Evening Carbs?

I'm just getting started on this thing and am a bit confused. In the book, it says that you should have some carbs at dinner. Best I can tell, berries don't really have enough carbs to meet the criteria, and sweet potatoes or apples have too many, unless you're on a protein fast day. So, what do you all use as your evening carbs each day when you are not on a protein fast?

Comments

• @Jason Miller said:
    Why would sweet potato or rice be to many? But not berries?

Because sweet potatoes has twice as many carbs as berries, and rice has 3 times as many. Is there any outside limit on how many carbs you are allowed to have at night, or just on fructose?

• I would simply experiment on your own to determine how many carbs are optimal for you. After years of experimenting my wife and I each eat at least 1/4 of a cup of rice cooked in MCT oil about 5 nights a week. If I want an extra scoop after dinner I have it. I haven't noticed any ill effects and I still get into ketosis in the AM without a problem. If I eat very much less than this I get dry eyes and my heart randomly races in the middle of the night.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

Hi @MAGN3T5 , how are you cooking the rice with MCT oil ?

& did you look into using MCT oil for cooking ? I do not recall seeing MCT oil being used as a cooking oil before.

fake it till you make it

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭✭

I like variety - some days I might have berries for dessert. Other days I have sweet potatoes or white rice with the main meal. Some days I get all my carbs from non-starchy veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, brussels, etc. do have carbs - just not as much) and it ends up being less carbs than when I eat starches.

As they say, the dose makes the poison. If you really want to consume 50 g of carbs, you could eat a pound of raspberries. I doubt you need to try that hard though - as long as you're picking from the safe carbs, the amount is not as important.

Try and understand the "eat carbs in the evenings" thing in context - it's as much about not having carbs at other times. Don't start your day with carb-loading with a couple of bananas in your morning smoothie... instead - whenever or however you do decide to eat some carbs, try and have them with dinner.

• The great thing about sweet potatoes is you can CUT THEM so you can get the right amount of carbs for you...

• Dave recommends evening carbs because he had sleep issues which he claimed was due to lack of glucose during the night. I experienced a random period of not being able to sleep on keto last year and couldn't work out what was causing it. I would fall asleep for 2 hours then wake up at 2 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep again until like 5 in the morning. Was very frustrating. I tried having honey before sleep but it seemed to make the problem even worse. Anyway I thought about what I might have been doing different before I experienced the problem and realised I was eating meals quite late in the evening. I pushed my evening meal back 3 hours and stopped eating at around 6. After this the problem was solved and haven't had sleep issues since. May'be eating late sends the wrong signals to your body and messes with circadian rhythm, I don't know. May'be having some honey before sleep helps some people and that's cool but wasn't the case for me,