Chinese Ascorbic Acid

Hello guys!

I have chinese ascorbic acid. It is very difficult to find in my country (even cheap and shitty as this one). He is what they gave me with the 1 kilogram of this powder:

pH 2.42 (2.1-2.6)

Rotation +21.23o (+20.5-+21.5o)

Additives E% <0.2%

Residue at compressing 0.02% (<10%)

Copper <5ppm

Iron <2ppm

Heavy metals <10ppm

Sulphate ash 0.1% (<0.1%)

arsenic 3ppm

Mercury 1ppm

cadmium 1mg/kg

oxalic acid 0.2%

plumbum 2ppm

They said its food grade ascobic cid (C6H06). 

Is it ok?

Comments

• If you are suspicious about the source you can't really feel confident with the numbers they gave either?

Test so melting point is correct (190 deg C). It's a good messure of purity and identity. Still you can't see smaller amounts (like below 1%) of impurities.

I would personally recrystallize to make it top quality

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

Can you make a tutorial video on how to recrystallize vitamin C and post it on Black Belt Nutrition?

During the process, it would be virtually sterile, right?  Could it be mixed with bacteriostatic water for IV/IM use?

• cecowececowe
    edited August 2016

Melting point in the analysis which they gave me is 190.2 deg C. The content is 99,91%

Should I take it? 

• edited August 2016

Cecowe - The question is if you trust the values they have given you? Since you asked here I assume you had some doubts? If you have an oven and a thermometer I would put some crystals on a plate and test when they melt. 

Jason - Good suggestion. I've been thinking of doing a series of "chemistry" in home and set up the camera in my kitchen. Right now it will take some time before I will have a few easy days home. 

The general concept for extraction/washing and crystallization of an organic acid (like ascorbic acid) is like this. 

1. Dissolve in water

2. Add an hydrophobic solvent. I would suggest coconut oil in this case (you would need to keep temp about 28 deg C in that case). In food industry they often use hexane as solvent. In pharma they use heptane since it's less toxic than hexane. 

3. Now you have two phases, water and organic solvent. Add acid to this and mix and then stop. They acid need to have a pH lower than the pKa of the substance you want to crystallize. In this case acetic acid would work fine. 

4. Now the product (ascorbic acid) goes from the water phase up to the organic phase. All heavy metals and other water soluble impurities are now in the water phase so through that out. 

5. Add new water. Add a base (like hydrogenbicarbonate). Mix and stop. Now the product (ascorbic acid) goes back to water phase and all fat soluble impurities are left in the solvent phase (coconut oil). Discard the organic solvent. 

6. Crystallization. You can test A) or B.)

A) Add acid again to the water. This will decrease the solubility in water and crystals are formed. 

B.)Add a solvent that is soluble in water but not of the product. In this case ethanol or glycerol would work fine. Crystals are formed

7. Filter of the crystals and let dry (ambient temperature or somewhat elevated temp for faster drying). In industry they often use reduced pressure to speed up drying but I assume most of you dont have this option at home. 

Now you have super pure product. If you are really paranoid you can also add activated charcoal in the extraction phase and filter it off before crystallization. But there might be a mess to clean so do it at a friend house :smile:

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

• Sound simple, are there any other ways to clean my vitamin c? :D
  • If I've time I will make a video. Then it's easier to follow.

The simplest would be a "wash". You put the product in a solvent that it doesn't dissolve in. You can add it to ethanol. Then you get a slurry that you mix vigorously for a few minutes and then filter of the crystals (coffee filter should work fine). At least you get all impurities that dissolve in ethanol removed.

If you have charcoal you can make a simple purification before you drink. Dissolve the ascorbate it water. Before you drink, add charcoal and mix. Filter the charcoal (coffee filter should work fine) and drink. The impurities are in the charcoal that is way you should remove it first.