Not hungry, but brain "shuts down" while fasting

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and I've been practicing bulletproof intermittent fasting for about 1 week. I'm not feeling any hunger before 2pm, but my brain doesn't seem to run on fats alone.

I feel dopey, like I can't find words, can't think straight. (I'm a research scientist, so thinking is part of my day job.) If it goes too long, then eating a meal won't fix it. It feels like being drugged up, woozy, and may end up as a headache.

Does anyone else have this problem with fasting? I love not being hungry, but it feels like my brain is running out of fuel.

Does this go away once I get used to it?

-Oi

Comments

• There are a few things to test here

1. Getting tired in the afternoon is somewhat natural, in my perspective. Look to how europeans have a siesta. If sleep isn't an option, how about taking a short break to rest.

2. It could be a electrolyte issue. Try taking some salt and see how you feel.

3. Test test test. Try having some protein or carbs or different types of fats at different times. Everyone's biology is slightly different. For example, I have been testing eating more food in the morning and not in the evening for the last week and at least in the short term i feel better than when I was avoiding food early in the day. Always be testing

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Are you sure you are in ketosis?

I get tired in keto as well after some time. Eating veggies and protein helps.

If nothing works have some breakfast. Some busy people have breakfast and fast during business hours.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Thanks for the comments.

I should point out that this is not physical tiredness or fatigue. This is a complete mental bonk- slurred speech and everything. (I was worried about driving home the other day!) It seems better if I'm a little more proactive about feeding- eating as soon as I start to feel the "dopey" coming on. It's so interesting that it's not dictated by hunger. Here's my routine for the last 2 days that seems to help:

7:30am BP coffee with 1 T ghee
    10:30am vanilla "latte" with hot water and butter
    Lunch at 1 pm with some carbs, and after that I'm generally fine.

The carbs seem to be necessary, so I'll see if I can wean them over time. I'll test out the salt idea next.

Thanks again,

-Oi

• It might be because you are not eating enough in the evening I would strongly recommend eating carbs in the evening (good kinds) , the fact that you are fine after the carbs at lunch is indicating that you might be missing that part of your personal nutrition puzzle ;o). I believe we gals need more carbs than guys to stabilize our hormones. I bought myself a blood glucose meter and whenever I do not feel 'quite there' then I measure my blood sugar, usually it is about 10+ lower than usual ... might be worth checking into.

• I'd like to check on your progress as I am going through the same thing and am not sure exactly what to do?

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

@Aussie_Pete said:
    I'd like to check on your progress as I am going through the same thing and am not sure exactly what to do?

So you are not just feeling tired at 4PM but also during the fast in the AM? I suspect you are eating too much sweet potato in the evening falling out of keto and probably dont get enough minerals and such. Look for the supplements page on bulletproof. Are you loosing weight?

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file