Best Post Meal Workout

Not sure if it's better to have:  

1. smoothie with something along the lines of:

Protein powder (I can't do whey so I use Amy Myer's  Paleo Protein powder) - about 19 grams 

1/2 cup coconut milk

1- 2 TBS walnut Butter

1/2 cup frozen berries

handful parsesly, kale, etc

cinnamon

OR 

2. a salad with protein sources and veges

Also, is it a problem if I waited an hour or so to eat after my workout? Not interested in bulking up, just want to preserve muscle mass

Comments

• From being part of the bodybuilding community for years (and in general, always researching about this sort of thing), the wisdom has been that after a workout your body wants nutrients quickly, and a liquid meal could best accomplish this. I have also heard that the best window is within 45 minutes after. This all points to the shake.

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    50 carbs, 25g protein, 0-10g fat
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Jason - Why so little fat? That's very hard to do!

Fat serves no purpose here, all it does is slow the digestion of carbohydrates and the post workout meal, fat does not replenish glycogen, exercise boosts insulin sensitivity, it is literally the time to consume carbs. Save fats for away from training when fat metabolism is active (at rest).
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Jason, how long do you wait post work out to consume the meal?
    edited July 2016
    As soon as convenient, though true that you have all the way until your next workout to replenish glycogen, the sooner you do, the faster the recovery, and insulin sensitivity is increased for around 6hrs post workout. So if you piled it all together you would end up with: get as much as you can right away to recover quickly, after that, taper off gradually over the next 6hrs to take advantage of IS, then at that point you can switch back to fat metabolism to exercise metabolic flexability until your next workouts preworkout meal.
  • I recently read that eating right after a workout can suppress GH. Was told that It's best to wait at least an hour  or two to eat.

What do you know about that? 

edited July 2016
    Pretty much stepping over dollar bills to try and pick up pennies. That should be way at the bottom of the list of things you should even be thinking about, aside from the fact that no one has gone from eating post workout to not eating post workout for two hours and raved about how much mass and strength they are putting on. Until you have maximised your training program, maximised your caloric intake, have very well managed, maintained, and proportioned macros, maximised sleep, etc, you are leaving so much developement on the table it's absurd to think that you can match the effect or come anywhere near the effect of those with a weird meal timing trick. To be honest, probably the biggest effect you can have on your performance and muscle gain is to stop being low carb.
  • To be honest stopping low carb may have the biggest effect on ruining not only your performance and muscle gain but also your biomarkers (blood lipid and inflammation markers) and your overall health in general.

Okay, maybe that's dramatic, but certainly there is enough new research to show this could be the case. And further, irrespective of any research it's most importantly a case of what works best for you as an individual. Don't let anyone tell you that low carb won't work for you as you need to assess that on your own. It's worked immensely well for me and I can't imagine ever giving it up.

• For the past 3 - 4 years, my PWO meal has been:

Version 1:
    12oz raw, grass fed milk
    1/2c greek yogurt
    1 scoop whey protein

Version 2:
    12oz raw, grass fed milk
    1c kefir
    1 scoop whey protein

Version 3:
    1.5c Greek yogurt
    1 c kefir