Why Do I Get Headaches When Juicing Vegetables?

Wasssuppp!?

I'm curious if anyone else gets headaches after drinking juiced vegetables ?

For the past 40 days, I have been juicing first thing in the morning.

I have been using the same recipe that Joe Rogan uses:

Kale, Celery, Cucumber, Ginger, and a Pear.

For anyone thats curious, here is the video of him making one:

However, unlike Joe Rogan, I get headaches and feel weak and tired after I drink it.

I know there's something wrong here, but I dont know what it is.

Anyone have a "hack" on how to fix it?

Many thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential
    Remove single ingredients from your shake and identify which one is causing it. My guess would be it's either celery or ginger.
  • Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    edited January 2013
    Your brain might be trying to tell you "no! I want fat!" image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />/>. Bulletproof is our alpha brain.
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    Kale needs to be lightly steamed, raw kale is not bulletproof!
  • Thanks for your replies.

I'm going to test each suggestion, and I'll come back and report the results.

If anybody has other tips, please post them.
  • Pierre EklundPierre Eklund pierre.eklund@gmail.com
    Cook the kale and have it in your food, kale shakes are just over hyped.
  • So I shouldn't be making kale salads with raw uncooked kale? If it put it in a salad spinner with water (hot or cold?) would that work better? What is wrong with basic kale?
  • Pierre EklundPierre Eklund pierre.eklund@gmail.com
    'gramercy' wrote:

So I shouldn't be making kale salads with raw uncooked kale? If it put it in a salad spinner with water (hot or cold?) would that work better? What is wrong with basic kale?

It is because of oxalic acid. Its inflammatory and blocks your calcium absorption, can cause kidney stones in some people.

http://www.calciumrichfoods.org/reducing-oxalic-acid-vegetables/
    when I have kale I put in my high speed blender with some hot water and run it for like 30 sec, the color does brighten up a bit, there is steam, and I figure that the blending breaks it down so small that cooking time is fractional.
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    'Jason wrote:

when I have kale I put in my high speed blender with some hot water and run it for like 30 sec, the color does brighten up a bit, there is steam, and I figure that the blending breaks it down so small that cooking time is fractional.

Does it taste the same from when you cook or steam the kale? You can tell it work if the taste is consistent with the cooked kale.
    'Rod' wrote:

Does it taste the same from when you cook or steam the kale? You can tell it work if the taste is consistent with the cooked kale.

I've never cooked it, I've only used it in my post workout drink.
  • Any more results here??
  • To lightly cook/steam kale, I smoosh the raw leaves into a glass jar, pour boiling water to cover it all, cover with the lid and refrigerate. It seems to work well and you can make enough for a couple days plus you have the water that it was cooked in to add to your smoothie.
  • I would suggest that your headaches are a result of a release of toxins as your body tries to clean itself out. You can not get oxalic poisoning from the amounts of kale used in juicing or eating it raw. Same as you cannot get it from eating green potatoes. You would have to eat enormous amounts of each to go anywhere near poisoning yourself.