Wk 3.5 On Intermittent Fasting, Heavier Now Than When I Started

Newbie query. Week 3.5 on intermittent fasting, heavier now than when I started.

Stats:

5’10”

Not a huge meat eater but I LOVE VEGGIES AND BUTTER!

Starting weight: 170lbs

Goal: 150lbs

4 days ago: 160lbs (10 shy of goal)

I don’t know what I am doing wrong, I lost 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks and now I have gained 13 in the past 4 days. How does this happen without a serious cheat day? I am eating in the window 8hr window on most nights (I’ve had 2 slip ups of 9-10hr windows in the past 18 days, because I was hungry). I am having 1-2 carb reefed days, I started with 1 but I read women do better on 2 so I switch to 2 last week. I feel AMAZING but gaining weight in my gut in the middle of the summer isn’t cute. I had a glass of wine on day 6 and I used BP charcoal and I felt fine the following day.

Here is a look at what I am eating. I fear I have been eating so low carb that I have given myself a thyroid condition. I recently ordered every single supplement Dave talks about today I can because I am so spooked by all of this rapid weight gain.  It would be one thing if I was cheating constantly but I am being super anal about IF.

I eat this with very small variations

BP coffee + 3Tb butter +1.5Tb mct oil (sometimes I add extra butter)

Lunch= GIANT baby kale salad, boiled egg (sometimes 2), 2Tb mct oil, 2Tb ACV wild salmon (or avocado w/salt or I make a salmon salad with mayo to top my salad), tons of cucumber, olives, pickles

Dinner=spiraled zucchini (or spiraled squash or sauted fennel), bok choy (or baby kale), 2 poached eggs, garlic, 4Tb butter, olives, sea salt

On my carb refeed days= I make my coffee for breakfast, carrot fries with garlic aioli for lunch, and 2 sweet potatoes and a ton of butter for dinner. I eat olives/pickles if I am hungry btw lunch and dinner I am getting all of my produce from a farmers market (veggies, eggs, honey).

Pls note:

I drink 10-15 glasses a water a day

I do HIT 1-2x a week, I go to yoga once a week (I used to workout a lot more but I’m afraid with all of my weight gain that to do more would be un wise)

3-4x week I eat a half a bar of 85% dark chocolate

1-2 week I eat 7 rasperries with the chocolate

1tb of honey 2Tb of mct oil + sea salt before bed as a sleep hack (I stopped doing this 4 days ago when my weight started to skyrocket-I am sleeping worse as a result)

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    13lbs in 4 days, that does not sound right, have you checked your scales are working properly/accurately.

ps. I hope it is a scale issue :)

fake it till you make it

• CallenCallen
    edited July 2016

Dave and his fans would vehemently disagree, but I don't really know if it counts as IFing if you drink BP coffee. That's close to 500 calories right there - more if you add stuff like cinnamon, cacao butter, cacao powder, etc. like I do.

It mostly comes down to calories in, calories out at the end of the day. I usually just straight water fast until 3 PM. Sometimes, I won't eat until 5 PM or so if I'm doing the Warrior Diet. On rare occasions, I will sneak in  a small "fat bomb" at lunch time, but nothing more than 100 calories. 

PS - I'm not saying drinking BP coffee is the reason for your weight gain - just that it might not be the best to drink if you're trying to IF.

• Bull of HeavenBull of Heaven ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

13lbs in 4 days, that does not sound right, have you checked your scales are working properly/accurately.

ps. I hope it is a scale issue :)

Does her losing 10lbs in 2 weeks make any more sense? So if the math is right she gained 4 pounds in 3.5 weeks.

Stephanie, what was your diet like before 3.5 weeks ago? 

My only advice would be to try to not freak out by weighing yourself every day, try just once a week.

Look into tracking what you eat with myfitnesspal.com or something similar. 

Looking at your refeeds. Depending on the exact amount of carrots/sweetpotatoes my calculations would put you at 25-50g carbs for the carrots and 50-100g carbs for the sweet potatoes, so total 75-150g carbs which isn't much of refeed if you were to ask me. Especially if by the looks of my calculations your having at least 5tb of fat for breakfast and then as a guess at least another 3-6tb with your lunch an dinner. Which could put you in the 200-300g fat range...Things to think about.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Losing 10lbs in the first 2 weeks makes sense, yeah, probably mostly water.

(& hoping for the op sake, that the scales then went awry)

fake it till you make it

• CallenCallen
    edited July 2016

I just read the entire post. That's a lot of calories you're consuming throughout the day. I would dial it back some.

• edited July 2016

@StephieLovesItaly

Hey, please keep us posted on your progress.  I'm also new and trying to figure things out.

From what I read in Dave's book, as long as you're eating Bulletproof foods the amount of "calories" should not matter.  I thought he ate like 4,000 calories a day and lost weight.

Are you using MyFitnessPal or something similar to track your % of fat, carbs and protein?

My macros from yesterday:

Fat 66% = 82 g.

Carbs 10% = 27 g.

Protein 24% = 67 g.

36 y.o.

