sweet potato

hard to believe but it is my first sweet potato!! it is in front of me and i don't know how to cook properly, i mean in a bulletproof-ish way.
please any help about a simple, really simple recipe? thanx and sorry for so much idiot request

Comments

• Bake it, just like a regular potato. Just wash off the skin with plain water, then put it in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes to an hour, until it feels slightly soft to the touch. If you wrap it in aluminum foil before baking, you lose some of the sweetness, so don't do that. Once it's cooked, you can split it open and put butter on it, crumbled bacon, even grass-fed yogurt.

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭✭

I do basically the same thing - wash/rinse off the sweet potato, then put it in the oven directly on the rack. I usually go 425º for an hour, longer if it is a large sweet potato.

Once it's done, I take it out of the oven, slice it and put a big pat of butter in the slice to allow the butter to melt. Then eat with a fork, within the peel if you want, or you can use a spoon to scoop the sweet potato out of the peel.

You can get more fancy by peeling and slicing it, but most of the time I just bake mine.

(I usually put an old pan or something underneath the sweet potato as they can often drip... which is a pain to clean off the bottom of the oven.)

• thank you, if just boiled would loose its properties? i am traveling right now and the kitchen has only the microwave!! so i would rather prefer to cook it into the water....

• @santi said:
    thank you, if just boiled would loose its properties? i am traveling right now and the kitchen has only the microwave!! so i would rather prefer to cook it into the water....

Depending on what properties you mean, no. Don't use a ton of water, steaming it is probably better for retaining its nutritional content. Also, if you boil or steam, it won't be as sweet as baking.

• got it! thanks