Why The Bp Diet May Be Holding You Back...one Woman's Experience And Educated View.

I have been doing low carb and IF for over a year now, having lost over 50 lbs, and now struggling with the final 10-15! I came across the BP diet in my research, and gave it a try. But compared to regular fasting, I am only losing half what I normally would. And here is why (what I believe to be the reason, based on how I understand the body to work):

Once you stop eating so many carbs, your body depends on fats to operate, for energy and for all basic functions (as well as the ketones it produces). Our goal is that it is now able to reach into the fat stores and utilize that for energy, so that we lose weight. But if we are INGESTING FAT, why would our bodies have to use that fat store?? It wouldn't! IF I am shoveling coal in the front of the furnace, why would the guy in the back have to drag coal from the basement??! So, I dropped the BP coffee starting yesterday, started my regular 36 hour fasting protocol, and have already dropped twice the weight I did last week on the BP diet. At this point (day 1), of course, it is just water, we all know that, but the faster I get through that, the faster I get to the fat.

This may be different for others, but I saw a lot of frustration here, so thought this might help others.

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Once you stop eating so many carbs, your body depends on fats to operate, for energy and for all basic functions (as well as the ketones it produces). Our goal is that it is now able to reach into the fat stores and utilize that for energy, so that we lose weight. But if we are INGESTING FAT, why would our bodies have to use that fat store?? It wouldn't! IF I am shoveling coal in the front of the furnace, why would the guy in the back have to drag coal from the basement??! 

I tend to agree with this assessment, but I like the satiation BP coffee provides, and also it seems to help me get back to burning fat if I've had carbs the night before. If you like those aspects, you can just make a BP coffee with less fat. At least for me, this kills hunger making the intermittent fast easier, but also doesn't provide enough calories to totally cover energy expenditure throughout the fast. 

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

I have been doing low carb and IF for over a year now, having lost over 50 lbs, and now struggling with the final 10-15! I came across the BP diet in my research, and gave it a try. But compared to regular fasting, I am only losing half what I normally would. And here is why (what I believe to be the reason, based on how I understand the body to work):

Once you stop eating so many carbs, your body depends on fats to operate, for energy and for all basic functions (as well as the ketones it produces). Our goal is that it is now able to reach into the fat stores and utilize that for energy, so that we lose weight. But if we are INGESTING FAT, why would our bodies have to use that fat store?? It wouldn't! IF I am shoveling coal in the front of the furnace, why would the guy in the back have to drag coal from the basement??! So, I dropped the BP coffee starting yesterday, started my regular 36 hour fasting protocol, and have already dropped twice the weight I did last week on the BP diet. At this point (day 1), of course, it is just water, we all know that, but the faster I get through that, the faster I get to the fat.

This may be different for others, but I saw a lot of frustration here, so thought this might help others.

You make some good points, but remember, IF isn't really prescribed for a woman, especially on the Bulletproof Diet. Sounds like you were doing the BP Intermittent Fasting protocol, but it just wasn't working out. If I were you, I would try "Hack #3" on this article.

"Hack #3: Eat Protein With Breakfast

If you’re over 40 and/or have significant weight to lose, it might help you in the long-term if you add some protein to your breakfast because it helps to reset your leptin sensitivity. In the Bulletproof Diet book, I go into the details about leptin sensitivity, and even how lectin hurts leptin…

Try mixing grass-fed collagen right into your Bulletproof Coffee. This will make you hungrier sooner than regular Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting because it kicks on your body’s digestion process and effectively ends your fast, but it will also help reset your leptin levels, allowing you to both feel better in the long run and lose weight faster."

Or I would get back to having a solid breakfast, and stop intermittent fasting altogether. You may be slowing down your metabolism a little too much. Make sure you're getting enough to eat as well. Talk to some of the other guys here, I'm sure they'll jump in and give you more specifics, but my advice is just to add in breakfast, and introduce some carbs into your life, starting with a starchy veg at noon and adding a sweet potato, plantains, or rice every night. This usually has the desired effect for most people at this stage. Of course, let me know if you've tried all that.

