Productivity + Motivation & Mood Boosting Supplements?

cortextcortext ✭✭
edited October 2016 in Cognitive Performance

I follow a bulletproof diet with regular exercise, BP Coffee + Brain Octane oil, mindfulness meditation... the whole 9yrds.  I feel great, but I'm still looking for that extra 1-10% edge that will get me to the next level to really dominate in my field.

I'd like to try to find a supplement that might help to enhance my productivity (software development & marketing) and mood (eagerness & motivation to "crush it"), ideally with a better verbal capacity for communication and writing.  As a bonus, I'm also interested in cardiovascular health.

Modafinil sounds intriguing, but there's no way my doc would sign off on that... and it doesn't seem particularly cardioprotective.  These are the supplements / stacks that have caught my attention -- would any of these potentially fit my needs more than the others?

A: Mr. Happy Stack (Uridine, Fish Oil, Alpha-GPC or CDP-Choline)

B: St. John's Wort, Gingko Biloba

C: Aniracetam, Phenylpiracetam (2-3d/wk), CDP-Choline

D: Agmatine

E: L-Tyrosine (or NALT?)

F:  One of these?

•   Kimera Koffee (Alpha GPC + Taurine + L-Theanine + DMAE)
  •   CILTEP (Artichoke, Forskohlii, Phenylalanine, ALCAR)
  •   Dopamine Brain Food (L-Tyrosine, L-Phenylalanine, B6, B9, B12, Vitamin C, TMG, Selenium)
  •   Serotonin Brain Food (L-Tryptophan, B3, Magnesium, Zinc, Rhodiola)
  •   Live Cortex (Uridine, CDP Choline, Artichoke, Bacopa)
  •   Alpha Brain (Bacopa, Cat's Claw, Huperzine A, Oat Straw, Tyrosine, Theanine, Phosphatidylserine)
  •   Nexus (Aniracetam, CDP Choline, Phosphatidylserine, Pycnogenol) + Mitogen (ALA, Sulbutiamine, Idebenone, BioPQQ)
  •   OptiMind (Bacopa, Phosphatidylserine, Vinpocetine)
  •   TruBrain (Piracetam, Oxiracetam, Uridine, NALT, Centrophenoxine, Theanine, Caffeine)
  •   Rise (Bacopa, Rhodiola, Alpha-GPC)
  •   Lumonol (Phosphatidylserine, ALCAR, L-Tyrosine, Noopept, Ginseng, Hordenine, Guarana, Gingko, Alpha-GPC)
  •   F1 (Aniracetam, Noopept, Phenylpiracetam, DMAE)
  •   Nootroo Gold (Noopept, CDP-Choline, Theanine, "PurEnergy" - Chromadex's Pterostilbene x Caffeine supplement)
  •   Nootroo Silver (Phenylpiracetam, CDP-Choline, Theanine, "PurEnergy" - Chromadex's Pterostilbene x Caffeine supplement)
  •   MLP (CDP Choline, Phosphatidylserine, Bacopa, Lion’s Mane, Pterostilbene, NALT, L-Theanine, Rhodiola, Vinpocetine, B6, B12)
  •   SmartX (Huperzine A, Vinpocetine, Phosphatidylserine, Bacopa, Schisandrin A, L-Tyrosine, CDP-Choline, Glucuronolactone, DHA, Caffeine, Theanine, L-Glutamine, B-Complex)
  •   Cabello (NALT, Piracetam, Alpha-GPC, Noopept, Pramiracetam, Oxiracetam, Magnesium)

•   Super Male Vitality (Tribulus terrestris, Suma, Ashwaganda, Maca, Avena sativa, Tongkat ali, Catuaba, Muira puama, Fulvic acid)

