It's all a bit quiet at the moment...

dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
edited January 12 in Gangster Banter

Is it just me, or has social media, at least the health related stuff, including this forum gone a bit quiet.

I think everyone is still in holiday mode.

Or perhaps I've just not been invited to where the cool crowd is hanging out.

Edit: Jimmy Moore being one exception, prolific as ever.

fake it till you make it

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

We're slamming at ETP right now, but then again we have food haha.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited January 12

I was chatting with @Greg Carlet about that not too long ago. This place is fairly dead these days. Not sure it'll ever recover to its former level of activity.

The BP brand isn't really new or exciting anymore, and most of the early-adopters have kind of moved on from it. I could be wrong, but it seems like most regulars don't even adhere to a BP diet anymore, and haven't for some time. A lot of us have voiced dissatisfaction with the way the BP podcast has been done for a while now, and there haven't been any groundbreaking new products to get people excited.

The Mark's Daily Apple forum is a ghost town these days, and I feel like Mark's really scraping the bottom of the barrel with his blog subjects these days. They're seldom interesting or new. Same goes for most of the other gurus out there. They're re-treading old ground.

I think that the "paleo" and "ancestral health" thing is a fad that's passed.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Yea there is not much new stuff going on in here and when there is something new with a specific question about cutting edge stuff there is no answer. I think it is because the forum was broken for a long time and most people found another place to go to. I feel like it has a lot to do with those really annoying forum bugs. I was thinking about moving on too but right at that point when I said I go visit Longecity the software was updated...

I need to order something from the US soon and they don't deliver to Germany anymore due to our customs office I was thinking about asking @Walter if I can deliver it to him and he will send it to me.
    http://www.micro-pulse.com/collections/frontpage/products/9v-adapter

Also I see a lot of people including me making great progress (new job, more success, everything still good) so they don't need to visit the forum anymore.

In regards to Bulletproof as a brand I unsubscribed from the BP newsletter along with a bunch of others cause it felt like it became spam.... lots of advertisement little info no new stuff. Therefore it is more interesting to see new studies and trials being posted on Facebook.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited January 12

I was never here for the 'BP stuff',
    But because this was a pretty active, diverse & interesting forum, but yeah things have peaked...

fake it till you make it

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

@daz said:
    I was never here for the 'BP stuff',
    But because this was a pretty active, diverse & interesting forum, but yeah things have peaked...

Indeed. I like the diversity of people as well doing different things in order to perform better. Reminded me of this new Netflix documentary about fitness models and body builders and how they all have to do things differently.

some of the latest podcasts are interesting. I don't watch them regularly anymore though. More like when I'm in the mood.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

I'm thinking BP, and perhaps other similar brands have just gotten too big for their britches and are turning people off with the relentless sell-mode. They're losing the old community by non-stop adverts and right-hooks... and new, potential converts are put off by the sales-y tactics and lack caring about the community as people rather than just a potential for profit.

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!

Think of how much better BP would be as a brand if Dave jumped into his own Forum now and them and chatted with the plebs?

Antony Reed

edited January 20

@BrainSpankingNews said:
    Think of how much better BP would be as a brand if Dave jumped into his own Forum now and them and chatted with the plebs?

...what do you mean...
    "Dave Asprey Last Active August 2015"
    ...aha

fake it till you make it

• @BrainSpankingNews I'm curious, have had a steady decline in clients on coach.me?

As for as the forum, its been slow for while now... there are still threads here and there that make visiting worth while.

(I know almost nothing about business,but) As for the BP brand, I doubt that Dave is even the majority shareholder any more? So can we really blame him?

Getting health advice from a supplement salesman is like buying drugs from a doctor... how could anyone devise a diet that's suppose to be supreme, then turn around and say you still need to buy the top 10 supplements, collagen, whey, and etc. etc...That sort of paradigm makes no sense.

Initially it made sense to attach the supplement/coffee company to the podcast. Not anymore, but it's not too late for BP to take a page out of onnits play book. Have the BPR which would be the infomercial, and then have a separate platform for Dave so that we could still get some personality cult action going...

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

@Bull of Heaven said:
    @BrainSpankingNews I'm curious, have had a steady decline in clients on coach.me?

Not really, no. Hard to say though. Word of mouth seems to be the main driver at the moment. When I started, at the time of the launch of the Bulletproof Diet book, there was certainly more clients up front, but that's to be expected. While the volume has gone down, its more like an evening out than a continual decline.

I have to say that I was pissed off when Dave started his certified BP coaching after setting us up with Coach.me and never looking back. It's all about making money and not about quality.

