Onnit Total Gut Health

sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in General Discussion

2752.png?ver&w=439&full=false

https://www.onnit.com/total-gut-health/

What are everyone's thoughts on the new prebiotic/probiotic/digestive enzymes offering from Onnit? I'm going with this one as a convenient one-stop-shop for digestive health since my other stacks and protocols are already complicated (and expensive) enough, and for what you get the price is fairly competitive vs building this type of stack myself. Plus I already had an Onnit order to make, so why not save some time and effort? Here's what we've got going on:

total-gut-health-supplement-facts.png?20As an added bonus these do not have to be refrigerated, which means a hardier bacteria and higher quality encapsulation method, and includes s. boulardii which I've found is difficult to find in a high quality at a decent price point. (I've noticed this trend of including s. boulardii across a few probiotic brands this year. Very interesting!)

(If anyone has any affiliate links for uBiome or a similar service shoot me a PM, I'd like to be able to do before-and-after cultures and see just how well this works out!)

Comments

• When you take it, try and figure out which capsule is which.  Take the enzymes and HCL with food and the probiotics on an empty stomach (when you first wake up, and right before bed) for optimal results.  Taking live bacteria/yeast cultures with digestive enzymes and HCL kind of defeats the purpose.

You may, or may not see results with a uBiome test kit.  Their test is generalized to class/order and does not look for specific species.  It is hard to determine the efficacy of a probiotic supplement from such a test.  What we do at Fix Your Gut is buy a maximum media state auger and try to get a live culture just to see if anything grows.  Then, I take it to the microbiology lab at A&M and I ask them what is growing in the dish.  9 times out of 10, I don't see any growth with commercial probiotics, and about half the time, when something does grow, it's not the advertised strain.

There is a theory that you receive some benefit from dead bacteria and yeasts because it stimulates the immune system.  In fact, there are published studies with commercial probiotics, that have proven to be bunk, showing positive changes in health.  If this is the case, maybe it is best to take all seven capsules at once with meals.

Onnit made some good choices with the enzymes.  If you have any sort of reflex after you eat, or silent reflux at night, you want to avoid taking this because the pepsin will convert to peptidase when it mixes with the HCL which could damage your esophagus and increase your cancer risk.  The choice of bacteria and yeast strains were pretty well informed too.

All in all, it seems like a pretty decent product and a good value. If they are sending live strains, they should have separated it into a two-part packet - with meals/empty stomach.  If the strains are inactive, it probably doesn't matter.

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Great advice! I'll have to check with the microbiology lab at my university and see about having them do sample analysis as well. (I'm also going to ask them to run an analysis on Homebiotic from Upgraded Self, since the Upgraded Self staff are adamant about not telling consumers what is in there. That irks me, every other effective microorganism product I've ever seen tells you what strains are in it.)

Taking live bacteria/yeast cultures with digestive enzymes and HCL kind of defeats the purpose.

This had entirely slipped my mind! When reading back through the info on the product page it looks like Onnit took this into consideration when making their formula (and I wonder if they have some sort of time-release or micro-encapsulation method for their probiotic dispersal):

"If you’re taking probiotics, you want to make sure they survive all the way to your small intestine. Your stomach does a great job of killing most everything that comes through. That’s why we’ve selected 5 of the most important naturally acid-resistant strains: L. acidophilus DDS-1, L. plantarum, L. rhamnosus, B. infantis, and B. lactis."

I'd defer to you on the actual rate of digestive survivability for these strains, but judging by Onnit's track record with other supplements I expect that they have gone through some intensive testing to ensure that a significant portion survives the digestion process.

I appreciate the advice and I'll be keeping copious notes when I start taking them and posting my findings, both from a subjective daily-feeling point of view and a more quantified perspective.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Great advice! I'll have to check with the microbiology lab at my university and see about having them do sample analysis as well. (I'm also going to ask them to run an analysis on Homebiotic from Upgraded Self, since the Upgraded Self staff are adamant about not telling consumers what is in there. That irks me, every other effective microorganism product I've ever seen tells you what strains are in it.)

Sweet, let us know the results.

• Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

First, we should determine whether they are live strains.  It could be a moot point.

All of those strains can survive for a period of time in low stomach pH.  With food, you have the addition of enzymes than can lyse their cell walls.  On top of that, we are adding in exogenous acids and enzymes that create an even less hospitable environment.  Even after all of that, some will still survive, but most people want to get the most bang for their buck and take them on an empty stomach during the times when stomach pH is highest.

Something that I have learned recently is that most of the lactobacillus geni are active in the uppergut.  In these instances, we don't necessarily care if they reach the small intestine, but the cultures still have an incubation period.  For that to happen, an empty stomach is more stable because MMC function is lowest keeping them in the uppergut longer to establish.

If it were my supplement, I would make it into a two part packet, but you can probably figure out what substrate is in which packet and take them at the optimal times.  No big deal.

This had entirely slipped my mind! When reading back through the info on the product page it looks like Onnit took this into consideration when making their formula (and I wonder if they have some sort of time-release or micro-encapsulation method for their probiotic dispersal):

• How can you tell the difference in the tablets?

I have been taking them all at once for a week now and haven't really felt any difference. I want to take the pre & Pro-biotic on an empty stomach to see if that helps

• I traveled through Burma for a month, and I took a bunch of these packets with me. The convenience of having shelf-stable packets for when you're on the go is definitely a plus. I can also say that traveling through a third world country, staying in villages and eating a lot of questionable food, I never once got food poisoning nor sick. My good bacteria game was STRONG! Since I've made gut health a priority in my life through diet, bone broths, and supplements, I've noticed huge improvements in my overall health, mood, and my skin has even cleared up. I love these packets—they make gut health easy.