•   TianChi (D-Ribose, L-Tyrosine, DMAE, DMG, Taurine, Glycine, Schizandra, Reishi, Ashwagandha, Rhodiola, Ecklonia Cava, Eleuthero, Epimedium, Cistanches, Gotu Kola, He Huan Hua, Astragalus, Green Tea, Ho Shou Wu, Goji, Anemarrhena, Licorice, Polygala, Clubmoss, Cocoa, Stevia, Acerola, Raspberry)

•   NanoMojo / Mojo 8.5 (Jiaogulan, Himalayan Goji, Acai, Peruvian Maca, American Ginseng, Schisandra Fruit, Asian Licorice Root, Rhodiola Rosea, Astragalus Root, Reishi Mushroom, Catuaba, Guarana, Ashwagandha, Tribulus, Epimedium)

•   etc.

I'm currently supplementing Magnesium, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin K2, Vitamin D3, a B-Complex, Creatine, CoQ10 + PQQ, and Brain Octane Oil daily.  Then, I'm occasionally throwing in Collagen, Whey, ALCAR, and Rhodiola.  What do you guys recommend?

Comments

• This post is almost exactly my current situation. Wanting to try Modafinil, but not willing to risk anything trying to get it. I would love to hear some suggestions from the BP community on how to 1-UP my productivity/alertness/focus/etc.

Thanks!

• cortextcortext ✭✭
    edited October 2016

I gave L-Tyrosine a try -- that did not do the trick. I actually found it to be sort of energy draining. I dropped the Rhodiola and bumped the B-Complex up to HomocysteX Plus (Methyl-B vitamins + TriMethylGlycine) -- this is a B-Complex I can actually feel and lately I'm crushing it (maybe that small Tyrosine bump nudged me in the right direction?)

I might slowly work my way through a few of these options and see how they work. Next on my list is either the Uridine Stack, a St Johns Wort stack, or the racetam + choline combo. I'm not quite sure which way I want to head out first.

• cortextcortext ✭✭
    edited November 2016

I gave Kimera Koffee a try -- Pretty great stuff, actually. I'm just finishing off the bag. I think it's mostly coffee, but there's definitely something special there. Theanine and taurine usually make me feel kind of unfocused and a little sleepy, but I didn't get that at all. Really nice stuff for pre-ground coffee.

In reading about St Johns wort, I read that it messes up glucose tolerance (particularly in the fat tissue), which seems pretty cool for a keto / low-GI low-carb diet, although I'm currently having some good amounts of starches around workouts, so I might hit that one up next time I'm in the HFLC camp. I'm either going with a Racetam + Choline (aGPC or CDP-Choline?), Uridine, or Agmatine stack next.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

@cortext
    try a stand sitting desk. it helps me a lot with keeping at work while sitting at the desk can make me feel tired at some point.

also uv light.

If tyrosine did do bad thinks try tryptophan/5htp. but be careful with 5htp

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• cortextcortext ✭✭
    edited November 2016

We're on the same page... although, I'm usually seated in front of my standing desk, haha. When I first got it, I had timers set so I'd never sit for more than 30m and I was doing a 30-45m walk in the morning and a 30-45m walk in the afternoon, then throwing in small 15 rep sets of calisthenics throughout the day. One thing I noticed is doing this dramatically ramped up my caloric intake, but it was kind of distracting and actually a little draining.

I'll have to experiment with more standing... but I do seem much more productive when I'm seated and comfortable. Standing is cool if I'm watching a video or talking to someone.

Instrumental music in my headphones has a pretty dramatic effect on my focus / productivity. I throw this kind of stuff on, take a sip from my morning coffee, open up the blinds, and I'm ready to GSD.

I feel like tryptophan might be a step in the wrong direction. I'm usually looking for more energy + focus where that seems like something better suited for chilling / sleeping -- I've read of potential cardiovascular & aging concerns with 5HT / tryptophan. I wouldn't mind something that might have effects on serotonin receptors (eg. adaptogens.)

everyone is different. tryptophan is being used for boosting mood. being calm and focussed is what I prefer over being excited for work. My Doc said he had patients how felt an energy increase from 5htp. I did too. So don't trust your feeling but do some testing and share your results. ;)

But what do you mean by potential aging effects? Tryptophan is an essential amino acid so your body needs it. However you can overdose on 5htp!

