Camping, Travel, Climbing, Whey And Desert

JesseJesse
edited July 2016 in Travel Hacking

Below is my packing list (foodstuff only) for a trip to Denver this Thursday, July 14th. I'm going to Denver for 7 days and 7 nights. We'll be doing one overnight in Rocky Mountain National, and several day trips that revolve around climbing.

I have one checked bag...

Food (and accoutrements) packing list:

Brain Octain (I need a different travel container, the stock Bulletproof containers leak)

Butter (A stick a day...)

Collagen protein

Hot coco (coco powder, coco butter, butter, stevia)

More stevia (in individual packets)

Coconut fudge (coconut oil, coco powder, roasted hazelnuts)

Coffee (shaker bottle, hand grinder)

Honey

This packing list accomplishes two goals:

#1 It won't be a big deal to simply not-eat until mid-to-late afternoon if there isn't anything acceptable around

#2 I really like desert at night!!!! I'll have the ingredients for coconut fudge, but if I'm in my bivi in Rocky Mountain National, or need an easy desert - hot coco will do the trick very well!!!

(Third goal) I am considering... packing more nutritious sources of protein. e.g. smoked salmon or whey protein (I'm packing collagen). I don't own whey protein, and I'm not sure if it currently meets my needs. I understand it as an option, but I perceive it as my third or 4th choice almost-always.

1- Really good animal meat from a ruminant or wild caught salmon

2- Collagen (I can feel it's dramatic affect on my soft tissue repair and recovery)

3- Pastured eggs (I've only recently been able to find a reliable source for GREAT eggs, this ranking may change once I regularly get that supply)

4- Whey - and it seems a distant 4th; it seems like a commodity to me - PROTEIN - like (3-sets-of-12) or (an-hour-of-cardio). This may be a distant connection, but I may prefer to work out less so that I may require less protein, than need whey on a day-to-day.

Does anyone think whey has potential to add value to my trip, or should I just drink more collagen protein?

***That was a tangent****

What else is worth putting on my back for 6 miles and 3k elevation gain? (many of fats actually make so much sense, great energy-to-weight ratio)

#butterflyfight

Jesse

Comments

• The trip went well. I have a couple of tips and tricks to share. I hope this is helpful to someone. While I was on my trip listened to episode #111 with Bree Schaaf, Olympic bobsledder. It made me feel like I wasn't alone in my travel challenges as she talks about her difficulty with customs regarding pounds of butter.

While on my trip I carried a medium sized softside cooler and some re-freezable icepacks. It worked out really well. I was in Devner for most of the time - a couple of trips throughout the week to different grocery stores kept me stocked on avocados, frozen broccoli, and some high quality beef.

MCT, XCT, Brain octain:

It exploded in-flight stored in a marginal "Columbia" brand water bottle. I had it inside a softside cooler. It took some fuss, but I was able to transfer most of the oil into a container. It was an absolute mess, but I was overjoyed to recover at least 75% of my precious/expensive Brain Octane. Solution: A Platypus bottle (think Camelback with a drinking cap instead of a tube). The sides are pliable and allow for expansion in-flight - just don't fill it all the way up, and get as much air out as possible.

Two unexpected things that happened:

#1 Sardines saved me. I discovered them on this trip. It started with dinner at a pizza place (I('m VERY sensitive to gluten). I didn't touch the pizza, but as I was spooning my salty avocado I thought I'd ask if they would sell me a side of sardines... Tasty!!! I bought my first can of sardines the following day at "Natural Groceries" (bone-in skin-on). I bought a tasty hot sauce, and the rest was history : )

#2 Hot Coco. I had it every night - cacao powder, cacao butter, and butter (about equal parts) - collagen, and stevia. One thing I've loved about being on a cyclically ketogenic diet has been the deserts. I couldn't imagine going without for a week. Hot coco did the trick. It was easy, portable, and didn't take so much prep time. "Diets" can be very demanding on your time. That has NOT been my experience with keto-bulletproof-#paleoplusfatminusfruit

A note about going into the backcountry:

While I did survive on smoked salmon, hot coco, and bulletproof coffee for 24 hours, 5 long pitches of climbing, rappelling, a couple miles of navigating scree-fields (think pebble-size to cooler-size to volkswagon-size boulders), and 12 miles (round-trip) with 3k feet of elevation gain - I think my GI could have been happier if I had splurged on a chicken and rice Backpackers Pantry the night prior to the climb. 

Also, I had to negotiate with my friend. I requested we bivi (camp in little individual tents at the base of the climb) the night before the climb to avoid altitude sickness. Along with copious amounts of Nuun tablets (electrolyte tabs) I was able to avoid the altitude sickness. I had experienced very bad altitude sickness the last time we had a similar alpine climbing experience.

• How metabolically conditioned were you before this hike? By that, I mean, how well can you use your own fat stores with minimal fatigue?

I feel like constant fat intake and especially ketogenic fats (MCTs) put a damper on the ability to use your OWN fats. This is why I heavily condition myself, often going with only a bit of starch before bed while fasting for a few days. Takes some time, effort and good genetics to get there.

Agreed on the chicken and rice. I try and load up on resistant starch before every hike I do (in my gut and my backpack, really helps with stamina and GI).

Also, no trail food? Not even a squirrel liver? XD

• Thanks for the reply! I think that my ability to use my own fat is... I'd give myself a 5 of 10. I usually use 4 tablespoons of Kerrygold and 2 tablespoons of Brain Octane throughout the day. As you are suggesting, this probably inhibits adaptation to using the fat on my stomach. However, a mitigating factor - I follow Phil Maffetone and read Sisson's Primal Endurance, so I work out truly aerobically several times per week. I believe this likely strengthens my fat adaptive pathways.

I'm lazy in certain ways. I've used chronic workout methods and willpower my whole life to maintain a comfortable weight. Since the use of Kerrygold, MCT, and bulletproof-intermittent-fasting I've been enjoying my increased brain function. It generally means I'm more likely to grab a book than my running shoes. I'm sure I could be more adapted, but the butter and MCT's just take care of my appetite so conveniently : )

I have a race series coming up in the fall, a series of five 4-7 mile races. With proper motivation, how might you suggest I structure my intermittent fasting to prepare? I'm guessing limiting carbs and cutting back on the MCT's in my coffee... I'm just scared of the brain power hit I may take. I think Mark Sisson is more of the black coffee and compressed-eating-window type of camp. His methods may be better for optimal physical performance, but what drawbacks might being a fat-burning beast have on brain power?

Again, thanks for your response. I haven't done anything with resistant starch yet. I look forward to learning more about that at the conference.

Jesse