Returning To Bulletproof After 1+ Year

January 2015 was when I first discovered and began my Bulletproof adventure.  After 4 months of following this plan, I was a new man.  My business exploded into a freight train and I was holding on for dear life.  Bulletproof and health gradually began to take a back seat once more, and by the end of last year the only things I was still doing was morning BP coffee, supplements, and skipping breakfast.  I had put the 30lbs back on, and more.  My energy was downtrodden at best.  And after my wife finally left, my diet consisted mainly of delivery pizza and the occasional salad.  Coupled with 70-80 hour work weeks I had become a mess once more.

Currently, one of the biggest red flags I've been getting from my body is that every meal causes my heart rate to go up and then causes me to have a serious crash.  Like I have to take a 2-3 hour nap.  I have been attempting to restart BP, but even meals from this philosophy cause the same reaction although not as bad as a large pepperoni extra cheese.  I'm a little distraught, and not sure why healthy food is also causing the 'reaction' Dave talks about in his book.  I remember BP meals back when I first started and they evened me out after a few days.

Nothing has ever worked for me like Bulletproof has.  I was vegetarian (vegan for a while) for nearly 10 years and my energy levels constantly suffered under stress.  Reading BP encouraged me to integrate healthy animal proteins and I was glad I did.  I am determined to restart, but am unsure if when you stop and restart that maybe it doesn't work so good anymore?  I wanted to start this thread documenting and sharing my experience; and would welcome any advice or encouragement.  I am re-reading Dave's book and hoping the inspiration I received some 20 months ago will help me to fall back in step with this plan.

I did search, and could not find a thread on this topic.  If there is one, sorry, please make me aware of it.

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    Things should gradually improve as you remove crap food options & start eating 'clean'.

You may have blood sugar issues going on at the moment &/or a leaky (permeable) gut.

fake it till you make it

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

a little increase in heart rate is normal since your belly is busy digesting. Blood goes from brain into belly for that reason as well. However the crash may indeed come from insulin but also from falling out of keto if not eating right....

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Daz, I am hoping that some consistency will help me to see improvements.  I read up on the leaky guy thing and although it is a hotly debated topic, the symptoms make sense.  It too goes to diet and what I am putting in.  Likely months of eating 'convenient' foods have built up in my system and may take some time to clear out. 

Dman, thanks yea I'm certain the effects currently are more severe than they should be normally.   There have been a couple of times I nearly called an ambulance.  But it is good to know you also believe it to be diet related rather than other....

• edited August 2016

Although what I'm going to be discussing here is anecdotal, I've always found that reading other peoples experiences helps me to find a way to gauge my own.

For most of my life I've been a very fit person, I'd say above average enjoying a variety of adventure sports.  I started really having problems when I began my Master's degree, Thesis research, Started my business, bought my house, and got married all within a few years of each other.  Adventure was pushed aside and hours sitting at the computer, commuting, working, and stress became my life.  The alarming decline in my health, vitality, and weight is what brought me to Bulletproof last year, and viola!  Something that worked!

After going on BP and then off again, I can honestly say that I rode a wave of increased vigor for some time as I reverted back to a lifestyle dominated by work and ignoring my health.  But the crash I've had over the last few months has been the worst ever.  At 47 I am not as resilient as I used to be, but now being at my peak performance is more critical than ever before because my business is at the stage where it needs my best.

Finally, before I begin I want to relate that I did go to my doctor and I'd like to share that experience first.  My first check up in some time, the doctor (this guy is a DO) said my blood pressure was at an alarming level.  Average readings around 150/95, waistline around 46, and heart rate (resting) falling between 85-100.  First thing out of his mouth was "we are going to put you on this medication and that medication."  My response to him was that I understand a lot of  times these problems are diet related and I wanted to get some guidance on this before moving forward with lifestyle changes.  He gave me an exasperated look reached into some drawer, pulled out a crappy copy of some food chart, and said 'sure here you go you can try it but in my experience only 1% of people are able to make the necessary dietary and lifestyle changes."  He actually held up a single finger in my face to emphasize the pointlessness of doing that.  So I followed his advice.  Long story short I wound up on about 8 different medications and my second follow-up the nurse practitioner interviewed me and said that I may want to consider some sort of antidepressant too.  Never mind the fact that I was sitting there with a head splitting migraine and my blood pressure actually higher than when we started; this lady was more concerned with selling me another scrip.

