the summary is as follow...

All normal except for:

"Small increase in joint fluid..."

"Low grade strain of the distal fibres of the ACL. ACL otherwise intact..."

"There is a contusion of subchondral marrow of the anterior aspects of medial tibial plateau..."

"There is an undersurface horizontal oblique tear of the posterior horn and body of the medial meniscus & there is marked fraying & irregularity at the free edge of the meniscus..."

Where I'm pointing in the picture below is the only pain point when pressing on my knee (on the inside of the knee):

knee.png

At present I can walk unimpeded for hours, if necessary. I am getting into deadlifting, albeit am starting at a low weight and only doing about 150lb at present, with no pain. I only notice a very low grade pain, almost like a background hum, at intermittent times in my knee. I completely avoid the kneeling meditation position as it is impossible to do without severe pain.

Any advice on the best way forward from here (that I can do myself, without a physical therapist) would be greatly appreciated.

While I haven't worn a knee brace for months now, I am open to again using one if people believe it will make a difference.

At present, I am experimenting with 90% DMSO gel on my knee into which I dissolve a capsule of serrapeptase (I know not all of it gets through, but I'm pretty certain ~80% does, from the little leftover on my knee after 20 minutes of rubbing it in). It has a minor numbing effect on the knee and gives minor pain relief if the pain becomes more noticeable.

Thanks for your time.

-adam

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

i haven't got any advice, sorry...

& you may already know this, but i wasn't sure from your post...

going by the mri notes & where your finger is pointing, you have a medial meniscus tear

so that will help you narrow down your research (as i say, if you did not already know this). 

medial in this case just means the inside of your knee, as opposed to the lateral meniscus on the other side of your knee. 

i also torn my medial meniscus, tho i ended up with a very severe click/knock & shudder every time i moved my knee 'thru the tear'. 

& i also could not do the 'asian squat' afterwards, same as you described. 

i decided against surgery. 

it has slowly healed/improved over a few years, i can now do the asian squat again without issue. 

it still has a minor click, but only when my leg is bent in a certain way.  

Having said all that, i only had minor pain, that quickly went, & i had no swelling either, so you may have more going on...

• No one else got any practical suggestions?

• edited July 2016

Was surgery suggested? That is normally what is required with a situation like yours. 

Nonetheless, so far what you're doing looks good. 

Are you familiar with a single leg deadlift? Preferably with a kettlebell, from a block or from the ground. You won't notice the asymmetry in a double leg deadlift. Move to one leg to tackle the asymmetry, gain adequate stability and really learn how to load the posterior structures. A good metric to shoot for half body weight for 10 reps on each side. 

Have you paired  taking DMSO with Organic Sulfur Crystals? (MSM, but not really MSM). Always seen good results with that protocol. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

• edited August 2016

i haven't got any advice, sorry...

& you may already know this, but i wasn't sure from your post...

going by the mri notes & where your finger is pointing, you have a medial meniscus tear

so that will help you narrow down your research (as i say, if you did not already know this). 

medial in this case just means the inside of your knee, as opposed to the lateral meniscus on the other side of your knee. 

i also torn my medial meniscus, tho i ended up with a very severe click/knock & shudder every time i moved my knee 'thru the tear'. 

& i also could not do the 'asian squat' afterwards, same as you described. 

i decided against surgery. 

it has slowly healed/improved over a few years, i can now do the asian squat again without issue. 

it still has a minor click, but only when my leg is bent in a certain way.  

Having said all that, i only had minor pain, that quickly went, & i had no swelling either, so you may have more going on...

From someone who has had bi-lateral knee surgery and then retorn all ligaments + more (Around 8 total), and incurred several dozen hyperextension's, I feel that I can give you some quality advice. I am also a competition level bmx rider who rides almost everyday doing stupid knee twisting positions ....and the fact that I can even do this stuff at all, let alone competitively in a professional level should tell you my success dealing with these injuries.

First and most important - Excercise, excercise, excercise.

Nothing can replace it. Exercise is crucial to creating all the necessary components that lubricate your joints. I strongly suggest you do not do impact exercise or play sports that involve sudden changes of side to side direction. Or anything that requires pivoting on one foot, or pivoting in general. Soccer, basketball, snowboarding......these are all horrible things to do to a knee if its injured. For rehab you need to work on hamstring strengthening exercises, squats, lunges, etc. Here's  a decent overview -

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/knee-pain/medial-cartilage-meniscus-injury/strengthening-meniscus-injuries

Deadlifting? Probably the scariest thing you could ever do for you knee. You are crazy. Its difficult for me to do squats and you want to put that kind of weight to your knee's? Your diagnosis says strained ACL, most likely torn meniscus expect your knee to fully explode one of these days doing deadlifting. Deadlifting is not for someone who has prior knee injuries. 

