I Am A Newbie, Ketosis, Vegetables

Hi I am a nutrition and wellness consultant who has Celiac disease, 17 yrs into menopause (hysterectomy) and age 51.  I am no stranger to low carb high fat diets always used KerryGold and Organic Coconut Oil.  I have done days of watching Dave's videos and bought the new cookbook and due to my celiac eating low carb is a wonderful thing.   I love avacados ( I eat 1 a day), went food shopping for spices, and fresh market for some organic veggies and carrots and here is my question..

I need to lose 15lbs the same 15lbs the last 4 years I have tried everything to lose, being low carb and I have never able to get into ketosis....So how to go and stay into ketosis with carrots and avacados??...(my brain says that carrots are high glycemic)  so little confused how to get into ketosis eating carrots..

I also purchased the B/O oil and charcoal and Glutathione Force and I have been doing BF coffee but never fasting, as I usually eat 3 eggs for breakfast which I will stop.

How to stay in ketosis with carrots and other questionable veggies???  I love my salads I live on them. I bought the Bulletproof Cookbook to get ideas of other meals.  I do not eat out due to cross contamination (It happens too much)..

I already take all 10 supplements suggested as well as prescription Naturethroid (TSH, T3, T4 perfect), on bio-identical testosterone cream with 5mg DHEA and pregnenelone in it as well as 10mg progesterone.  I take chrysin to not obtain too much estrogen, 17 years female cancer free!!

Thanks for your input..Connie

Comments

• HegReg33HegReg33 ✭✭
    edited June 2016

You sort of can't. Stay low on the carbs (>20-30g) and you should still be in sufficient ketosis. Vinegar tends to help stimulate ketosis independent of other things (alcohol does too, but not recommended), and some MCTs definitely do, as they are directly metabolized into ketones.

Given you consume the same amount of carbs, high glycemic may be a good thing for ketosis. Blood sugar rises faster, insulin rises faster, blood sugar is stored as fat faster, and ketosis resumes faster. You'll just be a little fatter, but you'll be producing more ketones overall. That's just my guess, but it makes intuitive sense at the very least. It really depends on why you want to be in ketosis. So why do you want to be in ketosis?

Another simple option is to burn off those carbs after you eat them. Wham, bam, less glucose makes it to your brain. Carbs could be gone in a single HIIT session, depending on how many damn carrots you eat. This is recommended, as veggies are super-important for reasons beyond simply macronutrients. Limiting veggies for the sake of cutting carbs, especially long term, can have disastrous health effects. And especially if you're a newbie, just ignore the mumbo-jumbo and burn off your carbs, while keeping them reasonably low.

As for avocados, eat 'em up. They're low enough on carbs (about 3g per large avocado, vs a whopping 30g of fat... couldn't eat 30g of avocado carbs if you tried), and too loaded with nutrients to pass up. And they'll fill you right up.

Glad to hear about being cancer-free, Connie :)

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I always start gaining weight (body fat) when I add avocados to my diet...

Probably due to the ADD part (& nothing subtracted). So I personally avoid them, cos I don't want to subtract any foods at the moment.

Just my n1 observation. I'm not on a keto diet either.

fake it till you make it

• You sort of can't. Stay low on the carbs (>20-30g) and you should still be in sufficient ketosis. Vinegar tends to help stimulate ketosis independent of other things (alcohol does too, but not recommended), and some MCTs definitely do, as they are directly metabolized into ketones.

Given you consume the same amount of carbs, high glycemic may be a good thing for ketosis. Blood sugar rises faster, insulin rises faster, blood sugar is stored as fat faster, and ketosis resumes faster. You'll just be a little fatter, but you'll be producing more ketones overall. That's just my guess, but it makes intuitive sense at the very least. It really depends on why you want to be in ketosis. So why do you want to be in ketosis?

Another simple option is to burn off those carbs after you eat them. Wham, bam, less glucose makes it to your brain. Carbs could be gone in a single HIIT session, depending on how many damn carrots you eat. This is recommended, as veggies are super-important for reasons beyond simply macronutrients. Limiting veggies for the sake of cutting carbs, especially long term, can have disastrous health effects. And especially if you're a newbie, just ignore the mumbo-jumbo and burn off your carbs, while keeping them reasonably low.

As for avocados, eat 'em up. They're low enough on carbs (about 3g per large avocado, vs a whopping 30g of fat... couldn't eat 30g of avocado carbs if you tried), and too loaded with nutrients to pass up. And they'll fill you right up.

Glad to hear about being cancer-free, Connie :)

Thank you for your response. With my nutrition knowledge i know carrots have higher gyc.index..but i made the lamb loaf last night that requires 3 carrots..it was delicious and satisfying. .it was dinner i walk in morning diring fast time...some of the recipes in the bp cookbook require carrots. .but I haven't had a meatloaf since celiac diagnosis a decade ago so happy dance to make a delicious dinner. .

I only want to get into ketosis to shed the weight ..overall the Intermittent Fasting is awesome til noon..then hunger creeps in, then I eat 2pm and the brain high goes away. ..interesting
  • 13 years into menopause and having fought the same 10 lbs for months now, and I finally figured out (I think) that I can't eat cheese, peanut butter, any nuts, careful of fruits, careful of veggies......I have to watch EVERYTHING I put in my mouth now!

Since reading Skye St. John's book and sticking to her lists, adding a MILD BPC, sticking with my usual 20:4 IF program, I have once again started dropping 1/2 to 1 lb a day. It remains to be seen how long it continues. I think as we age, especially as women, we have so much going on in our bodies ...it's just crazy.

• I eat carrots as well but only infrequently and I always eat some type of fat source with any vegetables that I consume. One option is to fast for the first one to four days (even the mimicking-style fast with low calories (i.e. two avocados per day plus water) which will certainly kick-start your ketosis. Dr. Wahl uses MCT oil (Brain Octane or any C8 oil/pill works even better at producing ketones) so that she can fit in more vegetables and still stay in ketosis.

Another option is to reduce calories and stick to the diet very strictly (no carb refeeds and the like) and then start to add in carrots and other preferred options at a late date when things are working well. When I used to cheat it would take me many days to get back into ketosis and now it takes only a very short time (though I rarely cheat now as I don't see the upside and my prior cravings for sweets have disappeared).

If I was starting a ketogenic diet again for the first time one piece of advice (other than take sea salt daily -- I take it in a small handful and wash it down with water) would be to not focus on weight loss initially and to instead try to focus on how I feel. The numerous positive effects of ketosis that I've experienced have meant much more to me than weight loss. Also, I packed on quite a bit of lean muscle mass so I tend to judge more by how my clothes fit than simply by weight.