5'3"

S.W. 168 lbs

C.W. 163 lbs

I first just added BP coffee in the mornings and tried to limit my sugars as I finished reading Dave's book.  So now I'm on day 3 of the diet.  I have not done intermittent fasting yet, so again keep me posted on how things go for you.  

Wish you the best!

• Hi Stephie... A few notes based on your menu:

First and foremost, you are doing interesting things to your body right now, and I will explain... the first 10 lbs you lost were all water from the ketosis, and some fat, but mostly water.  The weight gain is your estrogen going bonkers from the new diet - also mostly water.  

The good news is this will go away soon.  Some women on LCHF diets have a month of bad body behavior, which is what you are experiencing: Great first two weeks, hay wire second two-three weeks.  

Here are some things you need to do to bring your weight back to normal levels and start actually losing true body fat:

1) Wait it out.. your body is recalibrating.  You might experience some funky period side effects, but in two months time you will be able to set your watch on your cycle.  If you are taking birth control, consider switching to something without hormones, or you might find yourself yo-yoing because of the attempt your body is making to regulate your hormones, versus the constant steady stream your pill is giving you.  I have a Copper T IUD, and it works great. 

2) For optimal results, increase your protein a bit.  At your height and weight, you should be consuming around 100g of protein a day.  Try to hit that as an average for the week. This is about .8g per pound of lean body weight.

3) Journal your calories for a week to see what you are consuming.. you are getting a whole lot of them, and this is going to catch up to you and stall your progress a bit. Aim for 65-70% fat, 20-25% protein, and 5-10% carbs (sticking around 50g of carbs will get you into a good, nutritional ketosis and keep you fat burning all day long), and keep yourself in a slight deficit depending on your activity levels.

4) Refer to rule number 1, because many women take longer to get the benefits of this type of lifestyle, and it's mostly because of all the bullsh*t we have been putting our hormones through for so long.  

Come back in a month, and let us know how you are doing! 

-Jen

• edited July 2016

I misspoke, I am not intermittent fasting but doing the so-called "rapid weight loss protocol" which is having the opposite affect.

Before BP I was eating mostly veggies, eggs, lentils and occasionally quinoa, I was working out 3-4x a week. I was pretty low carb/cal but I wasn't eating a lot of fat outside of a few avocados and enough olive oil to saute my veggies daily a week. I was eating about 1500-1700 calories, I don't think I am eating much more than this. Maybe 2000 on some days since I am eating mostly green veggies (kales, zucchini, bok choy) and other veggies like squash and fennel. I haven't had white rice at all and haven't had sweet potatoes outside of the protein fasts. I am exercising 2x a week doing HIT for 25mins and then doing stretches for another 30 mins. I am not a huge meat eater but I am willing to eat more salmon even though I don't love the taste if it will help me lose some weight.

I miss the sleep hacking (honey, salt and oil) but I can't risk getting fatter just because I like sleeping well.

Regarding my protein fasting, is 150g of carbs not a big enough refeed? And 200-300 is too much fat? I am trying to watch my calories so perhaps let fat is best? I knew going into this only men can eat more than 2000 calories and lose weight so I have been restricting calories. I am taking in about 10-12 grams of protein on my fasting days. Should I cut this further? Maybe try for 1000 calories on those days. I am again using myfitnesspal to log my calories.

Yesterday I logged:

31g carb 7%

41g protein 9%

177g fat 84%

1823 total calories (so I am eating WAY more calories than I should)

Sidenote I've been on birth control for several years so my hormones are properly in check with a low level of hormones. I think I am just eating too much.

• MY BAD, I am getting my acronyms mess up. I am doing BIP and I have cut my calories down significantly. I'm pretty hungry during the day but the weight is slowly starting to reverse. For last few days I am aiming to be in the 1400-1500 range. Today I am at 1435 -36g protein (10%), 37g carbs (10%) and 133g fat (80%).

I think I was eating WAY too much before almost 2000 a day. I felt better then but the weight gain was too pronounced to continue down that road.

• I'm just so hungry now. I literally just ate dinner 30 mins ago and I'm hungry again. Maybe this is why Dave says to go to bed before 11? Only 2hrs and 50mins to go. I can do this.

• 85% dark chocolate puts me out of ketosis.

You should by a ketosis test and try to understand which food puts you out of ketosis and which doesn't.

Newbie query. Week 3.5 on intermittent fasting, heavier now than when I started.

Stats:

5’10”

Not a huge meat eater but I LOVE VEGGIES AND BUTTER!

Starting weight: 170lbs

Goal: 150lbs

4 days ago: 160lbs (10 shy of goal)

I don’t know what I am doing wrong, I lost 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks and now I have gained 13 in the past 4 days. How does this happen without a serious cheat day? I am eating in the window 8hr window on most nights (I’ve had 2 slip ups of 9-10hr windows in the past 18 days, because I was hungry). I am having 1-2 carb reefed days, I started with 1 but I read women do better on 2 so I switch to 2 last week. I feel AMAZING but gaining weight in my gut in the middle of the summer isn’t cute. I had a glass of wine on day 6 and I used BP charcoal and I felt fine the following day.

