On A Total Budget...

Dear All:

I am on a very tight budget and can only afford to buy the coffee and brain octane and butter... 

what are some of the ways that one can save money since I cant afford grassfed beef most of the time nor organically grown anything besides veggies? 

my budget for each meal will cost what one would pay for at Subway...

HELP! 

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

Not every veggie has to be organic. You can find lists of which are likely to be contaminated if not organic, and which are safer. Eggs are also okay if not organic because the hen's body sort of filters for toxins. Organ meats are much cheaper than muscle meat, at least where I live, you can't eat them everyday of course (you could overdose on vitamin A), but like twice a week. 

Edit: protein powder is also a cheaper source of protein than food so you can use it as a supplement to get more protein.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Buy lean conventional beef, frozen vegetables, rice and sweet potatoes, eggs and coconut oil, canned fish, buy herbs and spices to improve taste. And if it's still too expensive just make one or two of your meals BP.

• If you're on a tight budget, I hope you didn't waist money ordering the bulletproof coffee beans : )  

Also, though not as good or potent, if you hunt around you can find pretty inexpensive MCT oil and then adjust the amounts appropriately.  As far as food, I think canned wild sardines have a lot of bang for the buck, usually costing around $2.50 a can.  Buying in bulk helps.

• Bull of HeavenBull of Heaven ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

Become friends with your neighbors, start a garden. There are a lot of free or cheap veggies to be found. Drive around the country, find folks selling produce go to farmers markets avoid folks who think there produce deserves more money than it should. 

I love these budget threads when OP doesn't give their general demographic/geography and the $ on the budget. I'm single and live in a rural area and my budget is about $50 a week or $200 a month on groceries, maybe an extra $50 a month on special meals/ snacks.

What have you seen for beef prices. Some folks make it sound like the GF is so much more expensive, even walmart usually has gf ground chuck for $5-7/lb even the conventional stuff goes for $4-5/lb. The price for local butcher, smaller grocery stores, and straight from the grower are usually fairly comparable in my area. Farm Markets are the only place I see people trying to sell pasture meat for way way way too much. Don't be afraid of conventional vs. organic unless you really do your homework on the subject, the actual organic label is very elaborate scam. Again support local agriculture when you can even if its conventional.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

There are a ton of threads like this one on the forum if you can figure out the site's search function. Here's one

My opinion can be boiled down to this, though: Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Eat the best food you can afford, even if it isn't strictly Bulletproof. If you're living on a shoestring budget, then you shouldn't find ways to shell out for the super fancy stuff that Dave is selling. It's nice, but ultimately unnecessary. Stick to the basics. Conventional meats and veggies won't kill you. They're not optimal, and grass-fed is better, but if you're eating a diet of whole foods and not stressing over purity you'll be better off than 80-90% of people. Lean beef, lean chicken, tinned fish, cheap whey with no additives will cover protein. Conventional eggs, too. Conventional veggies and fruits are still very nutritious. Rice and potatoes, bananas, conventional butter, the list goes on.

And if your cost per meal is about the cost of what you can get at Subway, well... why not just eat at Subway, then? Their food isn't perfect, but if you want to avoid bread I imagine you could still put together a pretty nice salad there. And hell, if you don't have major issues with wheat and you're fairly active, the odd sandwich won't ruin you, either. Not saying that you should start eating the absolute cheapest junk foods you can find 24/7, but you could do far, far worse than a sensibly-constructed 6" sub.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• CallenCallen
    edited September 2016

If you're on a budget, don't buy anything from the Bulletproof store, except for mayyybe the Brain Octane. You can find cheaper and almost-as-good-if-not-as-good alternatives for virtually everything BP sells. 

Also, I'm not on a particularly strict budget, but I've been skipping breakfast every day for a few months. Intermittent fasting (I'm unconvinced of the science behind the BP intermittent fast), and your body gets used it after a few days. 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

Some more to consider, I don't know prices around your parts of the world, but here you can buy excellent lean pork very cheap. Meat is not only beef you know. The pork tighs I usually get cost like 1/3 of the equivalent part of beef (not the fancy beef parts). You can also try chicken or turkey or whatever, depending on your preferences and their cost.

The other thing is, I don't know how refined coconut oil is made, maybe it's bad, but here it costs around 1/5 the price of virgin coconut oil. Of course, only if you need more fat.

And yeah, frozen veggies often cost less than fresh ones, and they are very good quality, only the best ones get frozen anyway. Most of seasonal fruits are also cheap.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Washing non-organic vegetables, fruit and herbs with water en vinegar will do the job. I still suggest organic meat and poultry but you don't have to eat large quantities of them. Some meatless days won't harm you and there are still other good sources of protein like eggs (where free range is more important than organic imho) or some seeds/legumes. Fat should not be a problem at all. If your intake of omega-3 is an issue, consider a good supplement. 

And as said before, a diet of non-organic but still whole foods is much better than the SAD. 

Last tip: invest in or use an refrigerator and buy in bulk. 

• Sardines are one of (if not the most) cost effective foods you can buy especially when you consider the nutrient density. I buy them from Costco and pay less than $2 per can and they are really good. I also buy canned Salmon there as well, another super nutrient dense food. The cost for them is more than Sardines but if you have an issue with the taste of Sardines, I find the canned Salmon much more mild. 

As for Whey Protein, in my own quest for the best All Natural Whey Protein (highest quality at the lowest cost) I created a chart to compare the various All Natural Whey Protein powders available with several criteria to sort by like Grass-Fed or Not, Concentrate, Isolate or Combination and "Cost Per Gram Of Protein" which will help you quickly see the most cost effective All Natural Whey Protein powders. 

Here's the link to the chart: http://www.renegadedad.net/all-natural-whey-protein-comparison-chart

Click on the header "Cost Per Gram of Protein" to sort the list by lowest to highest or vice versus.