Ketogenic diet

bweinbergbweinberg
edited December 2016 in General Discussion

Two months ago I started the Ketogenic diet with my husband to try to improve our cholesterol numbers, and lose a few pounds. I did all my research and found that this diet was the one. I started to have severe diarrhea. My husband was fine. No reaction at all. And he lost 14 lbs. I did some more research and found out that what i was experiencing was malabsorption of fat due primarily to eating a low fat diet for 25 years. I had all the symptoms, which I WILL NOT GO INTO! I consulted my doctor, and at her request I went back on my old low fat diet and everything went back to normal. I did some more research and found that ox bile was suppose to help with this. (I have a gallbladder), After going back on the Keto diet, still It's not working. I am lost as to what to do next. Any ideas? Help

Comments

• Don't eat so much fat?

Get the BP Infographic and try to eat in the green zone.

Not everyone was meant to eat upwards of 100-200g of fat per day. You may have a gallbladder and it could be completely shot, or it could be lazy. I believe healthy fats from olives, avocados, and butter to be important foods. However, maybe not in the quantities necessary for those trying to get most of their daily calories from them.

You could be having diarrhea from malabsorbtion or it could be from not eating enough of what the organisms in your gut need to thrive.

My main recommendation would be to try and focus on what foods work with you and which ones do not.

If you want more people to respond and the quality of the responses to be good, you will need to provide more background information as to your previous diet and current diet.

I hope this helps.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• You have to make a slower transition from low to higher fat.

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• edited December 2016

I'd suggest a plan to nourish the gut microbiome. The bacteria in our digestive tract are massively important for the proper digestion of food. Try taking probiotics, increase the amount of prebiotic fibers such as chicory root, garlic and onions to name a few and include resistant starches such as potato starch. Dark green vegetables will help as well. Your microbiome may be in rough shape based on your years of low fat. You have to nourish the "good" bacteria and starve out the "bad" by removing refined sugars, simple carbs and whole grains and increase your biological diversity through probiotics, prebiotics, and resistant starch. Fiber, like fat, also helps to satisfy hunger as well so if you're currently unable eat fat, it's a good health beneficial alternative.

• shilameershilameer
    edited October 2018

I have seen all this ketogenic diet is the news and all and they say it is meant to be healthy, but a lot of the ketogenic diet routine involves a lot of meat, and a lot of people are eating processed meat and saying it's all healthy and helping them lose weight and all but at what cost? I was reading this article here http://todaybeast.com/741/research-reveals-links-between-processed-meats-and-cancer/
    which suggests that processed meat is linked to higher risks of cancer, and if so then this isn't particularly healthy. I am so surprised that no one is mentioning this. Also how is it that people keep losing weight through this and it is not plateauing.