Once Again, Scientific Evidence Supports Bulletproof/paleo/high-Fat

123457»

Comments

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Haha, just listened to the latest Quantified Body podcast, after a long super sciencey discussion of biochemistry and fat soluble vitamins, Chris Masterjohn says that if he were to make a recommendation to the general public of one thing to track it would be......caloric intake! (Followed by macros).

Lol, boo! Another one bites the dust.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited July 2016

Haha, just listened to the latest Quantified Body podcast, after a long super sciencey discussion of biochemistry and fat soluble vitamins, Chris Masterjohn says that if he were to make a recommendation to the general public of one thing to track it would be......caloric intake! (Followed by macros).

Masterjohn also recently posted a "What I eat" article in which he mentions eating a minimum of 100g carbs at breakfast on days he works out. So much for IF. This is to support a crossfit style workout:

To be clear, I did not restrict fat during my period of weight loss because I think that restricting fat is superior for weight loss than restricting other calories. I focused on restricting fat during that period because I found that my CrossFit workouts were causing me to need an amount of carbohydrate that I would not be able to get while restricting calories unless I biased my restriction of calories towards restricting fat.

So he's maintaining a set caloric intake, eating deliberately to power his workouts, (eating to perform?) and therefore has to swap some fat calories for carb calories... maybe this Jason Miller character is on to something? 

Unrelated-ish, and what will make this only my second post involving sloths, I recently read this Motherboard article on sloth evolution where it mentions those lazy bastards have a daily metabolic burn of only 110 calories per day! Basically one potato. I didn't think it warranted it's own post, even in Gangster Banter, but I think it's interesting to point out: if your diet is primarily low-calorie leafy greens, you'll become slow and lazy. So slow you could have a cardinal sin named after you.

In people for whom ketones kill hunger to the point of making it an unreliable metric for food intake, as they seem to for me, this is important to remember. When I went too low calorie accidentally, I was low-energy and slothful without even realizing it. Calories can be about energy and quality of life, not just body composition. Eat nutritionally and calorically dense foods and perhaps even count calories to make sure you don't end up like this guy:

tumblr_nxvtivD4WF1ry6gggo1_1280.png

• Would anyone like to comment on the 'carbs make you hungry' statement/myth. 

Ever since I started become more and more conscious of what I eat and how it makes me feel; and ever since I for the most part "fixed" my gut and metabolism I have noticed that carbs no longer make me hungry almost no matter what the carb source is. No matter what I eat for breakfast whether its BPC; a bowl of wheat berries, honey, and whey; or eggs and bacon; or nothing or any combination I typically am not hungry and eat lunch out of habit. Its not like I have to force my lunch down, but its not like all I can think about in the morning is my hunger and food.

Are those of you who consciously eat more carbs to fuel performance really get anymore hungry after eating carbs or workouts? If you are on a good scheduled in terms of timing meals and training does that affect hunger? Is the idea still to use calorie and macro tracking to start to be able to train your own sense of when you need to eat?

And to sort of stay on topic for a little bit. MLS it looked like you were headed towards the darkside, but Im glad something in you decides to stick with it, you truly are the embodiment of the BP dogma. 

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Would anyone like to comment on the 'carbs make you hungry' statement/myth. 

Are those of you who consciously eat more carbs to fuel performance really get anymore hungry after eating carbs or workouts? If you are on a good scheduled in terms of timing meals and training does that affect hunger? Is the idea still to use calorie and macro tracking to start to be able to train your own sense of when you need to eat?

Carbs around exercise don't make me hungry. If I'm eating well they don't away from exercise either. But if I have a rare cheat-day style dalliance, I do get hungry from lots of carbs, which I believe correlates to blood sugar dropping back down to the 100 mg/dL-ish level from much higher levels, 2-4 hours after the carbs. But I am aware it is sort of a false hunger, just a message from my stomach saying "feed me" not a reliable signal from my body for nutrition. Understanding that subtle difference took time and tracking, though. 

I think the idea is to use calorie and macro tracking as 1) an occasional check-in to make sure my intake seems sensible, or 2) during muscle gain or a fat cut to achieve a desired difference in energy balance despite hunger telling me to eat more or less. Because I have a setup to easily track what I eat most days, I also use it to 3) be able to look back at my nutrition, exercise, and body composition in the past, if I want to recreate a change or just check where I was a year ago. 

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    No, they don't make me more hungry, most people that would experience that issue are likely eating a low calorie meal, or low protein, or rapid digesting or all three.

Would anyone like to comment on the 'carbs make you hungry' statement/myth.

