Body By Science / Other Exercise

I've just started following the BBS Big Five free weight protocol once per week but I also really enjoy swimming and cycling for recreational purposes.

The book really lays everything on the line about maximizing muscle recovery time etc and doesn't really mention anything about other exercise.  I'm not sure, for example, whether to make my weekly swim a less strenuous type affair to help the muscles recover or to do sprint intervals etc with rest periods to try to apply the BBS principles to the swimming...

Any advice on this would be great!! 

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

actually drummin had issues with his capoera and stuff and gaining muscles with bbs. i think it is because of all his other activities even if he did not say it like this... however as long as you are gaining everything should be fine. ;)

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Actually I was (and still am) aiming for strength, not size, and I think there's just only so much you can get as a newbie doing single sets. It might work better with fancier machines or with a trainer there to assist you so you can fatigue more of your muscles instead of stopping whenever you can't complete a rep. Even then though, I think there's more benefits to be reaped from something with at least a bit more volume.
  • DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

I think BBS will increase both since it is aiming on all the different types of muscles you have so you should have some increase in strength and some in size...

Of course there are other workouts for achieving specific goals quicker like increasing strength only and not endurance for example... like it is different for becoming an strength athlete instead of just fitting some exercise into your busy week.

What I was trying to say is if it works for you don't change it and come back if it does not. :)

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• From long experience with SuperSlow, BBS, and similar protocols, I suggest thinking about your other activities recreationally rather than as additional "exercise" and adjust your volume and intensity accordingly.

If you continue to make progress (increasing weight and/or time under load) in every BBS training session, great.  If not, consider reducing the other activities before resting longer between training sessions.

Good luck.

• I've been using a variation of Doug McGuff's protocol for some time now and I think SuperSlow provides for exceptional results. I do two days per week of these exercises by splitting up body parts and I do two sets per body part rather than just one. I then do training session per week with heavy weights and one with light weights and high reps.