• Thanks for the replies. Actually, the only thing that works now is either 20:4 (basically one meal a day), or total fluid fasting (48-36 hours at a time is all I can do right now since I take pain medication for a bad back). As of this writing, I am now only 7 lbs away from my goal!

Fasting done correctly doesn't lower your metabolism. Just lowering calories eaten over 3 or more "normal" meals does. Metabolism increases during fasting (I don't remember the percentage but the study was cited on Dr. Jason Fung's web site).

I had hoped the BP coffee would work for me because it tastes so good, and will definitely add it back in after I reach my goal, because I, too, like that it is satisfying and gets me easily through to my eating time period. But right now, it's not worth the expense of my body using the fat of the BPC instead of what I already have on board!

Thanks for the discussion, though! I love hearing others points of views!

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭
    edited July 2016

Thanks for the replies. Actually, the only thing that works now is either 20:4 (basically one meal a day), or total fluid fasting (48-36 hours at a time is all I can do right now since I take pain medication for a bad back). As of this writing, I am now only 7 lbs away from my goal!

Fasting done correctly doesn't lower your metabolism. Just lowering calories eaten over 3 or more "normal" meals does. Metabolism increases during fasting (I don't remember the percentage but the study was cited on Dr. Jason Fung's web site).

I had hoped the BP coffee would work for me because it tastes so good, and will definitely add it back in after I reach my goal, because I, too, like that it is satisfying and gets me easily through to my eating time period. But right now, it's not worth the expense of my body using the fat of the BPC instead of what I already have on board!

Thanks for the discussion, though! I love hearing others points of views!

I'm concerned about the damage you're doing to yourself from so much pure fasting. It's not the healthiest way to lose weight. Bulletproof provides a safe and healthy way for us to lose weight, and I recommend you follow their recommendations a little more closely. This can still be done without coffee, which incidentally could also have been causing some adrenal issues, since it raises cortisol. It may take a little longer this way, but you will benefit in the end, because you won't have caused as much hormonal disruption and adrenal overload.

Can anyone else back this up? I don't want to just sound like I'm harping on her.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Yeah those are some concerning protocols in terms of potentially raising stress hormones and causing metabolic dysfunction. Both of which make fat loss much harder over time. Especially since focusing on 7 pounds seems to suggest you're interested in scale weight, not body composition. Don't eat for a couple days and have some diarrhea and there's your 7 pounds. But it's obviously not healthy weight loss. A focus on scale weight can lead to playing with water weight more than causing lasting fat loss. 

• I am just starting to learn the ropes re: the Bulletproof way, and since it is so different from my usual way of eating, need to follow threads like this dealing with women's response to BP.

• Hello everyone.

The same story here. I have been on BP diet 5 weeks, gained 7, lost 2. I read some people suggested counting calories, I am doing that and using a program to counts my macros. Not only there are no weight loss, but also no inch loss or fat loss.

I do BP coffee in AM, if i work out-I will have a BP shake after or salmon with avocado around 12 or 1 PM. Dinner usually some protein, fat (butter of paleo mayo or avocado) and some carbs ( I only eat sauté cabbage , Brussels sprouts, csuliflower, or brocoli). My fault macros are: fat 100-115gm, protein 60gm, carbs 10-15 gm. I use chronometer by Mercola to do this.

I am begging to think this diet is a gimmick. I also don't see Dave's responses anywhere. It is like he does not exists or does not have much to back up some of this things. He is selling his products. He is happy!!!

I know the history behind kerogenic diet It whole purpose to heal you boy through nutrition. That is why I am on it. BP way of eating suggests fat loss but,I agree with others above, how can you lose fat if you are constantly eating fat for energy. You own fat supplies are not utilized.

I think cutting down on butter and increase protein might results in fat loss.

Any suggestions on that ??

BTW: I also do HIT x2 week, hot yoga x 1-2 week, hot Pilates X11 week. You would think I will be losing fat. Right?!? Nope. Net gain 5 lbs and no fat loss.

I am really hoping to hear some prospective about that and why no fat loss!!!!!

Thank you in advance.

