Call Me Skeptical / Oh, Where To Start?

edited September 2016 in The Bulletproof Diet

Hi Everyone,

I have to apologize right up front because I did NOT do a thorough search (only a modest one) for recent similar threads.... but didn't find any.

Soooooo..... my adventure today.......

There's a local used book store here that stocks thousands of titles, and I actually went in there looking for another book, the book from the Eat Dirt guy that I saw on PBS. A friend of mine just watched his video, and was SUPER-DUPER excited about it all and told me I just HAD to do this with her right now THIS INSTANT! I thought maybe I would check out the book, and thumb through it...... IF the local used store had it..... But.......... didn't find it. There on the shelf was "The Bulletproof Diet" instead.

I had never heard of this whole concept until recently, but a friend of mine, very concerned for my health, really really really really really wanted me to try The Bulletproof Diet (TBD). A local coffee shop does actually serve "Bulletproof Coffee" here, and I had a cup once and I thought it was great.... but it's a bit of a drive over there.

Anyway, I was thumbing through the TBD book, and feeling that at even half the retail price, it was a good investment in me and my health, so I bought it.

...... so..... quick sidebar...... on the way home, I stopped by a national chain bookstore, and figured they'd have the Eat Dirt book, and lo and behold they did, but it was nowhere to be found on their shelves either. Instead, the had the "Bulletproof Diet Cookbook," which could be mine for a mere $27.99. Thumbed through that. Wow. Some of the dishes looked pretty good, but I'd already forked over a few bucks for the other one. Maybe another day.

Then I got home, and started thumbing through TBD. Specifically, when I had thumbed through it in the bookstore, I noticed these repeated references to "C8" and "MCT" throughout the book, and couldn't figure out WHAT in God's name he was talking about. Took me a while to finally track each one down through the index, and what each one meant. But...... then....... frustration set in as he would not say where one could obtain this most precious of commodities, the "C8 MCT" brain oil. I mean...... I really searched hard.

Finally the (very dim) light bulb went off over my head. Oh yeah. He doesn't tell you where to get it, because you have to get it from here.

So, let's see....... $14 for the used copy of the TBD......... coulda spent $28 on the TBD cook book, and coulda ordered (and still could) the C8 MCT oil here for another $27..... oh, and by the way, once I surfed over to this site, it's like....... HERE........ drink this coffee......... $18 for a 12 oz bag (OUCH!!!)..... and wow...... I haven't even ingested one single ounce of food or beverage yet!

BUT....... actually, to me, what was interesting was that there WAS a little overlap in the intro to the Bulletproof Diet. He does mention the syndrome about "leaky gut" and toxins and undigested food leaking back in etc etc (which appears to be the basic thesis of the Eat Dirt guy, and actually, first heard about this ages ago.... not a stranger to the concept). Which kind of left me scratching my head......

If the whole "leaky gut" thing is so important, maybe I should do THAT diet first, and THEN do this one? Because even though I don't have a copy of the Eat Dirt book, I know that he recommends mushrooms and TBD doesn't.

So....... you know..... basic confusion. 

And then, it's like the Eat Dirt guy claims that leaky gut is the major cause of illness, but the TBD guy says I can lose weight and feel great.

Sigh.

Yes, I'm 52 and have some health issues. High Blood Sugar (I refuse to call it "The D Word"), and Chronic Sleep Apnea (30+ years). Oh, there are others, but I could use some help. YES, the pounds are not going away. They don't seem to be getting worse, but they're not going away either.

There were (it seemed) THOUSANDS of diet books on the shelf at this national chain bookstore. They even had a whole shelf just for leaky gut diets. A whole shelf for the Paleo diet (actually, a couple), then there were the vegan shelves, the gluten-free shelves, etc. etc. etc. I mean...... screw...... where do you start, you know?

And like someone else posted elsewhere, I'm on a limited budget, and I try to buy organic when I can (usually from Costco)........ but..... Even as delicious as it sounds.... some grass fed beef slowly cooked in some grass fed butter...... damn.... not gonna be eating that a lot (and thumbing through the book I understand that too).

So, the reason for the post, you're probably asking........ Not sure what I need here. Maybe just to vent a little? Maybe some reassurance from the people here that this is not a pyramid scheme (sorry..... but...... when it's like: here, buy this. Oh, and you have to buy this. And then buy this. And you DESPERATELY need this from me.... and to go with that thing, you need this other thing, and...... and...... and......)... it sets my alarm bells off, IN A MAJOR WAY, you know?

So...... bottom line. Anyone here with diabetes and sleep apnea, and how did the TBD affect your health?

