Mystery Chest Pain Acid Reflux While On Rflp

Okay so I need some help from my BP community to figure out what is going on with me..

I am not overweight but wanted to lose the 10 lbs that had crept up on me super fast and decided to give RFLP a go. I took all the recommendations and supplements exactly per the protocol and have journaled my progress under women's threads. 

First week went well, I lost some weight, was super motivated and excited to resume the 2nd week. On the second week on my 3rd day just as I had begun to be well in ketosis I started having shortness of breath and feeling of pressure on my chest. Of course I broke my fast, and went to the ER because I really thought I was having a heart attack, they cleared me and said my heart looks fine and what Im experiencing is the effects of my diet!!

A couple of days later when I wasn't feeling much better, I went to see my primary who is a Chinese and western med physician, she also cleared any cardiovascular issues and said that the combination of coffee and fat has triggered acid reflux, also the Betaine pills have probably made it worse, I was also drinking Pellegrino, so that might have not helped as well. She also gave me a supplement to take along with my usual digestive enzymes when I eat fatty food (Biotics Beta TCP). She also recommended I take Prilosec for 2-4 weeks which really surprised me.

I also did a comprehensive blood test today to check lipids, metabolic, minerals, thyroid etc..

So my question is:

1-Can acid reflux mimic all these symptoms? Chest pressure, anxiety, shortness of breath, fatigue...

2-And if it is acid reflux, what do you guys recommend? What caused it? 

3- What else could it be? should I have my heart checked out by a cardiologist?

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

1 no

2 see 1

3 nutrient deficiencies?

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

RFLP is extremely bad for your health. You are excreting minerals at a heightened rate. Best would be to stop RFLP but at least add more electrolytes to balance this. Potassium, sodium, magnesium at least.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• 1 no

2 see 1

3 nutrient deficiencies?

Thanks D, I don't think Im nutrient deficient. We also had a pipe leak in the interim, now Im thinking it could be mold exposure?!11 

• RFLP is extremely bad for your health. You are excreting minerals at a heightened rate. Best would be to stop RFLP but at least add more electrolytes to balance this. Potassium, sodium, magnesium at least.

Reka, I stopped RFLP as soon as I had the symptoms, and Ive checked my minerals all normal.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

1-Can acid reflux mimic all these symptoms? Chest pressure, anxiety, shortness of breath, fatigue...

Yes, DMan is wrong. http://fixyourgut.com/can-stomach-issues-cause-heart-disease/

RFIP, it reduced your microbiome. You had asymptomatic issues beforehand.

Yes, do be safe.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

Yes, DMan is wrong. http://fixyourgut.com/can-stomach-issues-cause-heart-disease/

Yes, do be safe.

lol I never experienced that I got anxiety from acid reflux.... I need to read that article....

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• When I first started this diet I had no issues and I lost some weight. That lasted about a week. I developed acid reflux and I stopped losing weight.  At first I used apple cider vinegar and water to relieve the symptoms  while figuring out what was wrong.  I ordered supplements recommended on the site(blogs and forum) for acid reflux and digesting fats. They didn't help and they cost a lot. And one warning, Mastic Gum gave me severe stomach pains.

Eventually I figured out that I could only have one cup of coffee in the morning. It's a large cup but I only use 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 teaspoons of oil and 1 tablespoon Collagelatin (I'm 49 so figured I could use this last ingredient)  There have been days where I decided to have a second cup of coffee. Not a good idea the acid reflux came back.  I also can't eat the protein bars. Be careful with the fish oil supplements as they have caused mild symptoms for me. Also do not drink water before or with meals as it dilutes your stomach acid so your food doesn't digest as well. Plus you end up being fuller than your stomach can handle. 

Look at  https://blog.rnareset.com/2016/09/29/reset-your-body-the-short-version/ for more on this topic. It has a lot of great information.

