How Much Honey Before Bed?

I want to try out the honey sleep hack, but I have read different directions on how much to take, even on bulletproof articles (from 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon). How much is really recommended to take, and any other members who use this sleep hack (is it working?) and how much do you take?

Comments

• edited June 2016
    I have been doing the honey hack for months now. One tablespoon of organic wild forest honey just before bed. It really works and I also notice better clarity in the morning. Not sure if it's down to better sleep or something the honey is doing to fuel my brain.

It also fixed another issue I had where I would get pain in my liver location after periods of time on intermittent fasting. This has completely gone away now and I can only assume it has something to do with honey replenishing glycogen levels in my liver.

• I have been doing the honey hack for months now. One tablespoon of organic wild forest honey just before bed. It really works and I also notice better clarity in the morning. Not sure if it's down to better sleep or something the honey is doing to fuel my brain.

It also fixed another issue I had where I would get pain in my liver location after periods of time on intermittent fasting. This has completely gone away now and I can only assume it has something to do with honey replenishing glycogen levels in my liver.

That sounds nice! Have you also tried to mix that honey with some mct oil to see if that can even boost the effect even more?

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    It's not necessarily a honey sleep hack, fast digesting carbs of any type before bed will help sleep, you just have to time it so that your blood sugar is on the way down when you go to bed, otherwise you will be going to bed energized haha.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • I combine it with Magnesium. Tried with brain octane before and didn't sleep too well and didn't feel great the next morning. I guess everyone is different!

The significant effect for me was something I didn't expect and that is the complete alleviation of the pain in the liver area that I was experiencing after long periods of intermittent fasting.
  • dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

... fast digesting carbs of any type before bed will help sleep, you just have to time it so that your blood sugar is on the way down when you go to bed, otherwise you will be going to bed energized haha.

^ Not sure if this is what happened to me the other night...

But about 2 hrs before bed I took ~15 grams of dextrose & 1/3 tsp of bicarb, on a whim.

I won't be trying that again, worst sleep ever, seemed to be awake all night.

fake it till you make it

• It's not necessarily a honey sleep hack, fast digesting carbs of any type before bed will help sleep, you just have to time it so that your blood sugar is on the way down when you go to bed, otherwise you will be going to bed energized haha.

But you are supposed to take the honey as close to sleep time as possible? Or am I missing something? (I will take it about 20-30 mins before closing my eyes, since I like to read a bit before sleeping)

Btw, what about brushing your teeth? I guess you have to do it after you take the honey? :p

I have read that you should not really brush your teeth in 20 minutes after eating something as that wears down the teeth. That would be a problem though since then it would be even further from sleeptime I would take the honey to time that in..

• I brush teeth properly then take honey just before sleeping and do a very quick brush to remove any fructose from my teeth. Not much brushing is required once you have already brushed properly before.
    You guys are overthinking this a bit and 15g is too subtle to really get it, about an hour before bed have 60-75g then pay attention, you'll get super jacked then feel sleepy, go to bed right when you start feeling sleepy, if you wait too long you'll just return to normal, too soon and you'll be awake for a while and too pissed off about it to get to sleep.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,

• You guys are overthinking this a bit and 15g is too subtle to really get it, about an hour before bed have 60-75g then pay attention, you'll get super jacked then feel sleepy, go to bed right when you start feeling sleepy, if you wait too long you'll just return to normal, too soon and you'll be awake for a while and too pissed off about it to get to sleep.

Sorry, but what was the 15g to subtle reffering to?

Any fast digesting carbohydrate really, but the subject was honey, Daz's problem may have been more the bicarbonate than the dextrose.

Sorry, but what was the 15g to subtle reffering to?

• Qi_PowerQi_Power I'll help if I can

I'm going to try this one out, sounds low risk high gain

My baby:

AHCm5sm.jpg

1) My research into leaky gut, and colostrum as a healing supplement.

2) I had crazy insomnia for about 6 straight months. I found a solution, you can read my story on PEMF sleep therapy here.

3) I've been successfully making a full-time income online now for 10 years (running online businesses) eg Samurai Web Consulting - hit me up if interested in private coaching or SEO Consultancy.