My blood pressure continued to rise, the doctor was shrugging his shoulders "give it time he says."  When my BP hit 183/110 I finally called BULLSHIT on all of it.  I stopped taking all meds immediately, tempered my caffeine intake a bit, and starting eating lower sodium.  Within two days my BP returned to the 150/90 range and I was actually relieved!  I don't recommend to anyone they stop taking meds, especially if you've been taking them for some time.  This was just my experience over about 3 weeks with the doctors recommended course of action.

• edited August 2016

Current status:

As of now I'm still at the BP levels of readings around 150/95, waistline around 46, and heart rate (resting) falling between 85-100.

Some of my worst symptoms include:

1. Weight not budging from 216, even though I am working out a bit
    2. Bloated stomach and general puffy feeling
    3. General joint stiffness, hard to get going after sitting for a while
    4. Night sweats so bad my pillow and t-shirt has to be changed out after a couple of hours, the smell is awful
    5. Severe uptick in heart rate after every meal, and then a subsequent crash so bad I need a 2-3 hour nap.  this is getting worse...
    6. Very erratic sleep patterns. Never sleep the whole night through, wake up at odd hours, crash for long naps during the day
    7. My will power is at an all time low.  Even though I know it is bad for me, by the end of a hard day I have only the strength to order delivery food
    8. My anxiety and worrying is through the roof; I also have a diminished ability to handle stressful work related situations
    9. I have absolutely no energy to get out and socialize, I do have the desire to but lack the confidence I think
    10. I always feel dehydrated and have a constant cotton mouth.   I wake up every 2 hours extremely thirsty, likely due to the night sweats 

So here I go.  Today begin with some hardcore adherence to the bulletproof eating plan again.  I hope to check back in a few days with positive results.  for now I'm gonna get off my ass!

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Have some potassium and magnesium helped me make my BP go to perfect values.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

edited August 2016

Daz, I am hoping that some consistency will help me to see improvements.  I read up on the leaky guy thing and although it is a hotly debated topic, the symptoms make sense.  It too goes to diet and what I am putting in.  Likely months of eating 'convenient' foods have built up in my system and may take some time to clear out. 

yep, i think that doctors/scientists do not like/use the term 'leaky gut', probably because i think the term originated from 'woo woo' medicine. The conventional medical/scientific community prefer to use terms like; intestinal cell damage, intestinal epithelial cell damage, weakened intestinal barrier, damaged intestinal barrier, etc. 

Here is a recent article related to a study published June 2016; 
    Weakened intestinal barrier, systemic immune activation may explain symptoms in people without celiac disease  

I have also read, that if you do have a 'leaky gut', then you may also have a 'leaky' (weakened, increased permeability) blood brain barrier (BBB). 

fake it till you make it

• No doubt daz, giving more credence to the idea that what we eat is literally tearing us apart if we don't watch it.  I'm hoping that by simply changing the eating habits I'll overcome this....

Midway through day 2 and I'm already feeling better.  Good sleep last night and no night sweats.  Following the 2 week starter plan again.  Eliminated sugar, processed, bread.  Only drinking BP coffee and water.  On the menu this week grass fed beef or smoked sockeye (fresh caught from Vital choice seafood), fresh veggies lightly cooked, sweet potato or rice.  Not to mention full supplemental dosages.

Right after lunch and feeling a little groggy, but not anything near what was happening only 3 days ago. 

It seems that Dave was right in his philosophy that even if you eat 'mostly' bulletproof having occasional cheat meals or a few meals each week here or there that are off diet; that these off diet meals can mess you up for a few days and you'll really diminish the benefits, especially if you are trying to pull yourself out of very poor health.

After re-reading Dave's book and then combing through my habits over the past few months I can say that my biggest mistakes where:

Trying to completely eliminate sodium instead of having my early morning dose of sea salt

Drinking too much bulletproof coffee in too short a time

My protein intake was way too low.  Based on my size and activity level I should be having 140g per day and was getting less than 50g per day.

Not enough raw fresh veggies.

Eating too much at one sitting.

I went back to a technique I learned from one of the regular posters in this forum where he developed a formula called block calculations.  It's real simple in that protein content is assigned a value per block and you plan your meal based on the block system, and so forth.  This really allows you to get a handle on how many grams of protein, carbs, and fat you actually should have; and then how that translates to your daily meal portions.  This helped me get a firm plan in place.

