Earthing Mat

Dave, this would save me an outrageous amount of money and time (not lazy, I've been searching for ages and cannot find the answer). I've been religiously following your blog entries on Bulletproof, whilst promoting your work ethic to all my friends, and I saw you mentioned sleeping on an earthing mat.

I've found an earthing 'mat' and and earthing 'sheet'. The difference between the price is pretty huge, around $200 more for the sheet. Whilst the sheet is designed for sleeping, the question I ask, following in your fastidiously economic footsteps, is could I use the smaller 'mat' on my bed instead of the sheet? Surely these work on the same technology, one can't be better designed for the day or night? Would really appreciate a reply. Stay bulletproof.

Comments

• RodRod The Rodfather
    Hey,

Dave is pretty busy and doesn't get a chance to reply here. If you must talk to him, he offers coaching but other than that, some of us try to help. I would get the mat first and see how you feel, perhaps test your self. You can sleep on it with out your shirt but a sheet would be more efficient. You really need to see if the matt is going to make a difference for your with out that. What are you sleeping goals? Do you have a Zeo?

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• I'm curious about earthing mats as well. Everything I've read online basically says its nonsense. Hearing that one person slept better isn't very convincing lol. I've looked on here not very througly ill admit, couldn't find any science behind it. http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=214266 is a forum post few people discussing it. Curious if you could show a little more proof, or is it just anecdotal evidence? Thanks
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    These guys in the forum are a bunch of noobs who don't don't much. After reading for 3 minutes, they were al fighting with each other tangenting off. Get a multi meter and do the test, you will show a lesser charge when your using it. Will it help you sleep better? It depends, everyone is different and may be so sensitive but for most people it will improve sleep.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• http://skeptoid.com/mobile/4072 you can listen to this podcast, I believe this is basically the same deal?
  • Just very curious before I drop money on one
  • For those who are skeptical about Earthing mat. I have been using it for almost a year now image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':-)' />. I use the mat and sleep naked (grin) and it works wonders for me! It has done the following for me based on the following things: I am diabetic, have many other health issues (autoimmune) and skin lesions due to poor healing. Since I have used the earthing mat the following has happened: my diabetes is more manageable with deeper rest (less stress), my skin lesions have finally healed, and I have less anxiety. I am not sure why all of these things have changed over the year, but I DO notice a difference when I don't use it for more than 1 week! When I was travelling without it during a week a times, I notice the differences. I now take it with me everywhere.
  • On another important note, be sure to wipe or wash it with mild soap at least 1 week to clean off the build up of skin persperations or "dirty" from sweating on it.
  • I was wondering about this as well.

I work in a hospital and have access to the ECG pads for cardiac monitoring. I put those on my body and then wired them to the ground in my electrical outlet. Using it religiously for 2 weeks and monitoring pulse all night through a garmin watch (which records your rates on a graph which you can view in the morning and compare against other nights).

Both my heart rate and my satisfaction with my sleep remained unchanged.

BMF
  • I have been using the earthing mat for about 3 weeks now. I really believe it helps! There is a book that comes with the kit you get from upgraded self. The book explains some of the science behind what it does for you. It is measurable, as butter master said, with a multi meter. Almost every time I use it, I get a tingling in my legs and that is subtle but very pleasing.

If you don't want to spend the $60 you can build one yourself for about $8. But I prefer the portability, ease of use, and testing equipment to ensure safety that comes with the kit.

Bottom line is, if you want to "be bulletproof" you should do everything you can to give yourself the best chance at being awesome across the board. I am slowly purchasing or using more and more bio hacks that BPE recommends, and this is one that I use every day now.
  • OceanRayOceanRay
    edited January 2013
    'Rod' wrote:

These guys in the forum are a bunch of noobs who don't don't much.

Yes. People who do a lot of 'don't don't-ing' annoy me too.
  • I bought the silver laced earthing bed sheet after watching the interview with the guy who pioneered it and Dr Mercola here

There's some article on pubmed here giving an overview

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/?tool=pubmed

and this

http://www.earthinginstitute.net/studies/thermographic_histories_2004.pdf

Did I notice anything? Not really, but I don't expect to notice what's going to be a small incremental improvement given my pretty good health at the moment. I'm in the ocean fairly frequently for half the year with water sports so I get a good grounding then.

I drop almost a couple hundred every two months on supplements, so $200 or whatever it was for something that's basically a one off seemed like a reasonable investment. Would I recommend it? Seeing as it's only a one-off purchase then if you're into being bullet proof, don't get much time barefoot or in the ocean, and have some discretionary income then why not.
  • I think it works better for power naps/jetlag than for sleep. Sometimes I wake up on this thing (mat) with my heart rate going nuts. It is supposed to increase hr variability but I am not sure what's what right now-- too many variables. 

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Any one know how to test your self with a multimeter. Seen it done on a few youtube videos, but not sure what you set the meter to and what you connect the prongs to. Have a earthing mat for my office desk and want to test it's working properly and earthing me when I touch it.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Evan BrandEvan Brand Writer and Explorer

Hey Katolotus, I don't have any experience with Earthing mats except for the real earthing mats (the ground outside), but I will say that acupressure mats might be something work checking out too! I wrote about them here, pretty much cured my energy lag and back pain.

Evan Brand, NTP, CPT

Functional Medicine Practitioner and Podcast Host at NotJustPaleo.com

Author of REM Rehab and Stress Solutions