my brain regimen and request for additional help

edited October 2016 in Brain Hacking

Hello guys, I want to start this post by giving a brief background on my history and my current regiment and I want to close off by asking for any possible help or ideas on what I can improve.

Currently my problem is that I am having anomic aphasia (word finding difficulties). For example, I can see somebody everyday but for some reason I will blank on their name. Another example would be when I am discussing a subject that I am very fluent in and I am unable to recall a descriptive word. I also have some mild brain fog on certain days and make silly mistakes. I first noticed this issue around 20 years old and it has been getting worse ever since (I am now in my mid 20's). With all of the alterations I will describe below, I have been able to abate this issue, however, I feel like I am just staving it off but I am still losing ground. I currently work as an RN and am going to school part-time attempting to finish pre-requisite classes for medical school.

Possible causes: I have experienced a lot of head trauma over my life time. I had several head injuries when I was <8 y.o. from falls. In my teens I had several head injuries from fights. In college I believe I sustained several concussion from boxing and mma. Also, I had very poor sleep and eating patterns throughout much of my life (although I still maintained a low body fat from genetics). My genotype is apoe3/apoe2, so I know my neurons are not highly susceptible to damage. Also, I am heterozygous for 1 MTHFR mutation therefore all of my references to b12 and folate are to the methylated versions.

My current regiment includes several approaches from attempting to improve sleep, supplements, diet, and exercise.

Dietwise: I intermittent fast 3-4/week for ~16 hours. I have bulletproof coffee every morning with matcha and raw organic cocoa powder mixed in (not the best tasting option). I eat a very low carbohydrate diet, lots of veggies, healthy fats (fish oil, krill, grassfed butter, brain octane), and I maintain my ketones around 1.5-3.0 mmol for 3-6 days of the week. I tend to come out of ketosis on sundays and go heavier on carbs. I also attempt to eat fermented foods like kim chi and natto several times/week. I attempt to consume 5-10 grams of collagen and a mixture of different prebiotics before bed.

Supplementwise- I break up my supplementation into 3 packets composed of supplements for different times of the day.
Morning:
Fish Oil
Folate
B12
Vitamin K
Vitamin D
Magnesium
Chromium
Green Tea
Turmeric
Lithium Orotate
Berberine
CoQ10
Phosphatidyl Serine
Centrophenoxine
Vinpocetine
Rhodiola
Ashwagandha
Bacopa
Gotu Kola

Noon:
Berberine
Fish Oil
Spirulina
Centrophenoxine
Bacopa
Gotu Kola
Rhodiola

Night:
Krill Oil
Berberine
Magnesium
Zinc
B-Complex
Vitamin C
Krill Oil
Acetyl L-carnitine
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Resveratrol
Phosphatidyl Serine
Centrophenoxine
Vinpocetine
Ashwagandha
Gotu Kola
Taurine

Exercises and Behavior:
I sleep between 6.5-8 hours/night going to bed roughly the same time and waking roughly the same time. I use a sleep induction mat most nights and I use a sleep mask.

In terms of exercise I do BJJ roughly 4 times/ week. I run for 20 minutes for roughly 2-3 times/week. I do 1 day of sprinting/ week.

In terms of brain exercises I meditate 3-6 days/ week for 10 minutes/session. I do heart math 3-6 days/ week. I play 10 rounds of dual-n-back 3-6/days week. I play luminosity almost every day. I do inversion table for roughly 5-10 minutes for 5-6 days/week. I use intranasal LLLT every single days, 1-2 times/day. The unit I use is called a vielight 810. I have only started the intranasal light therapy only recently so I don't know if I would be noticing a difference this quickly.

The issue: Although a lot of my interventions have helped somewhat, I feel like I am still fighting a losing battle. There are days when it is worse than others. I am concerned I will develop Alzheimers disease at an early age and die like my grandma. Can anyone offer any suggestions please? I am willing to try just about anything.

Thanks for taking the time to read and offer any suggestions/ ideas!

Comments

• Try Piracetam and Choline.

• I actually left aniracetam off of the list. Would piracetam be synergistic with the aniracetam or overkill? Do you think I need a choline source on top of the centrophenoxine twice a day? Also left convection sauna for 30min/week out.

• If you get headaches with racetams then add choline. I find that if I mix several kinds of racetams I get a synergistic effect. Piracetam is the basic one. I take aniracetam, piracetam, oxiracetam, phenylpiracetam, and noopept they seem to work together well for me. I take them separately or all together.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

This herb is a new one to me that you may not have come across...& may be worth looking into;
    https://examine.com/supplements/gynostemma-pentaphyllum
    < It does mention 'brain' a few times.

