Talking to doctor about cholesterol
Quick backround, I'm a 5'5" 150lb 29-year-old female. My doc recently ordered some blood work, mainly to recheck my cholesterol levels (which were already high last time she checked 2 years ago, pre-bulletproof diet likely due to poor eating habits). I got them back and she called wanting to discuss them - I've got my appointment with her on Dec. 5 to discuss. I know what she's going to say, that my levels are high and she'll likely want to do something about it. A little background about this doc... she's older, in her late 60s, and that's pretty much where her mindset has stayed medicine-wise. She has suggested to me on several occasions that I should be a vegetarian, eat soy, consume low-fat dairy. I know what you're thinking... why am I still going to her? Military insurance, so its complicated. Luckily we're moving soon and I'll have a chance to go to someone new! Anyways, I'm wondering how to counter what she suggests... Here are my levels:
Total cholesterol: 290 (Reference range 125-200mg/dL)
HDL cholesterol: 69 ((Reference range > or = 46mg/dL)
Triglycerides: 73 (Reference range <150mg/dL)
LDL cholesterol: 206 (Reference range <130mg/dL) calc
(Here it talks about levels > or = 190mg/dL may indicate familial hypercholesterolemia. I don't think this runs in my family, but still need to ask.)
Chol/HDLC ratio: 4.2 (Reference range < or = 5.0 calc)
non HDL cholesterol: 221 mg/dL (target for non-HDL is 30mg/dL higher than LDL target)
Listening to some of Dave's podcasts on cholesterol, it seems as though even as my LDL is high, my triglycerides are fine and I should only worry about the LDL if I've got inflammation. Does that sound about right? If my doc suggests going on some meds to lower my cholesterol or removing most fat from my diet, what do I say? What evidence and research can I point her to? I know the decision is mine, but I also want to make sure I'm understanding things to the best of my ability.
So, how do these levels look? Do I have anything to worry about? Should I request further tests to see if these levels are indeed dangerous? I only know what's "high" according to Quest Diagnostics, and am looking for further research to indicate what further action to take if any.
Thanks in advance!