Coffee Saturation Amount

Anyone know the optimal dose of coffee intake??  

Is there a saturation point based on a measurable quantifiable time limit?

For example, can you drink 4oz of coffee in a minute vs. 8oz and get the same effect?  Does more caffeine in a short period of time just extend the duration or perhaps intensity?

What's the minimum effective dose for coffee? a fluid ounce?  more?  less??

I realize there are number of factors.  Full stomach, empty stomach, roast, bulletproof vs. black, attenuation, etc.

But was just wondering if it'd be better to do a fast intake with a smaller or larger amount vs. a slow leisurely drip intake over say an hour or two?

Tagged:

Comments

• mistamista
    edited July 2016

I think somewhere in the 3-5 cup range is usually viewed as being optimal -- particularly if you have fast caffeine metabolism genetics and blood pressure / homocysteine / cholesterol are all in check.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/moderate-coffee-drinking-may-lower-risk-of-premature-death/

Compared to non-drinkers, coffee consumption one to five cups/d was associated with lower risk of mortality, while coffee consumption more than five cups/d was not associated with risk of mortality. However, when restricting to never smokers, compared to non-drinkers, the HRs of mortality were 0.94 (0.89 to 0.99) for ≤ 1 cup/d, 0.92 (0.87 to 0.97) for 1.1-3 cups/d, 0.85 (0.79 to 0.92) for 3.1-5 cups/d, and 0.88 (0.78 to 0.99) for > 5 cups/d (p for non-linearity = 0.32; p for trend < 0.001). Significant inverse associations were observed for caffeinated (p for trend < 0.001) and decaffeinated coffee (p for trend = 0.022). Significant inverse associations were observed between coffee consumption and deaths due to cardiovascular disease, neurological diseases, and suicide. No significant association between coffee consumption and total cancer mortality was found.

Conclusions—Higher consumption of total coffee, caffeinated coffee, and decaffeinated coffee was associated with lower risk of total mortality.

For a while, I was doing around 5 cups of strong black coffee in the morning (all consumed within around 30-60m, fasted.)  I found a caffeine tolerance quickly built up such that a coffee pot no longer had much pick-me-up action to it at all, so I would drink a pot then feel kind of burnt out through the afternoon.  I tapered down, then added in Theanine for a while.  At around 16-20g of grounds every other day with a pinch of matcha tea here and there, I seem to be able to maintain a lot of the productivity-boosting magic... although, lately I'm back up to ~5.5 cups of coffee + 2-4 cups of green tea divided over the day.  L-theanine / Taurine / Glycine can counter-act caffeine somewhat, but I find these seem to blunt the cognitive-boost for me.

I think less is probably more with coffee, where a slow roll and some cycling might maintain a better ratio of pros : cons.  Ymmv.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

Explained here:

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/cool-new-coffee-tea-infographic/

Well not all of your questions but some. Depends also on how you metaboilze it and stuff.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training