Mobility Hacks

JRHJRH
edited August 2016 in Athletic Performance

Hi All,

I wanted to get an idea for everyone's daily mobility routines. I have been training since the age of 16 , but haven't had a great deal of focus on mobility and flexibility until of late when I started to get back pain (presumably due to lordosis from sitting in office all day)

I signed up to MobilityWOD - but wanted to find also a daily routine to correct the following issues:

- Lordosis in lower back

- Broke both my shoulder when I was young which has caused lack of mobility in the shoulder joints 

- Feet tend to cave outwards when I sit, possibly due to hip mobility

Does anyone have any recommendations of steps I can take to help correct?

I have bought a "Swiss Ball Chair" for work to help improve my posture from sitting all day - so hopefully this can help towards improved posture and mobility also.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi All,

I wanted to get an idea for everyone's daily mobility routines. I have been training since the age of 16 , but haven't had a great deal of focus on mobility and flexibility until of late when I started to get back pain (presumably due to lordosis from sitting in office all day)

I signed up to MobilityWOD - but wanted to find also a daily routine to correct the following issues:

- Lordosis in lower back

Lordosis can be a misleading term. Although it can be a diagnosed pathology, keep in mind the lumbar spine is naturally lordotic.  Anatomy is king and everyone is going to have a unique arrangement of the pelvis and lumbar spine. That being said, if you feel you are running into issues the usual approach will do the trick. ie hip flexor stretch, re patterning quality hip extension, anterior chain motor control and strength etc. etc. 

- Broke both my shoulder when I was young which has caused lack of mobility in the shoulder joints 

Again if there are anatomical alterations as a result of the injury then proceed with caution. In what ranges do you find yourself limited? Try working your way back down the chain and gain some thoracic rotation and extension, scapular mobility and stability and see if that improves your shoulder ROM.  Then you can go after the shoulder joint if you feel limited in the pecs, lats, etc. 

- Feet tend to cave outwards when I sit, possibly due to hip mobility

Sorry not sure I understand this one. 

Does anyone have any recommendations of steps I can take to help correct?

It is impossible to prescribe applications without an assessment.  With a quick Google search though you can find simple methods to test tissue length and "hack" your way through a self assessment. Just make sure you have a metric to understand why you are performing a certain stretch.  ie don't stretch the lat unless you know the lat is tight.  And if you don't make changes in the tissue then move on and use a different approach. Happy stretching!

I have bought a "Swiss Ball Chair" for work to help improve my posture from sitting all day - so hopefully this can help towards improved posture and mobility also.

Thanks!

Thrive Fitness borntothrive.ca
    Thrive Health organicsulfurcrystals.ca
    Functional Movement Systems functionalmovement.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file