The reason why I encourage you to check into that is because tyrosine had an effect and usually you take tyrosine and tryptophan/5htp in order to not overdose one of them. So my simple idea was if tyrosine alone is making you feel worse try the other one... You can go an do some neurotransmitter testing and methylation testing instead of guessing and see what that does.

I for example can't sit still for several hours. Oftentimes I feel like being trapped in a cage after some time and in the afternoon my energy tends to go down especially after meals. Smaller meals, timing those meal, HCL, standing and and bright blue and UV light are what helped me. Music and coffee is also what I do in the morning. But more like Epic Music when I do fantasy art and Dubstep when I have to create spaceships and such....

UV light in the morning is best. And I have a small UV lamp at my desk as well. :)

I won't get a prescription for Nootropics either. So I can't say anything about that. For me choline and stuff didn't do anything but I have a nutrient dense diet. With mushrooms I did not want to mess around yet cause that can go wrong and it's a huge field of study that I haven't looked into too deeply. But yea either you do some lab testing or you go experiment on yourself and see if it does something.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• cortextcortext ✭✭
    edited November 2016

When reading about 5HTP or boosting serotonin, I often come across concerns of heart valve damage.

This page has some interesting references and conclusions (although maybe it's not the most credible source?):
    http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/tryptophan-serotonin-aging.shtml

I've done the methylation testing by DNA SNPs (mostly all red and yellow), what sort of neurotransmitter testing can I do?

I quote "I think these facts imply that excessive tryptophan,...." and this is especially with 5HTP. So I say you are reading it wrong. Too much bad but sufficient good. I for example had way too low Tryptophan when I got tested which made sense because after checking my methylation SNPs I went to an actual geneticist and we made some more tests which led me to testing for it. Yellow and red stuff does not always mean bad things! Just means you are a mutant. ;P I would be more worried about the actual imbalances and do some testing instead of being scared of dying of old age from eating tryptophan... I did not read everything and I did not see much about what

You must also note that amino acids in food does not equal amino acids in the brain. Your gut bugs like eating tryptophan for example....

Well I did some lab tests with my doc who gave me a coupon for it. Basically spit and urine test. I made a 24hr urine sample test. Unfortunately it is not really that great for a test but picking your brain for tryptophan samples is something I am not ready for yet. Picking your spine would be possible but I hated that also and they did not test for tryptophan. ^^

I guess that is also why one shouls always balance supllementing 5htp with tyrosine.... Just take tryptophan fasted on an empty stomach in the morning. and see if something happens. I highly doubt that you get a heart attack. When I did it it made me feel good.... until it didn't anymore and then I stopped. :smile:

@cortext said:
    When reading about 5HTP or boosting serotonin, I often come across concerns of heart valve damage.

This page has some interesting references and conclusions (although maybe it's not the most credible source?):
    http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/tryptophan-serotonin-aging.shtml

I've done the methylation testing by DNA SNPs (mostly all red and yellow), what sort of neurotransmitter testing can I do?

I quote

How much to eat:

• I'm going to try giving Aniractam and Phenylpiracetam a spin, first without choline, then later with CDP or aGPC if it seems like these might be necessary. Further down the road, I might reinvestigate tryptophan (maybe as a sleep/dream-enhancing stack?)

Maybe. Try and see what happens. It's the stuff you find in cheese and turkey so not much to worry about in the beginning. To me it felt like a light switch turned on. A bit like when I started taking iodine. 5HTp is the one that is what you can overdose and then you have to balance it with tyrosine. You can take tyrosine in the morning and 5htp/tryp in the evening. It did not make me tired though. Have some 5htp left. Don't feel anything from it. Some docs say you have to take lots of it and take it for a while etc etc. If you are still scared about tryptophan go to a functional medicine doc who is into genetics and talk to them about your SNPs and that you would like to further investigate and that so on. When I talk politely and tell them what is going on doctors listen to me and try to help even if they don't believe it and that's when exciting things happen.

