Adderall Views

Im currently in college trying to get through it with decent grades, I did well in high school slept a lot in class but could get away wit it. College is a little different, I have a very clean "green zone" diet but still have concentration issues here and there so I was prescribed a low dose of adderall as needed. It works great but the side effects suck sometimes, especially the next day if I don't take it. Any views or thoughts on adderall? Possible alternatives.. I've tried coffee, nootropics, cutting carbs, lots of coconut oil, fish oil, acetylcholine vitamin supplements, pine pollen, reishi mushroom( you get the idea), but none of that work as well as adderall. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• TJ JTJ J skratta pa klocka
    Addderall definitely throws my sleep and eating patterns off and it just never felt like a solution that was conducive to longevity or vitality. I'm in the same situation except at the present moment I'm not doing detail oriented work so I'm experimenting. My bp diet is all dialed in right now and it makes a big difference. I just started taking creatine for strength and the cognitive boost. I'm still too early with the creatine to say if it's helping with focus though it's an ATP energy and I'm not expecting an obvious boost like with bp coffee, adderall, concerta etc. I have some aniracetum coming in the mail that I've never tried before.

http://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/news/20030813/creatine-may-boost-brain-performance
  • I'm playing around with creatine as well, great for strength and solid muscle mass haven't noticed too much with a cognitive boost. I know adderall probably has some not so favorable effects on the brain, so I guess I'm looking for ways to counterbalance those negative effects with supps. and bank on a better option or "cure" in the upcoming years.

• I remember reading something a while back that suggested Adderal could give you problems/put you at risk for issues later in life. - I don't remember the details, but worth researching.

• Im currently in college trying to get through it with decent grades, I did well in high school slept a lot in class but could get away wit it. College is a little different, I have a very clean "green zone" diet but still have concentration issues here and there so I was prescribed a low dose of adderall as needed. It works great but the side effects suck sometimes, especially the next day if I don't take it. Any views or thoughts on adderall? Possible alternatives.. I've tried coffee, nootropics, cutting carbs, lots of coconut oil, fish oil, acetylcholine vitamin supplements, pine pollen, reishi mushroom( you get the idea), but none of that work as well as adderall. Thanks for any advice.

i realize this is an old topic, so don't know if there gonna be replies to my post so here goes.  i 'm a long term coffee drinker and i get withdrawal symptoms from not having it and that feel lousy.  but i'm been searching for a good coffee brand to replace a super powerful one that no longer seem to exist. if i get fed up with the search, i might consider adderall, i 'm not sure yet. i miss feeling mentally charge up.  that powerful coffee made me feel like a super computer on high euphoria for years until the brand went bad so i was forced to switch off it.

• romansbromansb BulletResistant

I'm playing around with creatine as well, great for strength and solid muscle mass haven't noticed too much with a cognitive boost. I know adderall probably has some not so favorable effects on the brain, so I guess I'm looking for ways to counterbalance those negative effects with supps. and bank on a better option or "cure" in the upcoming years.

The upcoming years are here, sadly no cyborg brains yet. You may very well be done with college by now, but I'll answer this for anyone else that comes across it.

Adderall can work great, and the side effects can be debilitating if not managed properly. If you're getting prescribed Adderall most definitely ask for a prescription of Modafinil (commonly called Provigil). Side effects are that it can interfere with sleep and some people experience headaches, compared to Adderall though it's nothing. You won't necessarily feel euphoric, but the ability to focus will become extremely easy.

Where I post my research:
    buildingabetterhuman.com

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci

• I have to agree the side effects of addreall are bad. The major one is your liver.. Now if you take modafinil that's much better and it's strong and safer then adderall. 100mg  a day works for most people and other a little more. 

Hopefully your college stuff went well.

• I'm just going to post in here as if OP has moved on with his life, and talk about adderall in general.

Adderall has all the downsides that have been mentioned, but I still use it from time to time.  Prescribed.  It lights more of a fire under my ass than provigil, which can be awesome if there's really sucky, boring things that must be done.  I've noticed that if I haven't been physically active yet and take it, I can be scatter brained and very easily distracted.  Like I'll clean my toaster for 2 hours instead of filling out my tax form.  Ok not exactly, but kind of.

If I've worked out, and am thus more relaxed, it's easier to focus on adderall, but the burn time is relatively short.  And it seems to stimulate my whole nervous system, like I'd want to get up and be productive in a physical labor way, clean the house, work with my hands, etc.  With provigil, it seems to be all cerebral.  And cleaner, and much longer, less intense, but in a good way.  

I avoid it if I can nowadays, preferring provigil, but back in the day, I had a pretty good routine.   Adderall in the morning, light exercise, maybe even just a walk to get body circulating, then productivity.  Then intense exercise, sweat central.  I kind of found that almost totally eliminated a come down.  I mean, I came down, but was super relaxed, no serotonin/dopamine exhaustion, or maybe endorphins just took over.  Not really sure all the science, but worked well for me.

Body Type:  Ectomorph

Current Weight:  175lbs/80kg

Current Diet: Mix between Bulletproof (good fats) and Paleo.   Mostly gluten free, still eat carbs. I feel my body needs them. 

Current workout:

Aerobic: 5 times a week- 20-30 minute interval training (Insanity, Trail Running, Interval stationary bike, etc.)

Strength:  5 X 5 Strong lifts, but one group of muscles a day, 2 days rest.

Example: Monday:  1 set Squats  Tuesday: 1 set Rows  

• I used it a couple of times, still even have a few tabs left somewhere.

Not something I would take on a regular basis, man that stuff was powerful. Felt that it was gluing my brain together(in a thoroughly unhealthy way). I could possibly take it if I had to reference a Thesis or something, it would be ideal, 12 hours of tedium made interesting. I take modafinil twice a week for the last 3 months, still mindful of long term effects.  Nothing inherently wrong with Aderall of course, just up to the individual to make a risk/reward analysis. But taking it daily is suicide. 

I think people should be looking for something that boosts both Alpha and Beta brainwaves together. Aderall can make tedious things interesting, but the more relaxed states which i would associate with Alpha waves are more conductive to creativity, problem solving and big picture thinking as opposed to merely being interested in what happens to be on your immediate to do list. 

• Of course drinking coffee and eating a clean diet don't provide the same mental stimulation that legalized meth does, but that doesn't give you the greenlight to take it. It is scientifically proven that nothing, not even sex, produces more dopamine (feel good hormones) than heroin does; that doesn't mean that I should start shooting myself up with that stuff. 

Also, shame on students and writers who take adderall to gain a competitive edge; they're no different from athletes who take steroids. You were lazy in HS, which is why you find the transition to college so difficult.

You my friend must be smartest person in this forum. Not only do you give outlandish examples but you also publicly shame people too! Did we go to the same high school or is this an old teacher of mine? Im not really quite sure how you would come to the conclusion that I was lazy in high school or HS as you put it. 

I also think it's a little bit of stretch to compare professional athletes taking performance enhancing drugs to students and writers taking adderall. Be aware I did post this two years ago. 

Thank you to the people who had something relevant to say. Real quick Joplin, maybe don't criticize people who you don't know? Good place to start in life right? Would you say that to someones face right when you meet them? 

• edited June 2015

A little update. I graduated with a bachelors degree while working 30-40 hours a week, moved to colorado the week after graduation and got a full-time marketing job two days later. Wouldn't neccisarily classify that as "lazy".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file