Here is a look at what I am eating. I fear I have been eating so low carb that I have given myself a thyroid condition. I recently ordered every single supplement Dave talks about today I can because I am so spooked by all of this rapid weight gain. It would be one thing if I was cheating constantly but I am being super anal about IF.

I eat this with very small variations

BP coffee + 3Tb butter +1.5Tb mct oil (sometimes I add extra butter)

Lunch= GIANT baby kale salad, boiled egg (sometimes 2), 2Tb mct oil, 2Tb ACV wild salmon (or avocado w/salt or I make a salmon salad with mayo to top my salad), tons of cucumber, olives, pickles

Dinner=spiraled zucchini (or spiraled squash or sauted fennel), bok choy (or baby kale), 2 poached eggs, garlic, 4Tb butter, olives, sea salt

On my carb refeed days= I make my coffee for breakfast, carrot fries with garlic aioli for lunch, and 2 sweet potatoes and a ton of butter for dinner. I eat olives/pickles if I am hungry btw lunch and dinner I am getting all of my produce from a farmers market (veggies, eggs, honey).

Pls note:

I drink 10-15 glasses a water a day

I do HIT 1-2x a week, I go to yoga once a week (I used to workout a lot more but I’m afraid with all of my weight gain that to do more would be un wise)

3-4x week I eat a half a bar of 85% dark chocolate

1-2 week I eat 7 rasperries with the chocolate

1tb of honey 2Tb of mct oil + sea salt before bed as a sleep hack (I stopped doing this 4 days ago when my weight started to skyrocket-I am sleeping worse as a result)

• Whoa...

First of all, you cannot gain or lose anything but water that quickly.  Going so low carb means that your glycolytic pathways are not carrying the normal amount of fluid (water) through urine and you shed a boatload of water at first. One of the roles of insulin is to signal salt-retention in the kidneys (this is why diabetes and hypertension go hand in hand).  However, since you are not triggering an insulin response, in addition to flushing fluid, your kidneys are also releasing salt.  So...

I'm guessing you got so dehydrated that your body is experiencing a rebound effect. One of the most prevalent causes of water retention is dehydration.  Sounds to me like your body is holding onto water like a camel.  The best way to combat this is to consume more water, more water laden veggies (cucumber, lettuce, zucchini, radishes, celery, tomato,  cabbage, cauliflower, peppers, spinach, broccoli, in that order), and CONSUME MORE MINERAL RICH SALTS! Add more sea salt to everything.  A lot more.  Pretty much as much as you can palate.  Maybe look into an electrolyte tablet, like Nuun.

But honestly, it sounds like eating this way is making you miserable. Your caloric intake isn't so low that you should be starving all the time based on your stated activity.  The whole point of bulletproof is to "supercharge your body" and "upgrade your brain", but none of those things seem be happening for you.  I find it feels like work to eat more than 1600 calories a day and sometimes difficult to even take in that minimum maintenance amount because I always feel satieted, but I'm not full keto.  You might find that more activity and a more balanced macro picture (maybe a 50-30-20 fat-protein-carb) will work better for you and leave you feeling more satiated, sleeping better, etc.  It will be much harder to lose weight if you're chronically not sleeping well.  Activated cortisol will keep you retaining fat.  I'd make sleep a priority and fiddle with the ratios until you find a groove in which you feel great.

• Ok. I'm back on my bulletproof grind. I lost the weight I gained and managed to lose 5 pounds in a month if doing intermittent fasting. I have hit a plateau 15lbs shy of my goal, please help.

165lbs, 5'10"
    Breakfast- BP coffee
    Lunch- kake and romaine salad with cucumber, pickles and 1 cup of egg salad (egg, green onions, mayo, 1tsp mct oil) + acv dressing
    Dinner-sauted veggies (1 big bulb fennel, 1 squash, first full of kale, 1 shallot, few cloves of garlic, green onions, shallots, 2-3 carrots) cooked with 2T grass fed butter + .25lb of ground lamb
    **on workout days I add either a sweet potato or butternut squash to the sauté.
    **on days when I feel hungry I add 1T of duck fat to the mix (fatty deliciousness!)
    -once a week I will have a small square of dark chocolate

I work out less than before-once or twice/week, perhaps I need to throw in 3 days of heavy lifting for 30mins, jumping roping btw sets. This is my fav workout, I do that once or twice a week as stated. I go yoga a few times a week and it is not strenuous at all really.

I do need to get more sleep. I take all the recommended suplements, fish oil, A, C, B, iodine etc...

I feel amazing! Like AHMAZING until I step on the scale. I feel full, rarely hungry... Maybe I'm eating too much fat. I did add duck fat to my egg salad this week but just a little lol!

I love eating the same thing daily but maybe I need some variety. Every other week I will make the cauliflower mash with butter, duck fat, and green onions.

What am I doing wrong here? Too many carrots? I do eat them daily... But I balance them with greens (fennel, kake, zucchini).

• Also it's worth mentioning in not doing carb refeeds since I'm eating carrots daily. Maybe I should limit them and just indulge in my refeed days. Twice a week for women, right?