You are pointing at your ACL in the picture, or at least where I feel pain when I injure my ACL. The ACL is inside, at the center, a twisting sort of ligament so its hard to point to it, but easy to point to the area's that are most commonly effected by the lack of it being there, which means subluxations that forces the muscle groups surrounding that area to be violated like cartman with aliens.

My personal advice is avoid taking any pain medication. Especially heavy stuff, but even minor things like NSAID's are really really bad for your kidneys. I took them for years before I realized how bad they were and now im dealing with not-functioning-so-well kidney's. More importantly, pain is your bodies indicator that something is wrong. You need to listen to that pain and let it guide you. Supplements I take for joint health is - glucosamine + MSM + Chondroitin , Omega 3's  (3g a day of DHA/EPA), Ginger, Turmeric, Moringa Olefera, St John's Wort.. All the supplements I listed have a background of showing results in clinical trials at reducing inflammation.

Second most important to your knee, but the most important in general - Diet Diet Diet. Inflammation can be reduced by not eating inflammatory foods! If you do all the shit above, but then wreck yourself with cheeseburgers french fries and milk shakes then you're a lost cause. Get on that keto diet! Stick with it! 

Some things I've found to be generally true despite all my problems - Happiness is the most important pain relieving medicine. Thats not some hippy bullshit statement either, im being serious. The more happy you are, the less pain you will feel. There is a reason, because energy and happiness are directly linked, and energy and circulation are directly linked. A happier person, a healthier person, the better distribution your body has to take care of its needs. The better your body can send the good stuff to the bad area's when you have quality of life. When im learning new things on my bike and actually doing it, my pain is never present despite how hard I crash. 

But to be happy you need to first fix your diet :) Thats the biggest role in setting the standard baseline of "where do we go from here". Fix that and everything will follow. Dont fix that and you'll struggle no matter what you try. Take it from me, it took me 7 years to find out about keto life and I've been struggling 4 out of those 7 years trying everything under the sun to optimize my health and energy (once I started getting older and body stopped working the same, its amazing what shit your body will put up in your 20's!). All the stimulants, pre workouts and other crap cannot even compare to a well regulated keto diet.

For lol's, here's a video of me less than a week ago subluxating  my ACL practicing a new trick that took me 4 months to learn. 4 months, hours every session working on this particular trick, landed it once in 4 months then the other day it finally clicked and landed it 5 times in one hour. Then I landed funky and my left acl got violated. I recently started my keto diet and i've never healed faster. after 2 days I was back on my bike. that a record. I am healing way faster than normal. Take note that my legs are crossed in a X doing this. Its a really fucked up position for knee' injuries, but if you keep your feet straight and dont put too much weight on the knee when pivoting you can get away with this crap! Thats why I can bmx, because 99.9% of the time my feet are pointed forward, no twisting! The danger is in the falling :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Yi1VPXCQQ

Good luck!

• AndreasAndreas
    edited August 2016

Get a PEMF ICES device if you can afford it.  It really helps healing and recovery from injuries.

I also suggest that you substitute posterior chain exercises like "glute ham" and "reverse hyper", for dead lifts and squats until you have full healed.

• This was posted on other threads but it does work for your situation also. I hope people try to get correct information before trying extreme measures on any type of knee injury.

Yes you can rebuild cartlidge. You really have to understand what cartlidge is, and it does grow back. I'm not going to make this any more complicated than it has to be. Because of the lack of blood flow and nerve supply, cartlidge grows mush slower than other tissue. That is the basics. Here are my tips on understanding cartlidge better.

1. Saving my knees book
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004JHYTEI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477386018&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Saving+My+Knees

The author explains his battle with a near crippling cartlidge injury.

http://dougkelsey.com
    Doug Kelsey is the person mentioned in the book. He designed the cartlidge rebuilding program. Follow the program. Step by step.

http://Micro-Pulse.com

Buy a Micro-Pulse pemf unit and begin using it right away.

This is from my own personal experience. I have done all the above and I will tell you. It all works!
  • A follow-up study of the in-practice results of pulsed electromagnetic field therapy in the management of nonunion fractures

https://www.dovepress.com/a-follow-up-study-of-the-in-practice-results-of-pulsed-electromagnetic-peer-reviewed-article-ORR