Sleep Changes

Hi--

I would like to get anyone's suggestions on getting optimal sleep.

Used to go to bed at 9 and sleep through 6am, and that's always been my pattern since I was in my teens (I'm in my mid-40s). In the recent months, I've been falling asleep between 10:30 and 11 and get up at 5. If I try to sleep at 9pm, I would wake up at 2 or 3 am. Here are some data:

• On the weekends, I do 1.5-hr naps
  • Hard to sleep if I don't watch something on my iPhone (I know, I know)
  • Since I only get <7 hours of sleep (5am), I go back to sleep and wake up around 8:30 am (without using the alarm) just so I can compensate the difference
  • One positive thing is if I fall I sleep, it goes all the way through (meaning no peeing in the middle of night, etc.)

I need to go back to my old habits since it's almost back-to-school for my first grader and I cannot afford to lose sleep and go to work and function suboptimally. I just read something about honey (why honey?), magnesium, GABA; which I will try.

Thank you so much in advance!

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Yes, ditch the iPhone, and limit all bright lights. Use orange or red lights after sunset, and/or wear blue-blocking glasses. Make sure your bedroom is dark, cool and quiet.

The honey is meant to keep your blood sugar from going too low during sleep. Magnesium supplementation is probably a good idea (see: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2078-bulletproof-magnesium-thread/)

In the morning have some bright light (preferably the sun, but there are special devices available too), and enjoy the sun throughout the day while you can. Eat breakfast soon after waking up, stop eating two to three hours before sleep. Don't have any coffee or other stimulants after 1 or 2 pm. And don't workout too late. The goal is to set all processes within your body just right so that everything is synchronized to make you sleep from 9 to 6, and be active from 6 to 9. You can help realize that, among others, with the things I mentioned. Read up on circadian rhythms and what influences them, understanding the underlying mechanisms can help to make better choices throughout the day.

This is an interesting article another member posted a while back: https://aeon.co/essays/soon-we-will-see-chrono-attached-to-every-form-of-medicine