Terrible mold in my dorm room - what do I do?
I moved into a university dorm room a few weeks ago and am certain that there is terrible mold in it. The rooms are randomly assigned and (as is typical of my luck) I am in the oldest building which is in appalling condition. The showers are badly designed so that literally all the water leaks out and is absorbed by the hall carpet. Mold is visible on ceilings and walls, and I suspect that under the carpets must be thick with it. The fridge also leaks badly. We have no access to laundry facilities, meaning washing gets hung up to dry. Overall, the place is very damp.
Since moving in, I have been experiencing headaches, tingling in my jaw, night sweats, brain fog, nausea, concentration issues and insomnia. My breathing is very labored and I have been ill the whole time. My housemates all have been complaining of fatigue, poor sleep, coughing fits and breathing issues. I feel absolutely terrible whenever I am in the building and the difference once I go outside is remarkable. This is especially frustrating considering I am paying £5000 per year for rent - wayyyyyyyy more than it should cost.
Today I contacted the maintenance department asking them to test the air quality, although it is unlikely they will do anything. What should I do? We have put plants with air purifying qualities (such as peace lilies and dragon trees) in most of the rooms and keep as many windows as possible open most of the time. On the plus side, I have quit smoking because I could barely breathe, though it hasn't made much difference.
Please help! Is this serious enough to consider trying to move? Should I spend all my time elsewhere? I am at my wits' end with this issue and am teriffied of lasting damage to my (already very fragile) health.
Thank you so much.