Chest Pains (Heart) On Bp Diet

Gen2Gen2
edited October 2016 in The Bulletproof Diet

[EDIT: SOLVED] IT WASNT CAUSED BY THE DIET, BUT BY A STERNUM INFLAMMATION JUST ABOVE THE HEART AREA that caused heart stress ! I'm back and happy on the bullet proof diet :D   [/SOLVED]

Original post:

Hello all ! I hope you can help me!

I'm 28 , I've been 1 month on the BP diet. I started to experience chest pains after day 10

I'm using the BP diet mostly for the cognitive improvement and to slightly decrease body fat % to get some more muscle definition, it's working great so far !

I need much less sleep than I used to and I notice that I can concentrate and focus better than I used to with a classic glucose diet.

Some days I feel great  but about 1 out of every 3 days I'm having chest pain that sometimes last 1/3 of the entire day !! that a long time !

Today as I'm writing this, I woke up with chest pain it was going on and off but i had it most of the day ! this is bad ! makes me worried ! only now before sleep it is gradually decreasing ...

I never ever had this chest pains before trying the BP diet ! still I hope is fixable as I experienced many benefits!

Here are some points that I hope can clue to what I'm doing wrong (please ask me if i missed something) :

- Every morning I'm drinking green tea (instead of coffee) and butter only, no other foods,

- During the day I'm also drinking green tea with butter plus veggies, consuming about 120g of salted Kerrygold a day

- In the evening I eat the protein and a little carbs and drink Camilla tea with butter.

- I haven't used MCTs yet or coconut oil yet, I'm only using butter so far ...

-I'm eating veggies every day with butter and salt: mainly broccoli, cucumbers, lettuce also eating 1 avocado every 3rd day or so.

-I'm alternating protein types on different days as not to use one type too much in a raw: 3 eggs one day, fish, mainly salmon and or sardines another day, ham or beef (less often) another day. I always consume protein after 4pm and in the evening.

-I tried to getting more salt , or eating some garlic - one time i had the impression that i got worse with garlic but i can't be sure that's the cause or it's related, I eliminated garlic since then but I still have the chest pains.

-I'm almost not consuming any dairy only unsweetened greek yogurt once every 4-5 days or so

-My carbs are low, and I only consume them in the evening - in a day it could be 2tbs honey, 1 banana , 2tbs peanut butter . 

-Having about 1/3 lemon a day as lemon water was recommended.

-I also have plenty of water every day.

-I haven't been exercising much in this period, just about 30 minute jogs once a week.

-I tried to supplement with low quantities (half of recommended daily dose) of multivitamins one every 2-3 days in case something was missing, still no change in the chest pains.

thank you in advance !

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    Have you been to see a doctor ?

fake it till you make it

• Gen2Gen2
    edited September 2016

Have you been to see a doctor ?

I did go to a hospital, they got all kind of tests and did not find anything, pressure and blood tests all looked normal to them. The nurse said she thinks is not heart related, but stress related... the doctor coud not say anything specific and said that all parameters look normal... 

I have a doctor appointment in 7 days , trying to find if somebody had this problem or an ideas of what this might be ....

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    It will help if you detail/describe your 'chest pain'

Eg.

- Exact location.

- How big an area is the pain.

- Type of pain... burning, stabbing, pressure/construction, intermittent/pulsing, constant, ...

- What brings it on (if anything)... eating, exercise, ...

fake it till you make it

• Gen2Gen2
    edited September 2016

It will help if you detail/describe your 'chest pain'

Eg.

- Exact location.

- How big an area is the pain.

- Type of pain... burning, stabbing, pressure/construction, intermittent/pulsing, constant, ...

- What brings it on (if anything)... eating, exercise, ...

small area, constant, more like stabbing, center left, just on the left side of the sternum, space between the second and third rib under (meaning deeper inside towards the heart ) the spot where they attach to the sternum.

comes and goes on its own .. cant figure what makes it go away or what causes it 

• GERD, chest/sternum/rib inflammation, panic attacks? 

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• Start doing HRV training or meditating. Are you getting enough energy in total every day? You are eating very low carb, could be useful for you but needs to be monitored properly to not hurt yourself. Low carb can be very stressful to the body if not done properly or for too long, even more so with calorie restriction. Same goes for fasting, it's not a necessity. Only use it if it helps you get better. Gut health is another basic requirement to feel and perform well. 

