MMA Training & IF

Dave, and others- I've been on the Bulletproof diet since August. I love it. I work for a gas company from 7-3 and take around 10,000-15,000 steps a day burning about 600-900 kcals. I train Muay Thai and jiu-jitsu an hour each from 7:00-9:00 4 days a week, burning another 1,000 or so, bringing my expenditure on those days to around 3,000-3,600. I love the idea of intermittent fasting and want to use the intensity of MMA workouts to be burning fat. I'm 6'4, 220 (down from 290 years ago)- still no abs tho ) =

My question is... how should I be fueling up preworkout? It's a little late for BP coffee and I don't want a full stomach either. Help?? I want to stay in fat burning mode while still getting the best workouts possible. My recovery meal/ dinner/ only real meal of the day is usually a big plate of vegetables, gf beef and a mixture of brain oct/mct, and a coconut pancake (SLAMMIN) for "dessert". Which brings me to almost 2,000 calories right before bed.

Any thoughts from fellow athletes following the BP diet? It feels to be this diet by Dave is geared towards desk people and people seeking weight loss- rarely young athletes. (27 years young that is).

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Those workouts are high intensity therefore you need glycogen for them.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Thx Reka, youre right. Love keto tho. Trying to balance both

• I was doing crossfit fasted for a month from 4-5pm Mon-Fri, it's pretty high intensity so to help with endurance I took 1 litre water with beef liver powder and creatine during the workout. Some days I forgot to make the drink and still finished the workout fine. Then a big pwo meal an hour or two later.

I'm fat adapted but not as active as you during the day, so maybe I still had some glycogen in the tank from dinner the previous day.

• @Reka said:
    Those workouts are high intensity therefore you need glycogen for them.

I used to think this, Reka. But I now I only kinda-sorta agree.

First off, you can store about 500g (2000 calories) of glycogen. That's plenty, especially in addition to the amount of glycogen your body is constantly synthesizing during a ketogenic workout.

Now here's some useful numbers: http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance (probably not a well-controlled study, but I think it's sufficient to tell us what ketosis is capable of)

I was going to type commentary, but the article did a better job than I could. In short, max VO2 goes down a little bit, but aerobic capacity and anaerobic threshold skyrocket. What's even more amazing is that he's still 30% burning fat after he reaches the AT in ketosis.

In the context of a real MMA fight, its a hard call. Either one would give you a different kind of edge over your opponent, depending on how the fight goes.

But since this is in the context of training and you want to lose FAT, go ketosis bar-none.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited January 4

This is okay for the short term, but on a longer term this leads to hormonal changes. I used to do these types of trainings on low carb, and now I'm a walking zombie with cortisol levels too low to even measure.
    First the cortisol is high of course, and this higher cortisol stage lasts for years, but losing fat is already pretty hard in that state, and then when the levels drop, life becomes hardly bearable. We shouldn't look at immediate, short term changes caused by one ketogenic workout or two and state that it is safe to do long term. Attia did this experiment for 12 weeks, sure I was also doing fine with it for much longer than 12 weeks, but then it backfired pretty badly. Also, he had access to a world-class lab and probably different types of intervention if that was necessary (think of Dave taking T3, HRT, modafinil and testing himself regularly). Average people face serious difficulties even getting a thorough hormonal testing once so the risks are much higher for us and the consequences much harder to control.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• apollo69apollo69
    edited January 4

The beauty with intermittent fasting and 2-4 hour eating windows, is that you don't have to go low carb to get in deep ketosis and get the benefits of fat burning.

My diet is actually higher carb than when I did BP coffee and 6-8 hour IF eating windows. I can consume a lot of carbs now and still stay lean, especially if taken post workout.

I also dry fast (no water) for most of the daily fasting window to accelerate ketosis.

• How many G's of carbs do you consume in the PM/postworkout and how do you get into "deep ketosis" the next day? I also cut the BP coffee in the am, I stay fasted (green tea, acv, little lemon, turmeric, cayenne and sea salt throughout the AM) and open my eating window with a cup of BP as a preworkout around 4/5, workout Muay Thai from 6/7-9 and eat a pretty ketogenic meal after (grassfed meat, broc, cauli, avocado, etc). Def interested in adding more starch when I get to my maintenance weight, which is 205- I'm 220 right now. Gdamn holidays killed me.

Apollo, > @apollo69 said:

The beauty with intermittent fasting and 2-4 hour eating windows, is that you don't have to go low carb to get in deep ketosis and get the benefits of fat burning.

My diet is actually higher carb than when I did BP coffee and 6-8 hour IF eating windows. I can consume a lot of carbs now and still stay lean, especially if taken post workout.

I also dry fast (no water) for most of the daily fasting window to accelerate ketosis.

• I do yoga + HIIT workout totally fasted in the AM (no water, zero calories) after a cold shower, and 25 push-ups every hour after that until 4-6pm when I break my fast.

I'll have a black coffee around midday but other than that no liquids until an hour before my eating window, I used to guzzle 1 litre on waking with a pinch of salt as per BP protocol, but I find restricting water gets me in ketosis faster.

That's why dry fasting works so much quicker than water fasting, I can feel it in my breath now when I'm in deep ketosis as I've done several fasts so it's a familiar feeling. Longest so far is 17 days.

I don't track macros as closely these days but carbs are never below 100g, some days 200g+, at least 30% of calories.

If it helps I'm 6 foot and weigh between 73-78kg depending on eating window and training schedule.

Cutting the BP coffee (and all calories) out pre workout and extending the fasting window after waking made the biggest difference, I'm not trying to get huge though I eat for longevity and train for functional strength.