I need some motivation here that this is not just the latest fad...... I guess that's all.

Thanks for being patient and understanding. Please don't kill me. Thanks.

As Columbo would say..... one more thing......

I noticed that he mentions that the Bulletproof Coffee has to be BLENDED. So, yeah, one more thing to buy. I mean, yes, I have a huge 1950s blender. NOT gonna be hauling it out for coffee everyday. Which means, ANOTHER THING TO BUY..... a hand blender.

Problem for me is this: I like my coffee PIPING hot. I use a French Press, and it's BARELY hot enough for me coming out of there. So, I have to add this C8 MCT oil, then the butter, then blend...... that sounds like a recipe for a delicious but tepid cup of coffee if I ever heard one. And, yeah, not allowed to use the microwave either (according to what I read in the TBD).

How do other people solve this problem? Do you re-heat it on the stove, then?

Comments

• personally, i think the most useful thing is maybe just to download the diet map and experiment with eating in the "green zone" for a while to see if you like it, then dabble in the suspect foods and see if anything bothers you. i used to buy most of the recommended bulletproof products but have decided they aren't really a big enough priority in my budget. i highly doubt mct is any special "superfood", and i have switched to some FRESH locally roasted coffee (single origin, fully washed, high altitude). i wouldn't worry about following any special "biohacking protocols" like "bulletproof intermittent fasting" unless you really want to, but again, a lot of it seems like hype to me. Mostly, just eat a large quantity and variety of veggies and some pastured/grass fed meat and some healthy fat, and things like rice and sweet potatoes for carbs. 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

It seems you could make a lot of progress with just focusing on the basics, like cutting out processed food products and adding meats, veggies and some supplements. If you come from a not too healthy background, taking these steps would make a huge difference. No need to buy anything, you can do great without MCT and the coffee. Also depends on your particular problems and goals. Don't sweat about how much % grassfed, or mushrooms or no mushrooms. Try to find the simple steps that contribute to a healthier lifestyle and are easy and inexpensive to maintain long term. Don't sweat the small stuff.

And if you like hot black coffee, drink it that way, or if you don't like drinking any coffee, don't drink any, you don't have to buy this coffee brand unless you are really extremely sensitive to toxins. A blender could prove useful but it's not a necessity.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• That all sounds like really great advice. Thank you so very much!!!

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

haha, you can try doing thing in chunks. first of all improvement of research skills. this site has a shop where you can order the brain octane and stuff...

then you can try to do things the biohacker way. if you do not want to put out the blender every day think lazy but smart. leave it out there instead of putting it away all the time or maybe just throw the butter into the coffee and stir it. will not be the same consistency but now that you are becoming a biohacker it is not so much about how it tastes but way more about how you feel from your new experiments. focus on the outcome and you will get there. somehow over time. cheers :D

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• edited September 2016

Thanks again to everyone chiming in with advice. Baby steps seems to be the way to go. And, WAY less chance of feeling overwhelmed. A local store here has a theme and variation of the MCT oil. Perhaps not the same potency as the Brain Oil, but I figured better than doing nothing, right? It's a start.

Also...... I love olives.

So........... Kind of a silly question......... but.......... by olives, does he mean the "fresh" Kalamata ones you get at the deli section of the local supermarket? I'm assuming by what I've read so far, that he couldn't mean the ones in jars or cans, right?

From what I've read, my understanding is that all olives have to undergo some "processing" in order to be edible. I just wasn't sure which kind he thought was best.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

There is a good chance you won't notice any difference from brain octain over regular MCT. I don't. That is why bulletproof sells both...

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Thanks again to everyone chiming in with advice. Baby steps seems to be the way to go. And, WAY less chance of feeling overwhelmed. A local store here has a theme and variation of the MCT oil. Perhaps not the same potency as the Brain Oil, but I figured better than doing nothing, right? It's a start.

Also...... I love olives.

So........... Kind of a silly question......... but.......... by olives, does he mean the "fresh" Kalamata ones you get at the deli section of the local supermarket? I'm assuming by what I've read so far, that he couldn't mean the ones in jars or cans, right?

From what I've read, my understanding is that all olives have to undergo some "processing" in order to be edible. I just wasn't sure which kind he thought was best.

You can choose fresh olives or olives in glass containers. Canned is probably fine too, but there might be concerns, and as far as I know the glass containers are just as economical.

Don't assume everything has to be fresh and/or organic. There's a list somewhere that shows which vegetables/fruits are better organic, and which don't matter. Frozen vegetables are great, doesn't have to be fresh. Vegetables/fruits in jars can be fine too, but it depends on how they are jarred, in what type of liquid, with what ingredients, etc.