How much to eat:

• I've tried just about all of those stacks, I too look for motivation.

The specific ingredients from those stacks that really help me with motivation
    1. Uridine 300mg : this one is new to me in the past week. Really impressed ( I do take fish oil)
    2. Vinpocetine 10 to 20mg...you will know it when you take too much. Go from motivated to angry
    3. ALCAR: great at first, too much for the body leads to depressive thoughts
    4. I'm a bit too choline sensitive these days for Alpha GPC, however this is good too.
    5. Adarfanil, Phenyl Piracitam capsules, noopept all on occasion, (1 a week or less)
    6. Lion'smain 0.5 tsp in bulletproof coffee (use Real Mushrooms - brand)
    5. And I would agree with a standing desk for most tasks. For whatever reason it keeps me from distractions (phone, facebook, etc)

• cortextcortext ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I'm going to have to re-investigate standing at my desk. Here I am, sitting in front of a standing desk. Perhaps more work could be done in the meditation / brain-training department.

I recently tried aniracetam and phenylpiracetam. I'm not impressed with ani (no real increase in motivation, just slightly foggy), but phenyl is a subtle boost in the right direction (and quite ergogenic.) Although, long-term phenylpiracetam supplementation doesn't seem like the best solution. For now, I think it makes sense to just get my choline from free-range eggs, although I really like the Kimera Koffee blend.

I recently invested in the Legion Athletics "Triumph" stack -- I'm curious to see what this might do for me. It's basically just a multi, with a pinch of adaptogens. My vitamin + mineral + supplement stack was getting pretty big, so I'm going to try to simply things with just this one super multi for a while.

I have read a few concerning things about Uridine -- namely, it might increase non-alcoholic fatty liver deposits, worsen glucose & carb tolerance and reduce insulin sensitivity, and it might have some pro-carcinogenic properties. The Souvenaid stack looks pretty ideal. TruBrain's Boost comes close, but I hate the added high-fructose syrup.

I've been trying a diet that moves carbs to the end of the day, as sort of a "veg til night" regimen. This seems to prevent any carb-related blood sugar dips during the day (with a bit of extra catecholamines) while still keeping leptin / thyroid hormones up, sleep solid, and glycogen in the tank. Occasionally, I'll dip into ketosis doing this depending on exercise + PWO dinner carbs. I think this is recommended in the BP Diet book?

• @DMan said:
    everyone is different. tryptophan is being used for boosting mood. being calm and focussed is what I prefer over being excited for work. My Doc said he had patients how felt an energy increase from 5htp. I did too. So don't trust your feeling but do some testing and share your results. ;)

But what do you mean by potential aging effects? Tryptophan is an essential amino acid so your body needs it. However you can overdose on 5htp!

The reason why I encourage you to check into that is because tyrosine had an effect and usually you take tyrosine and tryptophan/5htp in order to not overdose one of them. So my simple idea was if tyrosine alone is making you feel worse try the other one... You can go an do some neurotransmitter testing and methylation testing instead of guessing and see what that does.

I for example can't sit still for several hours. Oftentimes I feel like being trapped in a cage after some time and in the afternoon my energy tends to go down especially after meals. Smaller meals, timing those meal, HCL, standing and and bright blue and UV light are what helped me. Music and coffee is also what I do in the morning. But more like Epic Music when I do fantasy art and Dubstep when I have to create spaceships and such....

