Finally A Study That Doesn't Imply Introverts Are Shy, Inhibited, Socially Anxious Or Timid

RekaReka ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Biohacker Banter

http://www.livescience.com/8500-brains-introverts-reveal-prefer.html

It is not shyness, inhibition or intimidation or anxiousness. We just don't care that much, simple as that.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

Comments

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

I just find most other people dull, annoying, self-absorbed, or downright incompetent. I also find smaller social events uninteresting and annoying since in my area they focus mostly on alcohol and gossip. Which increases my annoyance with local society at large. That being said, I do tend to pay attention to the faces around me since they are such a wealth of information about people without having to go through the lengthy social process of bothering a stranger out in public. I also enjoy larger events like festivals and concerts. I'm not even good at being introverted it seems :/

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

It's a continuum rather than being a type, and we are just people who cannot be forcefitted into types like this. So don't worry about not being a good introvert, rather just be yourself. :D

I also find that while introverts are supposed to be good listeners, I don't always pay attention and most of the time I don't like people talking to me. Of course I can be a very good listener when I choose to be. 

I'm just so fed up when people believe that everyone wants to be at the center of attention, always among a large group of people, conversing all the time, and those who are solitary all secretly want this but they are not good / brave / skilled enough to do it, WTF?

I work in an open office which obviously favours extroverts, and I see people all the time sneaking into a quiet room or the toilet reserved for disabled people, because those are the only places where you can have a little privacy. And they all do it very quickly and sneakily, trying to keep it in secret. But why are they ashamed of needing some private time? Everyone is acting guilty about it, I was doing it too, and these incidents made me realize that there are many people around who also like privacy and enjoy some solutide sometimes. And they also believe that they would be judged and embarrassed because of it... It's like a stigma, while actually about half of the population is on the introverted part of the spectrum. And yet we still feel the pressure to explain and excuse ourselves, like if it was a perversion better kept secret... WTF.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Only crazy people can stand being alone.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

Only crazy people can stand being alone.

Crazy people are never alone. At least that's what the voices keep telling me...

It's a continuum rather than being a type, and we are just people who cannot be forcefitted into types like this. So don't worry about not being a good introvert, rather just be yourself. :D

All tongue-in-cheek ;) It's even more amusing when people try to cram us into zodiac signs, Myer's-Briggs nonsense, numerological charts, or ready-made societal labels. It's like the population has not mastered the art of asking people what they think and how they feel, they'd rather slap a label on it and go on to the next. I've been told what I think about things more often than I've ever given my opinion on the things! Mostly by people who have no idea what I think. Not to mention having my personality dictated to me by someone else. I'm a projection magnet, my personality type at this point is movie screen, everyone loves to project onto me. You find out the most interesting things about people you know that way though, so it's not entirely without its perks. Fun times!

TL;DR

The only label that really applies is iconoclast. I am Iconoclastes, Breaker of Labels!

• I think there is *some* merit to things like zodiac, enneagram, etc., but it seems to be just a small piece of a bigger puzzle that it is to be human.

I always thought of myself as an extrovert, but looking back I see that it was more me just trying to fit in with whatever crowd I found myself in as we moved around a lot when I was a kid.

The older I get I see myself more as an introvert, but not because I am shy as stated above. I just agree with the needing alone time, not really being interested in so much of the b.s. that is in society, etc.
  • Bull of HeavenBull of Heaven ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

I think there is *some* merit to things like zodiac, enneagram, etc., but it seems to be just a small piece of a bigger puzzle that it is to be human.

I always thought of myself as an extrovert, but looking back I see that it was more me just trying to fit in with whatever crowd I found myself in as we moved around a lot when I was a kid.

The older I get I see myself more as an introvert, but not because I am shy as stated above. I just agree with the needing alone time, not really being interested in so much of the b.s. that is in society, etc.

The only thing and I mean the only thing, that I love more than being with other people is being alone. 

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”