I first saw it mentioned here;
    https://selfhacked.com/2015/06/27/a-comprehensive-list-of-natural-ways-to-increase-bdnf

fake it till you make it

For future search purposes...
    I'll leave a few names for the herb i linked above here...
    Gynostemma.
    Jiaogulan.
    Southern Ginseng.

fake it till you make it

• edited October 2016

Ginseng to me is always confusing because there are so many different names/types. I've used panax ginseng before and felt a decrease cognitively. Have you tried any of them and had success? I'm also curious about whether a micropulse device could provide benefit?

edited October 2016

Never used panax ginseng.
    But have used Withania (Indian Ginseng, Ashwagandha). But was trying for it's purported adaptogenic properties.
    Bur reading about it again now, I see the leaf extract may have influence on the brain ? ( I was using root extract ).
    https://examine.com/supplements/ashwagandha/

The mention of BDNF (a neurological growth factor) with Gynostemma/Jiaogulan (& now with Withania leaf extract) piqued my attention, because I was reading that BDNF may be low in insomniacs.
    http://thesavvyinsomniac.com/is-low-bdnf-a-marker-of-insomnia/

fake it till you make it

edited October 2016

On the subject of BDNF, looks like Gotu Kola may be another herb of interest ( which I see you already take @BJJaficionado )
    https://examine.com/supplements/centella-asiatica/

fake it till you make it

• Both ashwagandha and gotu kola are currently in my stack. I have tried to modafinil before but can't seem to find a consistent source of it. I have used precursors of it but stopped when I learned they are hepatotoxic.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

the replicated the positive effects and reversed memory loss and actual brain degeneration with this: http://biomedgerontology.oxfordjournals.org/content/60/3/275/T1.expansion.html

why do you think it is getting worse? are you stressing your body and mind with something? allergic to food? anxiety? bad relationships?

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• I think my neurodegeneration is the result of past brain trauma that is catching up with me. I am unlikely to beeating any allergenic food as far as I know. I do experience a great deal of stress and anxiety though, but less so than before.

then I encourage you to do heart math or some other type of meditation. then there are some memory techniques. for names use images. that you associate with that person. stuff like dual n back training will help with working memory. but for sure work on your coherence, gratitude, mindfulness, forgiveness...and exercise, socialize. Brain trauma can take quite some time. go outside into the forest sometimes. look out for the nutrients in you foods. fasting is good sometimes but eating enough nutrients is important too. I know it's all general info but that is all I can do in a forum post...

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• What would be the protocol for heart math? I do about 10-20 min/day 3-4 days/week. Is this enough? I also do it via the device, not on the computer, is this inferior quality?

it's fine

How much to eat:

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭

This is an old(ish) thread, but...

You might want to try supplementing with more DHA, via increasing your krill oil dose for a few days, see if that helps.

For TBI (traumatic brain injury) in general, you can try ICES/PEMF or LLLT/infrared - neither is well researched, but I've seen a lot of positive anecdotal feedback. I'm curious if you've seen any benefit from the VieLight 810. I believe their less expensive VieLight 633 should be more helpful for healing from TBI, though that's just a guess.

Asprey did a podcast recently with JJ Virgin where he discussed what he did to overcome TBI - some interesting stuff... lots of PQQ (Unfair Advantage), OAA (KetoPrime)... and JJ pushed pretty hard on the idea of lots of fish oil for brain health and healing.

Niacin can help open capillaries, which may improve blood flow through the brain.

Try skipping your ALA for a few days, see if you notice any change. It's a weak oxidizer and may be cancelling out / being cancelled out by some of the other stuff you're taking. ALA is a weak oxidizer that triggers the nrf2/glutathione system, the body responds with a much stronger antioxidant response --> net antioxidant effect.

You might actually benefit from pulsing your supplements in general (5 days on, then 2 days off; or 10 on, 4 off). The polyphenols in particular, but almost everything could be pulsed to see if you get better benefits. You could pulse each one individually to see what kind of benefits or rebound effect you get from re-introducing them.

See if your blood pressure is ok or within normal ranges. If not, could be something related to that.

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭

Doh! Got the VieLight's backwards. The 810 is supposed to be the better one for neuro activity. Not sure that is clearly researched or not... but that's at least the party line.

Do you notice any benefit from the VieLight? I'm wondering if one could shine any old LLLT light up your nose for similar effect...

• @jcg3 said:
    Doh! Got the VieLight's backwards. The 810 is supposed to be the better one for neuro activity. Not sure that is clearly researched or not... but that's at least the party line.

Do you notice any benefit from the VieLight? I'm wondering if one could shine any old LLLT light up your nose for similar effect...

Hey, I believe I do notice benefit from the Vielight in terms of my performance on brain training games. I tend to perform better around the periods when I am doing it twice daily as opposed to sporadically. Do you believe that purchasing ICES/PEMF is worth the money? The cheapest unit I have found is >$400.

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭
    edited May 17

ICES/PEMF - whether or not it is worth the money depends on what you need it for and how much money you have. :smile:

Moving beyond the philosophical - you can get a $50 discount off the retail price, just look for a discount code online. That should be the price down below $400 (but add back on shipping and sales tax... might get back up near $400).

There is some research on it's use for TBI specifically - this study was about how to measure improvement post-TBI, but the treatment they were using was ICES/PEMF for 2 hours a day (with the coils positioned on the temples) on patients who had suffered a TBI. They did that every day for 3 months, and there was quite an improvement.

https://downloads.corticalmetrics.com/pub/corticalmetrics_magazine_issue_1.pdf

I think it's a great device - I think it definitely can help with TBI-like issues... though it seems like there are several different things that help in different ways. If you've gotten benefit from your VieLight but don't feel like you're back at 100%, I think it would be worth trying.