Antony Reed

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Am I treading old ground as well haha?

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

I for one get kinda pissed having to always see the same guys constantly disagreeing with basic BP tenets half the time on every thread. I believe moderators should try and move the conversation to support BP principles more, because some people come here as a supplement to the book or for easy answers on parts of the book they haven't gotten to yet. Just my take, after being shut down for holding the BP line on many things (yet contrapositively and ironically, having been shouted down for questioning certain things like MCT oil and xylitol, which I think are terrible).

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

@Modern Life Survivalist said:
    I for one get kinda pissed having to always see the same guys constantly disagreeing with basic BP tenets half the time on every thread. I believe moderators should try and move the conversation to support BP principles more, because some people come here as a supplement to the book or for easy answers on parts of the book they haven't gotten to yet. Just my take, after being shut down for holding the BP line on many things (yet contrapositively and ironically, having been shouted down for questioning certain things like MCT oil and xylitol, which I think are terrible).

Kind of concerning that you are referring to BP in the same context as a religion, and wanting to control the conversations in a certain direction which in any other scenario would have you shouting about conspiracy brainwashing. It is all about quality of content, if someone has a thoughtful argument that presents science based facts why would you want do discourage that conversation? is it fear? of course, if someone posts something like "fuck dave azzballs, his coffee is bullshit #vegangains" then of course that non productive commentary is deleted.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited January 25

This boils down to sharing own experiences versus repeating the theory. I choose to believe my own experience when the two contradict each other. And I think when so many people share contradicting experiences it is not useful to tell them the usual "the theory is sacred, this is how it is supposed to work, so you must be doing it wrong, there is no other explanation" type of answer. You also experienced that, in practice, not everything works as it should according to the dogma. Do you believe that MCT and xylitol is wonderful, as they are supposed to be, or do you rather believe your own experience? Why is it such a crime when others also accept what they are experiencing instead of denying it because the theory must be infallible? Yes you may experience problems with MCT or xylitol, and also with several other things, and it doesn't necessarily mean that you are doing it wrong! If we silence everyone whose experiences differ, the theory will never evolve and never close the gap with real world results.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

Dunno if I fall into this category for you, but when I disagree with certain tenets of the BP diet, it's because I've found a different way that works better for me. It isn't intended to be an attack, but rather an attempt to seed variety of thought. If you look deep into my post history, or into the histories of many detractors, you'll see that they were once hardcore BPers who explored the diet and lifestyle for years before coming around and addressing its faults. Those faults are not going to be immediately clear to a newbie who just saw a meme about BP coffee or read Dave's book. When someone shows up with a serious problem ("I can't sleep" or "I'm not losing weight"), it gets really tiresome having a bunch of people ignorantly suggest cutting down carbs even further or other crap when it obviously isn't working.

The BP diet is not the end all be all, and it's harmful to inexperienced newbies to act like it is. Like any other approach, it has some strengths and weaknesses. If you really care about bio hacking and the advancement of health science, then you can't look at any dietary regimen as a sacred cow.

The short version: What you're seeing on these forums is not childish disagreement with BP principles just to get a rise or crap all over Dave's work. It's the result of self-experimentation and is representative of evolving scientific thought.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

@John Brisson said:
    Am I treading old ground as well haha?

It's funny you say this, I was just perusing the FYG site the other day and enjoying several articles. There's a lot of interesting stuff there that other bloggers haven't bothered discussing. It's a meaty, useful resource in a world increasingly filled with fluffy health blogs.

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

@Jason Miller said:

Kind of concerning that you are referring to BP in the same context as a religion, and wanting to control the conversations in a certain direction which in any other scenario would have you shouting about conspiracy brainwashing. It is all about quality of content, if someone has a thoughtful argument that presents science based facts why would you want do discourage that conversation? is it fear? of course, if someone posts something like "fuck dave azzballs, his coffee is bullshit #vegangains" then of course that non productive commentary is deleted.

I'm not saying that. It's just about what I perceive as a concerted effort and when people pile up against things that should be considered tenets. I feel like a minority when I agree with Dave. That doesn't feel like a personal difference or preference when that happens.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I've been quiet but occasionally checking in, I just haven't felt like I have a unique perspective to offer on the new posts I see, so haven't logged in. (I browse incognito, so I'm logged out by default and need to get lured in.)

