Dave Asprey looks much older than 43 years old

I've especially noticed his face aging in the last 6 months or so. I can't be the only one who thinks this. It's a little concerning.

Comments

• Your post entrigued me enough to check out the latest Bpr, it's probably been at least a year since I last watched one. I only made through the fun fact and 15 seconds into the commercial.

I think he looks fine, I didn't think he had looked like he had aged. And Dave's not an average guy, that's his whole shtick. He is mold sensitive and has to really watch his diet because of previous health issues...

I find it much more concerning that he still has to explain the difference between xtc and boo?

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• Yeah, I agree, Dave is only 44, but looks 55+.
    He doesn't have as many wrinkles as your average 45-year-old, but just in general, looks older than he is.
    This is disturbing considering that he intends to live over 100, and has "hacked" his body. Makes me wonder if the diet/supplementation will actually make you live less long than average, lol. Maybe you will be healthier, but die earlier? :#

• Everything comes at a cost; if you want to live forever, you don't pressure your body with jobs, hacks, and drugs as he has.
    He is the one that tested many of the hacks we utilise, being a guinea pig comes with risk.
    Most of us by no means, come near the amount of genetically induced diseases, trial and error with regards to food drugs and sports, and the high-performance workload/travelling he endures.

Then there is the factor that I mentioned in another thread, perhaps pumping up your mitochondria makes you age faster in the long-run.
    Tetracyclines might do the opposite, slow fitness in short- and increase fitness in the long-run.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3663447/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4565776/#R17
    I have not done a lot of research on this topic myself, neither have a verified or thoroughly read these sources.

It's well-established that physical demand leads to ageing faster, heavy physical labour, as well as being a man in itself, leads to having a shorter lifespan compared to the opposites of those two.
    I should order Dave's book and see if he mentioned anything like it, except for just promoting high performance.

As some of you argue that he aged in a relatively short period, there is also the possibility that he is suffering from new illness.
    Not to say that we shouldn't be critical though, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5541848/ anyone watched this?

• @Corstiaan said:
    Everything comes at a cost; if you want to live forever, you don't pressure your body with jobs, hacks, and drugs as he has.
    He is the one that tested many of the hacks we utilise, being a guinea pig comes with risk.
    Most of us by no means, come near the amount of genetically induced diseases, trial and error with regards to food drugs and sports, and the high-performance workload/travelling he endures.

Then there is the factor that I mentioned in another thread, perhaps pumping up your mitochondria makes you age faster in the long-run.
    Tetracyclines might do the opposite, slow fitness in short- and increase fitness in the long-run.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3663447/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4565776/#R17
    I have not done a lot of research on this topic myself, neither have a verified or thoroughly read these sources.

It's well-established that physical demand leads to ageing faster, heavy physical labour, as well as being a man in itself, leads to having a shorter lifespan compared to the opposites of those two.
    I should order Dave's book and see if he mentioned anything like it, except for just promoting high performance.

As some of you argue that he aged in a relatively short period, there is also the possibility that he is suffering from new illness.
    Not to say that we shouldn't be critical though, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5541848/ anyone watched this?

Those are great points. He is supposed to be super healthy and looking young, based on his claims and that he is living a really healthy lifestyle. But instead, he is potentially catching serious illnesses, and looking older at the same time.

As far as I know, he is in no way working out a lot, he actually says that he works out like twice a week or so - pretty light, compared to many people exercising almost daily. What you're saying is that going on 30min runs a few times a week will actually lower people's lifespans?

He does mostly promote high performance, but he also makes an emphasis on living longer and staying healthy longer.

• CorstiaanCorstiaan
    edited July 2

@Romtim said:
    As far as I know, he is in no way working out a lot, he actually says that he works out like twice a week or so - pretty light, compared to many people exercising almost daily. What you're saying is that going on 30min runs a few times a week will actually lower people's lifespans?

Highly unlikely, unless you add to that exercise regime a stressful full-time job ( physical or mental ), little sleep, drugs, wrong or insufficient nutrition, chemical exposure, an unhealthy urge for more utility, and a socially toxic household.
    Combine all these factors, and you're exposing your body to levels of stress that even the occasionally 'running from tigers' didn't trigger.

@Romtim said:
    As far as I know, he is in no way working out a lot,

Believing what Dave says, he does have to take care of a lot of things, including his family and business.
    Not to say that his demand more than ours, but he does push the limits by sleeping little and all the hacking.
    Apparently, he also travels a lot by plane; you can definitely add this to those stress factors.

• cortextcortext ✭✭
    edited July 2

@Romtim said:
    What you're saying is that going on 30min runs a few times a week will actually lower people's lifespans?

This guy comes to mind when people worry about over-exercising (now 65 years old):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H.Andrews(biologist)

"Andrews is an accomplished ultramarathon runner, frequently running races as long as 138 miles long. In 2008 and 2009, Andrews successfully completed the Badwater Ultramarathon, a 135-mile race through Death Valley in temperatures exceeding 120 °F (49 °C)"... The guy was practically 60 years old when he pulled this off.

http://ergo-log.com/half-an-hour-exercise-a-day-make-that-three-hour.html

"We hear from scientists and health officers that we should all get at least half an hour of exercise a day to stay healthy. And if you already do that you should try to make that half hour a whole hour. This guideline is on the low side, epidemiologists at the University of Washington report in the BMJ. According to their meta-analysis, our health only really improves if we get two to three hours of physical activity a day."

