Torn Meniscus: Posterior Horn Of Right Medial Meniscus. Upgraded Treatment Options?

edited August 2016 in Athletic Performance

Bulletproof coffee changed my life.  I am 44 with eight children and love the energy from int. fasting.  

I was in a car accident and my knee hit the lower part of my car's dash/console.  MRI revealed a right knee torn meniscus: posterior horn of medial meniscus.  My knee cap feels tight when bending.  I have a pain inducing click about 2/3 of the way up when climbing stairs or standing up.  Orthopedic doctor said that region won't heal due to lack of blood flow.  He wants to remove 1/3 of my meniscus.  I have searched the forum and have only found recommendations for Regenexx and a type of e-stim for tissue growth.  Have any of you have your meniscus removed?  Would you do it again?  What about ozone therapy or some other upgraded treatment?

Thank you.

Comments

• My freshman year of college, 1993, I tore the right medial meniscus in a cross country race.  Eventually (7-8 months later) the Dr. removed the inner 1/3 of the meniscus because, like you said, it's not supposed to get blood flow and would not heal.  I did have some complications in that I had weird unexplained weakness on the medial joint line that would cause my knee to give out.  For most people I understand this is not common.  About a year or so later, I had a really good physical therapist who did some sort of trigger point massage on it that eventually solved the problem.  About a year and a half later, I did the same thing to the left one. 

My guess is that surgical techniques and physical therapy has come a long way in the past 20 + years.  I eventually returned to competitive running, but then moved on to road cycling.  I believe it was the cycling which really developed my quad muscles to the point of ridiculousness that keeps me pain free to this day.  I can still run, ride a bike etc with no ill effects of the previously torn meniscus.  I would be interested to have an MRI done on it to see if it ever grew back or what it looks like now, but there's no reason. 

If I had it to do again, I would probably try ozone and infrared therapy on it first. I'd also load up on collagen peptides to the tune of about 40 g or more/day.  As for some of the other vitamins/supplements/modalities to try, someone on here probably knows more about how to heal soft tissue injuries of this sort than I do.

I am just giving you my personal story that I am fine and so you should have some positive reassurance that you'll recover too. 

• Just posted this on another thread, but equally applicable:

Get a PEMF ICES device if you can afford it.  It really helps healing and recovery from injuries.

I also suggest that you substitute posterior chain exercises like "glute ham" and "reverse hyper", for dead lifts and squats until you have full healed.

• Also posted from me on other posts

Yes you can rebuild cartlidge. You really have to understand what cartlidge is, and it does grow back. I'm not going to make this any more complicated than it has to be. Because of the lack of blood flow and nerve supply, cartlidge grows mush slower than other tissue. That is the basics. Here are my tips on understanding cartlidge better.

1. Saving my knees book
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004JHYTEI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477386018&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Saving+My+Knees

The author explains his battle with a near crippling cartlidge injury.

http://dougkelsey.com
    Doug Kelsey is the person mentioned in the book. He designed the cartlidge rebuilding program. Follow the program. Step by step.

http://Micro-Pulse.com

Buy a Micro-Pulse pemf unit and begin using it right away.

This is from my own personal experience. I have done all the above and I will tell you. It all works!