UV light in the morning is best. And I have a small UV lamp at my desk as well. :)

I won't get a prescription for Nootropics either. So I can't say anything about that. For me choline and stuff didn't do anything but I have a nutrient dense diet. With mushrooms I did not want to mess around yet cause that can go wrong and it's a huge field of study that I haven't looked into too deeply. But yea either you do some lab testing or you go experiment on yourself and see if it does something.

@DMan said:

@DMan said:

@DMan said:

@DMan said:

@cortext said:
    I'm going to try giving Aniractam and Phenylpiracetam a spin, first without choline, then later with CDP or aGPC if it seems like these might be necessary. Further down the road, I might reinvestigate tryptophan (maybe as a sleep/dream-enhancing stack?)

@cortext said:
    I'm going to try giving Aniractam and Phenylpiracetam a spin, first without choline, then later with CDP or aGPC if it seems like these might be necessary. Further down the road, I might reinvestigate tryptophan (maybe as a sleep/dream-enhancing stack?)

@cortext said:

@cortext said:

• "I for example can't sit still for several hours. Oftentimes I feel like being trapped in a cage after some time and in the afternoon my energy tends to go down especially after meals. Smaller meals, timing those meal, HCL, standing and and bright blue and UV light are what helped me. Music and coffee is also what I do in the morning. But more like Epic Music when I do fantasy art and Dubstep when I have to create spaceships and such"....@DMan. You got me on this one. As a singer, artist & writer who's passion is music. Being in that zone, feeling that euphoria & being able to project it on page, art & sound is what we live for. It's a great accomplishment & makes us wanna do more. These days, with all of these meds to channel ADHD, manic depression, bipolar disorder & brain imbalance. It's hard to even feel anything remotely close to the person you were before this hit. It's like you still love listening to music but feels like your listening but not feeling it through the pores of your soul. To be completely taking by it's symmetry. These days, I'm trying what ever works. I've been from Latuda (which mamages my major & manic out burst of depression. But that's it. It middles me) also Wellbutrin (which is suppose to be like Aniracetam as far as mood pick me up, but the generic doesn't seem to work after 5 months of being told to be patient) and Adderall for drive, motivation & energy,(but after a while you question is this good long term, will this hurt me, or I'm building a tolerance). Honestly none of this mental illness really goes away, but can be handled the right way for the long term. Honestly I respect all of your guys testimonies because you are trying & not quoting. God bless y'all. Nootropics is new to me, but so far with some of what I tried I'm just as interested to keep going. I can't wait till I get that "Feeling like my self" back as well as my feel for my passion. Keep it coming yall

• cortextcortext ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I'm almost through the Legion Athletics "Triumph" stack -- this seems counter-productive now that I'm further into it. I think the adaptogens are just too "chill" for the place I'm trying to get to. I also dialed back my B-Complex stack (HomocysteX+) for just a b12+b9 combo... also counter productive. And, I've been adding in theanine with my caffeine habit... counter productive.

I'm going to have to reformulate and start again. I'm planning on dropping the theanine except for days when I'm just obviously over-caffeinated and sleep seems to be negatively effected, not re-purchasing the triumph stack, and after I finish my b12+b9 combo, I'm going to ramp back up to HomocysteX. While the HomocysteX+ had some definite irritability to it, there was some magic there. After HomocysteX, I'm ramping back up to HomocysteX+.

I've been experimenting with 500-1,000mg of Agmatine Sulfate pre-workout... this doesn't seem to do anything except dramatically increase hunger. It might increase the gym pump, but not as much as simply eating a pre-workout carb. I might try it more in the morning with coffee, but it's not particularly interesting.

Next on my list is DHA + sublingual Uridine. Currently, I'm ramping back up into full ketosis at 30g net carbs/d the past 3 days and ditching the refeeds except for when I'm just obviously fried / adrenal fatigued.

So far, I haven't been impressed by anything on my list except the Kimera Koffee, HomocysteX+, and Rhodiola. I was looking at St. John's Wort, but there's a little bit of an eye-health concern. Gingko and Ginseng also look interesting.