• I absolutely agree! I was shocked when I saw what he currently looks like since I only know via his book cover and though he was 55. Further shocked of his real age. I googled him and compared a pic from 2010 and one from this year. Based on skin texture and lessening elasticity, his speed of going all grey and less muscle mass, it would seem he is ageing faster despite his bio-hacking which begs the question - it too much "hacking" a bad thing? Is it better to balance out natural ageing homoeostasis with a bit of hacking.

• @x3000gtx said:
    I've especially noticed his face aging in the last 6 months or so. I can't be the only one who thinks this. It's a little concerning.

I absolutely agree! I was shocked when I saw what he currently looks like since I only know via his book cover and though he was 55. Further shocked of his real age. I googled him and compared a pic from 2010 and one from this year. Based on skin texture and lessening elasticity, his speed of going all grey and less muscle mass, it would seem he is ageing faster despite his bio-hacking which begs the question - it too much "hacking" a bad thing? Is it better to balance out natural ageing homoeostasis with a bit of hacking.

• I read the comments above about Dave Asprey looking old, grey and sick. Unfortunately, there is some truth in this. In his latest video, just released, he seriously looks like he's in his early sixties.

I'm not putting down the guy. I buy some of his products. I add butter and MCT oil to my coffee, and I think it's cool that he's promoted butter coffee and has talked about the benefits of fat. But if he's promoting his diet and lifestyle as a way of live that will help people be healthier and live longer, it's legit to ask how he's looking, whether he's looking sick or healthy, whether he's lookin' lean or a little overweight, whether his hair is going grey early (and why), and what's going on with the dude. Some people who do keto look great. Seeing guys who do keto who are in their sixties, and look 40, does promote the keto lifestyle. Seeing guys in their 40s who appear to be aging faster than usual, raises some questions that are legitimate to raise.

My own gut level feeling is that he needs to re-evaluate things. He promotes fasting, but calls it "bulletproof" fasting, also known as fat fasting. Fat fasting can be good, but not as a way of life. It's really not the same as water fasting.

Part of the problem could also be the biohacking, as others have said. When you take a bunch of garbage hoping to hack your biology, there can be some risk. In this sense it would be helpful to know what he's taking, maybe just to avoid it.

I don't know if anyone else here is old enough to remember Duke Pearson and Sandy Shaw. They used to sell products and promote a diet and way of life that were supposed to make people live longer and stay young looking. They took a face full of antioxidants every day, and said everybody should. They were the original biohackers, back in the 1970s. They looked good for a while, a year or two, but suddenly started looking older, fatter, sicker. Whatever they were doing was not working. It's legit to ask what's going on, in that sort of situation, and why not.

Dave - if you're reading this - this is not intended as an attack - just worried about you dude. Maybe get in to a doctor and see what's going on.

• With AI advancing so rapidly (eg. ) it would be cool if you could take a snapshot each day, then compute some sort of neural network based healthy aging Index from the data. Then, we might better assess if some supplement or intervention was able to make a measurable difference (maybe it could make recommendations based on big data.)

• I dont think it is possible to biohack natural movement, sunlight and nature like he promotes. I love the bulletproof diet, but i get a impression his lifestyle is unhealty. He is a hard charging CEO and can not live a normal relaxed balanced life. We can learn alot from him, but the basics are missing. Diet and supplements dos not come first. My opinion

• come on dave. address this question. people are saying you are very much the Benjamin Button of the lifestyle advice arena. if you want to live to 180 what does this look like.

• Have noticed that aging is a part of his life indeed, however there are just so many variables in every person's health. I myself, through efforts of improving my physical and mental life, have made mistakes, some severe, some threatening to my health. Since everyone has a different composition of genes and everyone has different health conditions that can affect a person with a myriad of different health aspects. I think it is really up to each and every person to find their own perfect life style. While I might employ some of the suggestions from bulletproof, some of them may not benefit me in the way they benefit others. Also, hidden health conditions can surface during any time of our life and often we do not understand that we have certain health conditions until it shows in our physical makeup.
    Health related matters are a science. Anyone that can truly "beat" aging would have to be crowned leader of the world. None have been able to do that. Even ancient cultures have attempted to slow aging and tried to improve appearances.
    While each one of us faces different health conditions none of us really could be expected to age at the same rate.
    I myself have experienced severe mental trauma during many times of my life and it definitely shows.
    Every improvement we simply need to strive for and celebrate and every setback should simply be viewed as a sign there is more work to be done. Dave may indeed have health conditions that he himself and none of us may be aware of.

• Hey guys, I think that we're missing the fact that he was hugely overweight and unhealthy in his teens and twenties. Some of what some people think of "aging" is just the excess wrinkles that come from losing all that fat - the skin never tightens up around it. I wasn't anywhere near that overweight, but I was heavier and I've 20 lbs or more, and my belly's got wrinkles, just how it is.

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

@apollograce said:
    Hey guys, I think that we're missing the fact that he was hugely overweight and unhealthy in his teens and twenties. Some of what some people think of "aging" is just the excess wrinkles that come from losing all that fat - the skin never tightens up around it. I wasn't anywhere near that overweight, but I was heavier and I've 20 lbs or more, and my belly's got wrinkles, just how it is.

nope, we are talking about in the last 5 years since the creation of Bulletpoof, not before/after the weight loss.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • @everton101 said:
    come on dave. address this question. people are saying you are very much the Benjamin Button of the lifestyle advice arena. if you want to live to 180 what does this look like.

I've never understood why Dave wants to live to 180.

To me, death = freedom. I don't want to live past, say, 75.

• edited December 12

Dave boasted about having gotten stem cell injections all over his face.

Maybe that's done more harm than good in terms of appearance. It had to have had a drastic effect -- good or bad.