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Current status:

As of now I'm still at the BP levels of readings around 150/95, waistline around 46, and heart rate (resting) falling between 85-100.

Some of my worst symptoms include:

1. Weight not budging from 216, even though I am working out a bit
    2. Bloated stomach and general puffy feeling
    3. General joint stiffness, hard to get going after sitting for a while
    4. Night sweats so bad my pillow and t-shirt has to be changed out after a couple of hours, the smell is awful
    5. Severe uptick in heart rate after every meal, and then a subsequent crash so bad I need a 2-3 hour nap.  this is getting worse...
    6. Very erratic sleep patterns. Never sleep the whole night through, wake up at odd hours, crash for long naps during the day
    7. My will power is at an all time low.  Even though I know it is bad for me, by the end of a hard day I have only the strength to order delivery food
    8. My anxiety and worrying is through the roof; I also have a diminished ability to handle stressful work related situations
    9. I have absolutely no energy to get out and socialize, I do have the desire to but lack the confidence I think
    10. I always feel dehydrated and have a constant cotton mouth.   I wake up every 2 hours extremely thirsty, likely due to the night sweats 

So here I go.  Today begin with some hardcore adherence to the bulletproof eating plan again.  I hope to check back in a few days with positive results.  for now I'm gonna get off my ass!

I have experienced all of what you're describing here, particularly after meals. I think you're onto something with leaky gut. You most definitely do have food sensitivities if you're getting raised heart rate and tiredness after a meal. So essentially, that's leaky gut. For one reason or another, your body isn't processing nutrients and blocking proteins properly. Let me get into some things that have worked for me to lessen that particular symptom:

-Environmental factors can lead to a more porous intestinal barrier; when I eliminate sources of excess mold/chemicals/EMF around me, I usually fully recover. These three things most often are the cause of my problems

-If you've been exposed to mold (which can be in your environment or your food), chemicals (glyphosate in those pizzas you were slammin'), or even antibiotics (basically the same thing as mold), you need to bind the toxins and get that stuff out

-to bind toxins, use activated charcoal, bentonite, or chlorella/spirulina

-try and repopulate the gut using a quality probiotic: different ones work for different people, but I think it would be worth trying two different kinds: a good lacto/bifido blend like Dr. Mercola's (no s. boulardii IMO) or a soil probiotic (Prescript-Assist, not Garden of Life)

-You cannot go wrong with l-glutamine. It pretty much directly repairs leaky gut. Ramp up from 2 g to 20 g (some people even get up to 80!) and see how it makes you feel; I like l-glutamine on an empty stomach in the morning, and before dinner; be careful when you use it, because it will spike your blood sugar, as it converts to glucose almost immediately.

-Watch what you eat. You have to cater your own bulletproof plan while you get better. Some people can't handle nuts when their gut is leaky. I know there is some mold or EMF I'm not accounting for when almonds make me break out. It always turns out to be true, even if I find it a month after my symptoms.

-I know it's hard, but really try getting rid of that router and limiting cell phone use. Also check for stray EMF from microwaves and  I have had direct (and repeatable) experience with worsened digestion and food allergies from too much EMF (had two routers in the house without even knowing it; flipped them off and symptoms dissipated almost immediately). I might get flack for this recommendation, but just try it for yourself for a couple of days, and see what happens.

Sorry, I know it's not easy and these aren't extremely convenient interventions, but I'm pretty confident they should help a lot.

• ....whoa just coming out of a major crash.  Right after I posted above, I hit the freakin wall.  After posting, I decided I should sit down and only woke up a little while ago.  I had eaten what looked to be an awesome meal of grass fed beef (30g protein) and a plate full of veggies including spring greens, broc, red & green peppers, tomato slices, and a half cup of guacomole no chemicals.  About 11/2 hours to 2 hours later my heart was racing again and I just passed out on the couch.

Unreal, this looked like a healthy meal.  I referred to Dave's chapter on the various neighborhoods and saw that peppers & tomatoes were under the suspect list.  It was the only addition to the meal from yesterday that had me feeling so great.  I usually eat nightshades as a staple, and here I find out they are causing me problems.  Likely I don't feel the effects until later because of the leaky gut thing.  I only lightly sautéed them, so basically they were raw.  Dave mentions that undercooking peppers/tomatoes leave chemicals that are harmful in the more vulnerable states.