You can try pinpointing the exact cause of this mysterious pain, or just start covering the basics. Which means having a normal breakfast and other meals throughout the day, don't shy away from carbs, drink bone broth, manage stress, exercise, hydrate properly, etc.

• Gen2Gen2
    edited September 2016

Start doing HRV training or meditating. Are you getting enough energy in total every day? You are eating very low carb, could be useful for you but needs to be monitored properly to not hurt yourself. Low carb can be very stressful to the body if not done properly or for too long, even more so with calorie restriction. Same goes for fasting, it's not a necessity. Only use it if it helps you get better. Gut health is another basic requirement to feel and perform well. 

You can try pinpointing the exact cause of this mysterious pain, or just start covering the basics. Which means having a normal breakfast and other meals throughout the day, don't shy away from carbs, drink bone broth, manage stress, exercise, hydrate properly, etc.

thanks for the advice, I'll try to do a carb reuptake today and increase the carbs daily and see if it helps

I also don't exclude it could be a digestion problem that subconsciously drives stress up or something ? how do I aid my digestion? is there different things that help digest carbs, fats and protein ? or it's all one thing?

thanks !

• Gen2Gen2
    edited September 2016

I been having this chest pains in the last few days I would say the last week with particularly bad last 3-4 days.

- I suspect irregular heart rates , but i might be mistaken.

- I still cant pin point the cause of the symptoms, and what makes them come and go. When the heart pains are fading off---  I have symptoms for tingling of the eye, sometime the single left eye for example that can be particularly noticeable --- other symptoms mild finger tingling and feet tingling.

- Im currently just trying to drink water and doing relaxation exersises ..

- been looking into pranayama books and videos .... seeing what works ...

still therse symptoms and on off of cheat pains the tingeleing the eyes and fingers and feet seem to have a cause of its own regardless of what im trying to do or eat.

so far no particular results as improvement ... chest pains continue going on for few hours and away to normal ... even tough in the last days the weirdness is more off than off ...  

in your opinion what would be the safest thing to do ? -- fasting , carb loading or maybe just particular food intake ? 

- I'm keeping hydration and just avoiding any food intake from yesterday evening when I did a mild 40g carb reuptake

- been eating veggies with butter and green tea and about 2-3 liters of water a day

- been ketogenic with 2 carb reuptakes during this one month period.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

You may need much more electrolytes. The minimal doses / bare minimum of electrolytes suggested by Lyle McDonald, Volek and Phinney for keto dieters are:

5000 mg sodium

1000 mg potassium

300 mg magnesium

besides what you get from food. Keto is diuretic and it causes an increased excretion of these. Pile them up for a few days and see if you feel better. (Or start eating a more balanced diet and see if you feel better.)

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

well what kind of chest pain is it? sometimes this "chest" paint can come from your ribs which start in your back from sitting around and not straight. However the minerals like Reka said are important and likely to be low. 

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Gen2Gen2
    edited September 2016

thank you for the tips so far :) , I think I'm getting close to the solution.

I'm experimenting now getting more electrolytes and not too low carbs .... I haven't solved everything yet but I think i'm getting better on average.

But yes, I 99.5% sure that is definitely nothing wrong with the ribs or bones, but has to do with heart rhythms and heart beats --- that might be caused by stress, not good digestion or lack of necessary foods or micronutrients or a combination of those (and possibly something else?).

I'm also noticing that some pranayama breathing exercises seem to be helpful to mitigate the symptoms even though are not the complete solution.

I'm putting together what is working best to mitigate the symptoms , I'll definitely update the main post with the solutions as I figure out what helps ! :)

• BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

Don't forget that starting a new way of eating can often throw off your gut biome, which can be the true source of chest pains. Sounds strange, but the gut isn't the most intuitive thing ever. 

Did you also start taking any new supplements around that time, or was it only your diet that changed? Rika's advice is very good, also. I would also make sure to get a good antioxidant pool together... C, D3, the Bs, A and E.

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!

• BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

I was going to "Like" your last post Gen2, but apparently I've reach my limit for liking posts today. lol... 

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!

• http://fixyourgut.com/can-stomach-issues-cause-heart-disease/

For more info on gut related cardiac issues.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• I had the exact same experience, I was on RFLP ( I know not recommended especially if you only have 10lbs to lose) but I wanted to experiment, 10 days in and I had severe shortness of breath and pressure on my chest, I went to the ER and according to them everything cardiac/pulmonary related was normal. I ended my fast but still looking for the real reason this happened.