What Was In Your Salad Today?

SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Don't be shy, I know you ate a salad today. What was in it?

Mine was: Roasted chicken breast, spring mix, raw broccoli slaw, slivered almonds, kalamata olives, a touch of parmesan and a generous glug of Primal Kitchen greek dressing (with avocado oil). Very tasty.

And you?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Some bug I cannot reproduce atm.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

A bug??

I'm all for eating "whole, natural" foods, but that's too far for me.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭
    'Twas a salad with rucola, two avocados, smoked sockeye salmon, cucumber and mustard. I forgot the bacon, which obviously would have made it better.
    edited June 2016

^^Oh, man. That sounds excellent. I haven't had smoked salmon in a little while. I might have to buy some and whip up something similar. With the bacon, of course!

• No salad for me, but I did eat a huge helping of sautéed spinach along with bacon and an avocado.

Close enough; that's still pretty salad-like!

All this talk of bacon has me craving some. For dinner today I did roasted brussel sprouts and bacon, but I still want more. Hnnngh.

• great idea to put the sockeye in with the salad :) I Just had some parsley and rucola with the red lettuce variety- BUT it was all freshly picked from my garden :)

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

great idea to put the sockeye in with the salad :) I Just had some parsley and rucola with the red lettuce variety- BUT it was all freshly picked from my garden :)

Smoked salmon and avocado is a great combo, but it needs something crunchy in my opinion.

• Kind of a salad -- I had steamed cabbage, with bulletproof guacamole for dressing >u<

I feel icky eating non-organic greens... and I have to trek pretty far for organic lettuce and such so, I tend to end up with cabbage. Man I really want a good salmon salad now!

Also I cant get decent pork... but craving that now too haha. Good salad inspiration! 

• if you can get grassfed beef thats all you need :) ground beef patties are cheap enough if you make em yourself :-D I heard japans vegetables are much less sprayed than US or even Europes stuff. any merit to that?

edited June 2016
    This was my breakfast today. I was at Panera doing some writing and picked up a salad. If memory serves, it was kale, romaine, kalamata olives, chicken breast, toasted almonds, sun dried tomatoes, quinoa, cucumber and some kinda Greek dressing. It was really frigging good.

Not 100% bulletproof, perhaps, but about as good as it gets at a chain cafe. I may or may not have had a gluten free chocolate cookie on the side...

6429FA87-2D36-4A90-B149-CFFC9BAEC75A_zps

• if you can get grassfed beef thats all you need :) ground beef patties are cheap enough if you make em yourself :grin: I heard japans vegetables are much less sprayed than US or even Europes stuff. any merit to that?

I havent been able to confidently find grassfed beed >< the best source (TheMeatGuy) blatently has a rant post about how he doesnt believe in 100 percent grass fed and that they grain finish all their meat.... his rant was pretty crazy so I dont really trust that company so much after reading it.

Also I havent done extensive research yet on the produce in Japan, so have been working on the assumption that they modeled their industrial agriculture off of the US (and stay away from The Dirty Dozen veggies).

There is a LOT of local agriculture, I see people gardening and selling their 1 lot produce at the grocery store -- so I favor this local food. But Ive also seen those same old ladies spraying their 1 lot crops by hand with pump pesticide tools... sooo... not sure what theyre putting on them, or which crops get sprayed the most. 

• Beef, onions, mustard, wait...

Simply spring mix, lemon thyme, rainbow trout, and rice vinegar. I'm a minimalist. I think I'll stick to chicken. Beef's too heavy, and the fish didn't meld super well with the salad flavor. Both of those are too delicious on their own to be corrupted, anyway. Still, the salad was far from horrible. I freaking love olives, but it's hard to cheaply source them. Cucumbers are best on their own in vinegar IMO. I should try to find some good feta. And I have raspberries fruiting in my backyard...

This thread may have just inspired a better salad in my near future...

Today's lunch:

Romaine, roasted chicken, cucumber, kalamata olives, organic/grassfed Parmesan, Primal Kitchen Greek dressing and a bit of avocado oil for good measure. And pomegranate LaCroix to drink cuz I like to live dangerously.

461EA3C8-9F7D-4BEA-8FB5-DFCC3F45EDFB_zps

• mistamista
    edited August 2016

Yesterday's lunch with grass-fed lamb + bison:  Cauliflower, Cabbage, Lettuce, Spinach, Kale, Pistachio, Shiitake Mushrooms, Turmeric, Fenugreek, Onions, Maqui Berry, Garlic, Ginger, Purple Carrots, Parsley, 400+ polyphenol extra virgin olive oil, Artichoke Hearts, Peppers, Bok Choy, and some other randomness into a 1500kcal salad bowl larger than my head.  Washed down with a tall glass of 1st flush green tea, CoQ10 + PQQ, Chelated Magnesium, Iodine, Silica, a small amount of fish oil, a b-complex, and some ashwagandha.