Ever since I started become more and more conscious of what I eat and how it makes me feel; and ever since I for the most part "fixed" my gut and metabolism I have noticed that carbs no longer make me hungry almost no matter what the carb source is. No matter what I eat for breakfast whether its BPC; a bowl of wheat berries, honey, and whey; or eggs and bacon; or nothing or any combination I typically am not hungry and eat lunch out of habit. Its not like I have to force my lunch down, but its not like all I can think about in the morning is my hunger and food.

And to sort of stay on topic for a little bit. MLS it looked like you were headed towards the darkside, but Im glad something in you decides to stick with it, you truly are the embodiment of the BP dogma.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,

It's not an option for me. It's really the only thing that works. If I ever get the mold out of my basement and start to recover from leaky gut from constant mycotoxin exposure, perhaps I'll be able to try some different things with diet, and maybe start lifting again (which would allow for more carbs, even in the morning). I've gotten fairly carb-tolerant though for sure, compared to where I was 3 years ago.

• CallenCallen
    edited July 2016

No, they don't make me more hungry, most people that would experience that issue are likely eating a low calorie meal, or low protein, or rapid digesting or all three.

That's not my experience at all. Carbs definitely make me hungry. Others I know, both in real life and online, share that sentiment. I'm getting plenty of calories and protein, and I've timed my carb consumption in such a way to take them after workouts 'n all that.

I'm not demonizing carbs, for I think they serve a great purpose and are essential (at least once a week in large amounts). But they definitely keep me satiated for far fewer hours than do fats.

• Pre-BP, I used to train first thing in the morning, pretty hard for around an hour or so usually, then i'd have a monster smoothie with kefir, avocado, whey, and a ton of fruit...bananas, berries, a handful of dried fruit... then i'd have a major dip in energy, feel inclined to nap and stuff, feel a bit bloated, and maybe get a little more hungry than i should be. i think it was a combination of sub-optiminal workout timing and/or too much fat for a PWO meal (but avocados and kefir were so hip!). The only other instance of "carbs making me hungry" i think is having super tasty foods that are a combination of fat and carbs (ya know, ice cream and stuff) and wanting to eat too much of it because it tastes so good. 

oh, and speaking of Chris Masterjohn, crossfit, and keto, he just did a podcast on that very topic. 

• I always enjoy seeing people spending hours over many months debating topics. Believe what you believe and stop trying to ram it down other people's throats.

@GaryJetpack said:
    I always enjoy seeing people spending hours over many months debating topics. Believe what you believe and stop trying to ram it down other people's throats.

Some feel that beliefs are greater than facts.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,

@Jason Miller said:

@GaryJetpack said:
    I always enjoy seeing people spending hours over many months debating topics. Believe what you believe and stop trying to ram it down other people's throats.

Some feel that beliefs are greater than facts.

You gather information and come to a conclusion. For instance, there is conflicting data on global warming, as well as evidence that it is being tampered. It is my belief that the climate change scare is a complete hoax, having gathered from all sources. Current scientific literature is conflicting in so many departments, that it may as well be religion. If you don't recognize that the data you're reading might amount to something more akin to hearsay than absolute truth, you're kidding yourself.

@Modern Life Survivalist l When you see a YouTube video or a junk study that agrees with your world view you say "see I told you so", when someone presents you with high quality facts and data that is in conflict with your world view you say "that's a conspiracy funded by elitists to oppress mankind". Unfortunately, your confirmation bias prevents you from learning anything other than what you want to believe. Personally I am completely indifferent to what the facts show as long as it is quality data, you are unable to produce data to support what you are saying, I am not.

@Jason Miller said:
    @Modern Life Survivalist l When you see a YouTube video or a junk study that agrees with your world view you say "see I told you so", when someone presents you with high quality facts and data that is in conflict with your world view you say "that's a conspiracy funded by elitists to oppress mankind". Unfortunately, your confirmation bias prevents you from learning anything other than what you want to believe. Personally I am completely indifferent to what the facts show as long as it is quality data, you are unable to produce data to support what you are saying, I am not.

Always look at the source and who is pushing a narrative convenient to their agenda. https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/10/28/astroturfing-media-manipulation.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20171028Z1&et_cid=DM163343&et_rid=100402349

@Modern Life Survivalist said:

@Jason Miller said:

Always look at the source and who is pushing a narrative convenient to their agenda. https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/10/28/astroturfing-media-manipulation.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20171028Z1&et_cid=DM163343&et_rid=100402349

That’s why it’s extremely important to educate yourself, be well familiarized with the tools of logic, and know how to read and interpret data instead of reading the intro and summary. If someone chooses to just parrot their favourite blogger or believe only that which agrees with their stance regardless of quality, the intellectual damage is far greater in those cases. If a high quality fact is presented, it does not matter who presents it. One of the worst examples of this is Gary Taubes, he straight up refuses to accept any data that goes against his belief, and it does not matter how high quality or who provides it, the cognitive dissonance is astounding.

123457»