I wake up and have water with magnesium and other minerals in it. I use Remag and Remyte from Dr. Carolyn Dean. The magnesium does not cause loose stools or diarrhea  like other magnesium products can. I take this in the morning instead of at night because I have trouble sleeping when I take magnesium at night. If you are not sensitive this way and magnesium helps you sleep take it before bed. The ReMyte has many of the minerals recommended for this diet already in it.  I have bulletproof coffee around 8 or 9 (when I was having 2 cups I would start with a cup early then have one around 10 or 11).  Lunch is between 12-1. Sometimes I have to force myself to eat lunch because most days I am not hungry. Dinner around 5pm. Some days it's 430 and other as late as 6. It depends on when I am hungry. This way I don't snack in between. I try to have olives avocado, or some type of good fat with the meals.

I am losing weight again. I had to give up the desserts after dinner.  Now I lose between 0.4 to 0.6 pounds per day. That's better than losing nothing for over a week then gaining like I had been.

Hope some of this helps.

• I have to respectfully disagree with Dman and agree with John Brisson.  I had all the symptoms you described. If you google "can acid reflux feel like a heart attack"  you will find that a great many people who go to the ER thinking they are having a heart attack have GERD.   The reflux became so bad at night that I had to sleep sitting up at a right angle, or the burning acid would come up my throat.  A few times I even inhaled it into my lungs, and coughing that up for 10 or 15 minutes was pure misery.  

I realize you don't have all those symptoms and hopefully you never will.  I agree with John that you should get your heart checked to be on the safe side.

I had to cut back some on all the fat I was eating, and I had to stop drinking coffee with MCT oil and butter in it (which I loved).  I went to a Gastro Doc who prescribed Prilosec, which made me throw up several times a day - awful!  It's actually one of the listed side effects!  I stopped using it, started on a good probiotic, starting eating fermented vegetables, kefir, and kombucha, never eat dinner later than 2 hours before bedtime.  My symptoms have all gone away.  

Also, I highly recommend  John Brisson's book "Fix your gut", which you can get on Amazon.  Good luck!

• edited September 2016

Yes, do be safe.

Thanks all for your responses.

My lab tests are back and here are the results:

Cholesterol Total: 259

HDL 84

LDL 161

Triglycerides 71

Chol/HDLC ratio 3.1

No particle size data yet, need to do this seperately

Homocysteine 5.9

metabolic, kidney liver markers all in range and good.

Glucose 85

A1C 5.1

T3 total 71 (low)

T3 free 2.5 normal

TSH 3.0

white blood cell count 3.7 low

absolute monocyte 167 low

everything else normal

minerals, B12, D all in range.

Im still experiencing shortness of breath, my Dr thinks I might have pushed myself into severe adrenal fatigue with the fast. 

Im not concerned about the LDL as we know on this forum, could the low white blood cell count be caused by shock to my system and the adrenal?

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    Unusual that they just did T3 (free & total) for the thyroid,

did they not do TSH as well ?

fake it till you make it

• Unusual that they just did T3 (free & total) for the thyroid,

did they not do TSH as well ?

Yes they did forgot to mention TSH was 3.0.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Yes they did forgot to mention TSH was 3.0.

Thyroid is probably not optimal I would get more tests. Read Stop the Thyroid Madness for more information.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Thyroid is probably not optimal I would get more tests. Read Stop the Thyroid Madness for more information.

Thanks John, what tests would you recommend? Ill check it out.

for adrenal fatigue go check your cortisol.

how is your blood pressure and heart rate? should all be part of checking your heart.

when i read the article "Most of the following symptoms of Roemheld syndrome seem to occur after eating, especially a large meal." I think this is not what you have.

How much to eat:

• for adrenal fatigue go check your cortisol.

how is your blood pressure and heart rate? should all be part of checking your heart.

when i read the article "Most of the following symptoms of Roemheld syndrome seem to occur after eating, especially a large meal." I think this is not what you have.

Daniel my cardio markers like blood pressure and heart rate are normal. The first day when I went to the ER bp was high and heart rate low but now all normal. 

Yes I could do a  saliva test. My Dr checked me for cortisol with her muscle testing technique and said Im sensitive to cortisol which means theres something there..