I was still so bloated, I had to basically force dinner down to come close to my nutritional requirements.  In the past I would have just skipped dinner, had a snack of some sort and moved on.  Today I wound up with 84g of protein, 52g of carbs, and 125g of fat.  Yesterday I had 101g of protein, 81g of carbs, and 116g of fat and felt a lot better without the night shades.  Carbs were high at dinner because I accidentally double portioned my sweet potatoes.  keep pluggin man....

• edited August 2016

SFT - 1st thanks so much for the reply.  helps like you don't know.

Mold has been an uphill battle.  I had purchased some Jim's organic decaf for my exwife last year.  I was using it recently in an effort to curb caffeine and still have my BP coffee.   I stopped using it a few days ago.  I also live in a home that if I don't run dehumidefiers mold grows on the walls.  I also run high end air filters to keep spores in check.

Glyphosate in pizzas? do tell.  I'm a horticulturalist with an MSc and did my homework on glyphosate.  likely you are talking about the roundup ready crops and resulting ingredients in processed foods.  I also have to use it occasionally in prep for a new landscape.  But yea, chronic exposure kicks your ass.

I've been taking my spirulena/chlorella regularly.  Charcoal off/on; I'll add it back to my regular evening regimen.  I used the glutathione before when Dave was selling it in the larger syringe.  I just placed an order and the new smaller syringe set in OTW.  I'm hoping by strictly adhering to the BP 2 week starter regimen that my gut bacteria will self correct.

I trashed my microwave 8 years ago, never use them.  I have 4 cell phones in the house for various needs regarding my business & two routers to handle the demands.  Never considered this to be a potential toxin, but I'll look into it.  Are you saying I should just hardwire everything?

Again, thank you for the feeback.  It's encouraging.

• edited August 2016

Did a detail review of my supplement regimen.  Overall I'd been taking the same supplements off and on.  I stopped paying such precise attention to them and was alarmed to see I was way off in a few categories. 

1. My D3 supplement only had 1000IU each, and Dave recommends the 8000IU.  Had to correct that.
    2. Last time at the store, the clerk recommended a Multi B for me, and I just grabbed it.  Turns out it had only 100mcg B12 instead of the 5000mcg recommended.
    3. I was taking about half the Mg & C I should have been.
    4. The same clerk also gave me Dry A/beta carotene instead of the one from cod liver oil, useless

This just reaffirmed that many 'clerks' simply don't know enough to make the right recommendations and when you stop paying close attention you slip.  I've been severely deficient in D3 and B12 and taking an A that wasn't working; and didn't even realize it until I did this review of my habits.

• edited August 2016

Calories - no.  One of the tenants of Dave's book is that tracking calories is pointless. 

Protein, Fat, Carbs - absolutely yes.  In fact the idea as I understand it is to closely watch these categories.  Over the past three days I've been tweaking my daily meal plan to meet my needs in these categories.

Primary vitamins like C, K, Mg, I, D, A, B, Cu, and selelnium another yes. 

Finally getting these dialed back in.

Also did a review of the best, suspect, and kryptonite foods to make sure I am only eating the best over the next 2-3 weeks.

I'll start carb loading once per week after 2 weeks, and protein fasting once per week after 2 weeks.

Along with the Glutathione I'm hoping the leaky gut will clear up.

edited August 2016

if possible do blood tests to check how much you need to supplement...

eg. once you get your D3 levels up in to a good range, 8000 IU will likely be too much. 

My last D3 blood test result was higher than i would like, & i was only doing 2000 IU p/d. 

My Plasma Selenium was also high, so i stopped the selenium supp altogether, figuring i was getting enough from food. 

(the Plasma selenium test is apparently more accurate/reliable than serum selenium). 

My TSH (~thyroid) number had also been slowly climbing over the years, whilst supplementing both Iodine & Selenium. 

A while after stopping the Selenium, I also stopped the Iodine, & finally started to see my TSH number dropping back down. 

Now i just do some low dose Iodine drops (~100 to 200 mcg) now & again.  

Just a few n1 anecdotes, showing testing is useful, we all have different requirements. 

fake it till you make it