Concussion Recovery

I'm looking for a way to enhance my recovery form a concussion. I received one about two months ago and still have some PCS. I have already seen many doctors and had MRI and other work done to ensure I had no internal bleeding. I come here because the only recommendation my doctors have given me is to rest and try not to use screens/workout/study/read too much. I want a better answer than that. From my research it seems there are many possible ways to improve the recovery rate of a concussion including many supplements (such as creatine, Vitamin E,C,D, Fish oil, pine bark extract, and others) also it seems that LLLT (low level light therapy) might help and that ketosis might help. I am curious what the consensus is on these activities and supplements for the brain and PCS especially in my case of being two months out from the actual concussion. Also what diet and exercise should I pursue?

Thank you

Comments

• Hi Reality Wizard,
    In 2002 I was on the highway, stopped in traffic and a car going about 45 mph hit the back of my car, totaling it and I got quite a concussion to the back of my head. Short term memory was gone, I had to write everything down. Barely held onto my job for the first six months. And I mean barely. It was a factor in my divorce. Even 2-3 years later it was bad. Sometimes I would be in a store and turn the corner in some aisle, and I would not know where I was, I would not even know who I was. I was like somewhere lost in space. Scarey stuff. Anyway 2-3 years later fortunately I turned it around in one week by using a particular brain exercise program at the time called Positscience. It was like I came back from the dead... In one week I was back to the person I used to be before the accident. And once a year for maybe five years I would do the program 5 nights a week for one month for maintenance. Back then they sold software you installed. It was an entire gym for the brain. Audio memory and processing, visual memory and processing, speed. I do not think they sell that anymore, but they have a subscription based program that seems just as good, the last I checked called BrainHQ.com, it was $99 a year. In some ways it's better then the purchased software as they keep improving it. They have metrics that track how you do over time. I do not care about that. I can tell as I go through my day in my office what the improvement is. I hope this information about my experience does you some good. Best...

• You should look into neurofeedback, EEG or pIR HEG for a better recovery. I suffered some head injuries throughout my life and used neurofeedback to get me back to speed

• The medical recommendations for what to do after a concussion are pretty disappointing.

As you mentioned, avoid screens and don't overexert yourself. But what else can you do?

Branched-chain amino acids have been noted to facilitate concussion recovery, at least in animal models: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23560894

Stock up on brain foods: http://www.brainprotips.com/brain-food-pyramid/

And don't get overstressed about the fact that you were concussed. It's easy to fall into this trap where you think you've lost your "secret sauce" after a concussion. Being forward looking is key.