Multi-vitamin from Life Extension for Pregnant Mother

edited December 2016 in Bulletproof Parenting

Hi everyone - long time reader, first time poster.

I'm familiar with the bulletproof diet and have read The Better Baby Book (TBBB). My wife and I will be trying for a baby in the new year. I've distilled the advice in TBBB down into some easier to digest steps, however I was wondering if anyone could help us out with advice on multivitamins.

TBBB says that most multi-vitamins are horribly deficient in most of the essentials. This is some info from the book:

Good nutritional supplementation requires more than a single pill per day to fit in all the nutrients your body needs. We have recommended brands on our website, at www.betterbabybook.com/supplements.

Look for up to 50 milligrams of vitamin B6 and extra iron. Look for at least 500 milligrams of vitamin C. We recommend taking folinic acid, a more available and nontoxic form of folic acid, at 4,000 micrograms or more per day. Avoid more than 8,000 international units of preformed vitamin A (retinol), because it blocks vitamin D3. At least 400 milligrams of magnesium daily is also very important.

Multivitamins are an effective way to cover your bases and make sure you aren't dangerously deficient in any essential vitamin or mineral. A good multivitamin will be a nonsynthetic food-based capsule, tablet, or liquid that contains carotenoids; B complex; vitamins C, D, E, and K; and a good mix of minerals and fatty acids in a form useful to the body. During pregnancy, of course, the requirements are even higher. Lana took seven to nine multivitamin tablets a day during both pregnancies. “One a day” is good for marketing, but not for nutrition!

I realise that it misses the mark entirely on some vitamin/minerals, but can you see any reason as to why my wife couldn't take these? She would also be taking other supplements to get to the recommended levels in TBBB.

Thanks very much,

Cody

Tagged:

Comments

• Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

LE product are notorious for having gluten as fillers in their capsules. Constipation tends to accompany pregnancy, and adding gluten into the mix is a bad idea. I would go with a Thorne multi and stack with some magnesium malate and some DHA/EPA.

• Ok thanks Jason. Any thoughts on the vitamin A content? In the book they say to avoid supplementing with too much fully formed vitamin A. The Thorne multi has 3,000 IU From Beta Carotene and 2,000 IU as Palmitate. I'm no expert, but I think the Palmitate is fully formed vitamin A.