One Month On The Bulletproof Diet And Got Surprising Lab Results

Hi Group, 

So glad to know these forums are here!  I started on bulletproof on 08/28/2016 and have already lost 9 pounds.  I'm pleased with the results, and can feel the difference in inflammation.  I'm a 53 year old female and got my bloodwork back today and was fairly freaked out when my cholesterol was 308. Supposed to be under 200.    Triglicerides, and HDL are normal, but LDL is 236 (supposed to be under 130.  I have read in other places that the cholesterol does sometime elevate and that this is not such a big deal, but it seems pretty high!  My last measurement was about a year and a half ago and was 236.  I do plan on seeing my doctor later this week.  He is a naturopath and is familiar with Dr. David Perlmutter's work since he is local in our community, so he will NOT recommend Statins.  I know this because I switched to him, because I wanted to go off them about 10 years ago or so, and he thought it was a good idea.  

One article I read somewhere else actually recommended stopping the bulletproof coffee, but actually supported the diet.  It also suggested further bloodwork to measure something pretty specific that is expensive and usually isn't in a typical blood work up.  

I'd appreciate any feedback-

Charlene

Tagged:

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Re your previous cholesterol test, was 236 the total cholesterol,

What were the other numbers, so we can compare, ldl, hdl, trigs.

Also, i think that cholesterol, ldl, usually goes up during weight (fat) loss. Which kinda makes sense. Your weight would need to plateau to get a 'stable' cholesterol measure.

fake it till you make it

• Thanks for responding, Daz.  

Here's my results from 04/29/2015:         Here's results from    09/30/2016             

Cholesterol: 234                                      Cholesterol: 308

Triglycerides: 119                                    Triglycerides: 128

HDL Cholesterol: 48                                HDL Cholesterol: 46

LDL Cholesterol Calc 162                        LDL Cholesterol: 236

VLDL Cholesterol Calc 24                        VLDL Cholesterol Calc: 26

Risk Ratio (Chol/HDL 4.9                         Risk Ratio (Chol/HDL): 6.7

Non-HDL Cholesterol 186                        Non-HDL Cholesterol 262

I put in red the numbers that the test considered out of range.  

• Thanks for responding, Daz.  

Here's my results from 04/29/2015:         Here's results from    09/30/2016             

Cholesterol: 234                                      Cholesterol: 308

Triglycerides: 119                                    Triglycerides: 128

HDL Cholesterol: 48                                HDL Cholesterol: 46

LDL Cholesterol Calc 162                        LDL Cholesterol: 236

VLDL Cholesterol Calc 24                        VLDL Cholesterol Calc: 26

Risk Ratio (Chol/HDL 4.9                         Risk Ratio (Chol/HDL): 6.7

Non-HDL Cholesterol 186                        Non-HDL Cholesterol 262

I put in red the numbers that the test considered out of range.  

If your numbers are this bad maybe you should rethink your diet.

Have you gotten your LDL-P, ApoB measured?

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

How are your inflammation markers? 

• Thanks cvictorg, 

I have not had LDL-P or apoB tested.  I go to see my doctor tomorrow, so perhaps we'll do those tests at some point.  

• Walter, 

Actually my inflammation is greatly improved!  I had chronic water retention around the ankles at the end of the day, and it's vastly improved in the last 7 weeks.  I had some mild psoriasis on my arms, which seemed to flare up for a while, and now seems to be decreasing again.  Other than the grass-fed butter, I'd given up all dairy, but had some in coffee a few times, which I think might be the culprit in increasing the psoriasis-  not sure.  Along these lines, I was going to try substituting ghee for the butter to see if that helped-  or I might just keep an eye on it and see if it continues to improve.  

• I had the opposite results, two months in my ldl was way down around 82 and hdl up to 85. However, I also started Niacin 1000mg twice daily which is supposed to normalize the blood lipids. Cholesterol down from 240 to 150. Much less aches/pains and some improvement in energy. All positive so far.

• JistbugJistbug ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Try consuming more in mct oil and butter and eating less/no sugar (including fruit). It is very difficult to tell what exactly the cause of these unusual cholesterol numbers are if you are following the Bulletproof diet or something close to it. Weight loss could be the confounding factor. Calculated cholesterol tends to be an accurate, get a particle count test to be sure

• I just this week received tests back that I dropped 70 points in total cholesterol and wanted to share how. I run about 200 total cholesterol normally (ie pre BP diet). In July I was 192. Initially on BP diet I spiked to 240, then back down to 200. I'm on the BP diet for about 15 months at this point. In November (last month) I spiked to 240 again. HDL was 52, LDL was 167, TG 112. I sort of freaked out and was at a crossroads about BP diet because of it. I tried a 30 day experiment. Regular BP diet, BPC etc, except no pork, limited red meat, no alcohol, TONs of fiber (PGX, FiberRich+ crackers (wheat, not BP, I know), Psyllium Husk, etc, black/blue berries every night) and as much Vital Choice fish as possible (Mackerel, Sockeye, Sardines). I probably had fish 3 times a day for 28 of the days of the month. As a side note, I dropped 5 pounds. The only other thing I did that was different was taking Berberine (500mgs), which I read could help Cholesterol and I ate a garlic clove twice a day. I admit that this isn't a controlled experiment with one variable at a time, but I again, I kind of freaked out.

My Total Cholesterol is now 171, HDL dropped to 47 (which I'm not happy about of course), LDL to 106, and TG to 86. As another side note, my Testosterone went up about 50 points, Liver and Iron stats are normal, and inflammation was 0.5 (slightly up from 0.3 in Nov). My only point of writing this is that I adjusted my BP diet and at least statistically there was a massive change. True that I didn't test LDL particle size (just had that checked yesterday, no results yet) and I know total cholesterol isn't the main issue anymore, but in case you wanted to try something....Hope this is somewhat helpful. This is my first posting ever and I felt compelled to write this down.