Sterilization men vs women

My husband and I both follow the bp diet and feel pretty awesome on it. Neither of us wants children and I have been on the pill for longer than I even want to think. Looking at alternative options sterilization seems to be the most obvious for us - neither have any problems about undergoing minor surgery, however we need to weigh up the impact and consequences of this on whoever goes for the treatment - bearing in mind that my husband has an autoimmune disease, ITP, which is well under control but nonetheless still something that we need to be fully realistic about.

Looking into male sterilization it appears that after vasectomy, approximately 60-70% of men develop a form of allergy to their sperm in the form of antisperm antibodies. The body, either during the vasectomy or after, is exposed to sperm proteins that it commonly does not see and antibodies against these proteins . This process may cause the immune system to produce antibodies to the sperm.
We need to properly Understand how this effects the body from a bp perspective and especially consider the consequences given my husbands underlying autoimmune disease - ITP - which although now under control we don't want to then have this triggered (ITP is where the body makes platelets but then the body attacks them - an immune response)

Looking at female sterilization I understand that a small incision is made and the fallopian tubes clamped with small plastic or titanium clips. There are reports from this procedure of post tubal ligation syndrome - inflammation caused by foreign object clips, abdominal and back pain, low grade infection, memory loss, headaches, heavy periods.

So I want to try to get a bp perspective on both of these sterilization options for men vs women. What is the real impact of these procedures and in our position who is best placed for this procedure.

My feeling is that one of these options must be better than taking the contraceptive pill and the risks associated with that.

An informed view on this would be greatly welcomed as my husband is booked in for the procedure on he 16th December! Many thanks to you all in advance for your help.

Tagged:

Comments

• This response may be too late if your husband has already had the procedure.
    You can discuss the method of tubal with your doctor.
    Placing and leaving clamps on the tubes is one option that may be preferable if you think you may want to reverse it at some time in the future.
    The other option is a bilateral partial salpingectomy (BPS), which is where a small piece of the tube is actually removed, so the ovaries have no connection to the uterus.
    With this method, no foreign bodies are left in the body, but you keep your ovaries, which is important. But keep in mind that it is almost impossible to reverse.
    Good luck!