Which One Would Be Better?

RekaReka ✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in Wealth Hacking

Hello masterminds,

Since it seems nobody wants to give me a challenging job and I see almost no way to advance in my current fields I am thinking about getting into IT.

Currently I'm doing a free online Python course and it goes quite well. After I finish it I want to take another course, a paid one, because even though I love the logic and find it easy and I can learn the coding itself on my own, I lack so much of the technical background, which I need to make up for.

Which one would give me better chances for an international career (I want to work in Germany): Java or web developing? These two courses I like, they would give me the technical knowledge I'm missing, and I can progress in my own pace so it will be as fast as I can progress with it, and I want to do it as fast as possible.

Ok, summary: do I have better chances to start working in a technical field, and hopefully in Germany, as a Java programmer or as a web developer? After the entry level stage, which one will give me a better career?

I suspect that it will be Java for the long term. But I want to learn people's opinions who know more about the IT fields than I do. I see job ads for both.

Is it maybe something else? There are lots of courses but only these two give me the possibility to make faster progress and finish earlier if I want.

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I'm not an IT-pro, but I have been coding since I was around twelve in several languages. It has helped to learn other programming languages much faster. Right now I do a fair amount of data analysis for which I need to make small and fast applications, but I am by no means an expert. My point is that it's difficult to become a coding expert, it will take several years at least. I started programming in C, but I was young, very curious and had plenty of free time (and of course the internet). It has helped a lot on how to think like a computer, and if I did continue with it throughout college I might have been an expert, but I didn't so I stick with less complex applications.

Python is a good place to start, but I would also suggest to focus on how to apply that knowledge into something useful. There are a lot of courses on data analysis on EdX, Coursera or similar platforms. Usually these courses combine the theory with application in some programming language. But that's my preference, yours might be different.

Anyway, the question is how deep/complex do you want to go, what kind of jobs would you find interesting and challenging, how much education can you stack on top of your current job, etc. And of course learn German on Duolingo if needed.  B)

Again, I don't exactly work in IT, except that we all work in IT to a certain degree nowadays. Hopefully some real IT-pro's can comment.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    I'd pick Java over web development. Java is everywhere and is quite difficult. Master that and web development will be a hobby.

Maybe you could try developing some mobile apps for yourself as "real projects" so you can experience the entire lifecycle for real.

In my experience, mainland Europe wants a degree level education. But what a coincidence, isn't uni free in Germany?
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭

Thanks guys, for the informative answers and advices. I will take the Java then, and practice as much as I can. Also got started on Duolingo. 

I will want to go deeper with time, but the immediate plan is to find a beginner job in the field (the courses all promise that they deliver everything one needs to know to start working as a beginner) and improve myself by doing it. I already have two degrees so I didn't really plan to spend years getting a third one, even though it would probably have better market value.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Since living in Germany and working in the Games industry (browser games are mostly what you will find over here) and having a strong IT background I say both Java and Web Development are great choices for making a career.

However I strongly suggest don't do games. Go for big companies like Google and stuff... Depends on your goals of course. Look what company you wanna work for and try to find out what they need.

• I'm a backend .Net developer from the netherlands. I worked at a consulting agency a year ago and the Java guys were in higher demand back then. They also made more money.

If you go for Java, they have a certification program. The first level is easy to do, the second one is alot harder. Maybe a good step to get the first one

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited February 17

So, I finished the Java course, the exam is equivalent to the Oracle Java SE 7 II, and I finished it at the end of January. Still learning since then and practicing. I also applied for 6 beginner jobs, and got invited to 4 interviews. Not easy to get started because I cannot afford to earn less than what I'm making right now, so I think I will have to go to bigger companies because they pay more. From last summer, I cut back on my workouts and other activities considerably to spend as much time practicing and studying as I can.
    Thanks for the advices, Java is a lot of fun and I'm enjoying it so much. Hope to find a good job with it where I can improve full-time.

• Reka, how much di you pay for the Java course??

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

@bpjane said:
    Reka, how much di you pay for the Java course??

It was in the range of 660-670 euros. Six months, classes one afternoon every 2-3 weeks, the rest is practice on our own and e-learning. This is the cheapest course actually, there are some which cost more than 3,000 euros and last for a year or 1.5 years, those are also full-time so you cannot do them while also having a job.