I've gotten a lot of value from BP, and still do, but I also think mindfulness and tracking what's actually making you perform well and feel good is more valuable than following specific advice. The specific advice is the starting point of what to test in my opinion. I've always been pro tracking for this reason, but the mindfulness part is newer for me. I think it guards against situations where enthusiasm for following a plan exactly leads us to ignore signs of trouble, aka evaluating tracked data selectively. How many times have we seen: "Yipee! I've made it to 14 days following the BP diet exactly! I'm down 10 pounds! I'm having a lot of trouble getting up the morning and my performance in the exercise I like to do is suffering, should I cut more carbs to increase ketones?" That is ignoring some tracked metrics in favor of others, likely due to over-enthusiasm for strictly following the plan. A mindfulness practice might combat that.

I don't think that "the paleo and ancestral health thing is a fad that's passed," I actually think it's that it's becoming more common knowledge, and many of us have tested it and find that being super strict is past the point of diminishing returns. I get a lot out of making better food choices. I don't get much more out of making the best food choices all the time. I suspect others who have assimilated the information but aren't super strict don't feel the need to constantly wave the paleo banner (or BP banner) so you end up seeing less evangelizing. You're less likely to blog, forum post, podcast, etc., if you just feel, "yeah, this is a good path to follow most of the time for many people," versus "this is the only path to health!"

As for bloggers quieting down, Chris Masterjohn has been a lot more active. Some good stuff over there.

• I changed jobs recently, so am a couple weeks behind on everything (podcasts, forums, etc.).

But even before that, I was not checking in as frequently.

edited February 1

@BrainSpankingNews said:

I know Dave comments on FB,
    but I was actually a bit surprised to just see a comment from the Dave Asprey account less than a hour ago on the blog, here;
    https://blog.bulletproof.com/kick-your-sugar-habit-with-these-bulletproof-alternative-sweeteners/#comment-3132929451

Edit: on clicking on the Dave Asprey Disqus account, I see that Dave (or the account, BP staff) comments quite often on the blog site,
    https://disqus.com/by/BulletproofStaff/

fake it till you make it

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Ah well, BP was a nice addition to my knowledge, but everyone has to move on at some point. Like @Skeletor says it's evolving. Also agree with @ACH85 that ancestral health is becoming more common knowledge. Eating local, real food just makes too much damned sense when you think about it. Same goes for certain lifestyle choices, this stuff is becoming self-evident.

• Dave's new book release has me interested again. Looking forward to having his light recommendations all in one place as I haven't really had time to dig deep into it.

• CorstiaanCorstiaan
    edited February 7

Such a shame, I've only been around for a year or so. At first the forum was totally broken, layout wise.

Now, it looks rather good to be honest. It's just somewhat overwhelming for those who are experienced bio hackers, it demotivates me if questions come from onetime users who ask something that's fairly easy to google or read in Dave's first book.
    In December I tried to spice things up by creating something more interactive,
    https://forum.bulletproof.com/discussion/19373/what-is-your-evening-routine-tell-us-all-about-it#latest
    As you can see, that clearly did not work out well.

How about an independent Reddit forum? Moderated by a couple of us, I'd be down for that.
    We're all people looking for high performance, we are constantly trying to be the best version of ourselves and are not afraid to make sacrifices to achieve this goal.
    However, such devotion may have set us back due to loss of time that could have been invested elsewhere as well as due to a loss of short-term will power.
    Many of us come from deep waters, for sure.

If there is one thing that none of us has betrayed, then it is Dave's core message. Which IMO would be to only believe that what has been properly researched and/or works best for YOU.
    It could have been foreseen that such a target group would eventually become good in doing its own research, and become critical of whatever Dave claims.
    Regardless of our diet and lifestyle, his core message just got us hacking beyond the scope of his own ways and products.
    Some of us make sophisticated, well-researched economic decisions regardless of what Dave tells us.
    For those people, the people whom are not merely looking for an easy spreadsheet to follow, I believe such a restricted Reddit forum may be a both fun and productive solution. Mods could invite people from other platforms/networks too.

I don't want to hurt Dave's business by linking external articles or recommend newbies on cheaper alternatives, Dave's one of the people that made me open my eyes when I was at my worst and for that I thank him gratefully.

• The bugs of the forum never bugged me. (That was accidental.) I just found myself keeping the BP brand at arm's length, (though I still buy the oils, the coffee, the proteins, and the charcoal from Dave,) as the growth of the brand has me instinctually suspicious. I also find the podcasts less and less interesting, as they seem tailored more to rich dudes with power to burn rather than anyone trying to improve their health. I still enjoy listening to some of the stellar early ones though.

I suppose the question I have is this: Is Dave (and Bulletproof) still trustworthy?