TA
  • Hope this doesn't seem off topic, but I think that there can be other factors at play when trying to get the body to let go of fat. Stress levels, emotional body, spiritual body... We sometimes get so focused on the biochemistry and physiological function of the body, but the mind is ultimately the pilot. Just an idea... Maybe look at areas where you can lower stress and work through any emotional issues?

Also, if the body is a toxic place, it might also be hard to get results. Some colonics may help clear out debris and allow for better nutrient absorption/cellular detoxification. Improves function of all other organs as well. Lymphatic treatments can also help move garbage out of the system and allow for a better flow of releasing waste. Saunas are great too! I haven't done much research on this, but Dave mentions mold exposure for instance. Sometimes we need to clear out first. You could be going through a period where your body is trying to break through. Much like when doing a juice cleanse, sometimes people feel ill and can actually get more constipated and gain more weight, have skin eruptions, etc. I'd also give it more time! Hope this perspective helps!

• I have been doing low carb and IF for over a year now, having lost over 50 lbs, and now struggling with the final 10-15! I came across the BP diet in my research, and gave it a try. But compared to regular fasting, I am only losing half what I normally would. And here is why (what I believe to be the reason, based on how I understand the body to work):

Regardless what diet you're on, after you get to a healthy weight, losing the last 10-15 lbs is almost always going to be difficult.  You're body (hormones, gut biome, subconscious mind, CNS) might resist any further weight loss because it believes it's at a healthy weight and the is not ready for the added stress.

In the end, your argument points to total calories vs macro requirements. This is true on ANY DIET.  Fat, carbs, protein.

I do disagree w/ Dave about tracking calories.  I think this particular recommendation is good for someone's piece of mind who's just trying to get healthy but not necessarily great for people like you and me who are attempting to lose those last few pounds. 

BUT, you need to get 'fat adapted' first for all the wonders to start working.  Your fasting wouldn't be as effective if you didn't train your body to keto-adapt and use fat as the primary fuel.  So, call it what you want, LCHF, ketogenic, cyclical keto, these kind of a variations of the bulletproof diet do work.

• The problem with the last 10-15 pounds is that in reality there is no 10-15 pounds to lose. The issue isn't the fat that is still on your body it's the lack of muscle. And a low cal and/or low carb and/or IF approach is certainly going to make it difficult to fuel a body to put on lean muscle.

One of the issues I have with some of Dave's propaganda is that its more BP to be less active than more active. Eat 4000 calories, drink butter, only workout 15 mins a week and get ripped, its preposterous. 

IFChick you don't post anything in regards to your activity level so for now I will assume its minimal. Instead of fasting more, I would eat more and make sure you get adequate protein, activity, and rest; see if the "last 15" come off then.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• Yeah I think that is the main issue that most folks are missing out on. I wonder if anyone has ever done a study specifically looking at whether low lean mass or high body fat% is a bigger health risk. Either way, the lean mass issue makes the bodyfat issue a lot more challenging.

• The problem with the last 10-15 pounds is that in reality there is no 10-15 pounds to lose. The issue isn't the fat that is still on your body it's the lack of muscle. And a low cal and/or low carb and/or IF approach is certainly going to make it difficult to fuel a body to put on lean muscle.

Good point.  Sometimes you need to gain 5 lbs of muscle to lose 10-15 lbs of fat.  Obvious to anyone in the body building space, the more muscle you have, the easier weight loss.  That said, a lot of people on high carb diets struggle with insulin resistance & other hormonal problems which can really hinder muscle development. A ketogenic approach can go a long way to helping to heal the body which in turn will make it easier to build muscle. That's why there's no one diet that works.  You need to adjust depending on your goals and state of health.  

The problem with the last 10-15 pounds is that in reality there is no 10-15 pounds to lose. The issue isn't the fat that is still on your body it's the lack of muscle. And a low cal and/or low carb and/or IF approach is certainly going to make it difficult to fuel a body to put on lean muscle.

One of the issues I have with some of Dave's propaganda is that its more BP to be less active than more active. Eat 4000 calories, drink butter, only workout 15 mins a week and get ripped, its preposterous. 

IFChick you don't post anything in regards to your activity level so for now I will assume its minimal. Instead of fasting more, I would eat more and make sure you get adequate protein, activity, and rest; see if the "last 15" come off then.