Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting

My understanding is that BIF is supposed to work due to not raising insulin very much because of consuming only fat calories in the morning. I get this part

However, isn't the main reason fasting works because you're giving your digestion a rest? And if that is true, isn't your body still having to digest the BP coffee, therefore at the very least reduced benefits if compared to a true fast?

Thanks

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited January 16

depends on your goals I guess, as to what type of fasting (if any) you want to do

fake it till you make it

• I think it's also due to being in ketosis.

• Why is 2+2=4 ? Who knows, but it works. According to the gospel of Dave the Fats are the key to why it works. Because it doesn't stimulate insulin or the burning of simple carbs and sugars the way a normal meal works, your hormones remain at rest and your body is happy to keep burning fat a it had been doing all night long.

I think there are 2 BIG factors here. Caffeine is an appetite suppressant and fat helps our bodies work and feel full and let's face it, we would all be screwed without our morning cup o joe. So this way you can keep your fat burning engine engaged AND suppress the desire to eat everything around you throughout the day. We can argue if it really is an intermittent fast by definition or we can practice what works and not really care why it works.

Josh

edited January 20

...I don't think anyone is arguing whether BPIF is IF.
    BPIF is BPIF. IF is IF.
    Two different things.

fake it till you make it

• I just got back into IF after watching the last JRE with Dr. Rhonda Patrick. Most IF things I've read say that you can drink black coffee and tea. Dr. Rhonda said on the podcast that you can't have caffeine while fasting. Does any one know what she's talking about?

edited January 24

^ question is, does she know what's she's talking about ?

(Caffeine enhances autophagy btw, if that's of any interest to you)

fake it till you make it

• I listened to the same thing...tried it today- was fine wout the coffee. I wonder about ACV & sea salt in your water tho...& a sqeeze of lemon God forbid? Lol...love Dr Rhonda so im gonna try for a week or two. I work till around 2 or 3 everyday and train muay thai 7-9 so my first meal is around 3 and my last around 930/10. Guess well see...im curious.

@KevinTran said:
    I just got back into IF after watching the last JRE with Dr. Rhonda Patrick. Most IF things I've read say that you can drink black coffee and tea. Dr. Rhonda said on the podcast that you can't have caffeine while fasting. Does any one know what she's talking about?

edited January 25

@KevinTran said:
    I just got back into IF after watching the last JRE with Dr. Rhonda Patrick. Most IF things I've read say that you can drink black coffee and tea. Dr. Rhonda said on the podcast that you can't have caffeine while fasting. Does any one know what she's talking about?

As far as I can tell, this was in the context of Time Restricted Feeding (TRF), not Intermittent Fasting,
    But I'm happy to be corrected, & please link to a ref.

Here is some related info...
    " Dr. Rhonda Patrick – Anything that affects the brain, gut, liver etc. sets the clock. Caffeine does this."
    https://mobile.twitter.com/foundmyfitness/status/749292233166237696

"Does Caffeine Count?
    Yes, caffeine and other zero calorie beverages, such as diet sodas, teas, and coffee, still count. Caffeine affects your brain and metabolism. Research still needs to be done do understand what effect caffeine will have on a time-restricted diet. However, in all studies performed to date, only water was available outside of the designated eating interval." https://mycircadianclock.org/faq

'Caffeine Resets Your Inner Clock' http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/09/16/440612648/caffeine-at-night-resets-your-inner-clock

fake it till you make it