Best first step against fading mind?

Hello all,
My grandmother is in her 70s, physically fit and very active. She is skinny and always running around, doing stuff around the house.
Unfortunately her mind is failing more and more.
She forgets and confuses things, asks the same thing three times in ten minutes.

She eats meat, dairy, drinks coffee, doesn't smoke, and thinks it is hip to eat Maggi and other processed chemical stuff due to the times she is from.
Her products are conventional.
She doesn't eat or sleep much but regular.

They should have enough money to get some better quality things since my grandfather is still working.

My grandfather is a conventional medical doctor and has put her on medications which did not work well.
I already sent him mails about things I learned from the Bulletproof diet but he seems to think he knows what to do and doesn't really look into what I wrote.

Changing her whole diet is too much, so starting with one thing might be best.

What is the most important thing to help with her fading mind?

I appreciate your input.
Thanks in advance!

Lena

Comments

• edited January 23

Perhaps her brain is less glucose sensitive then before, maybe a simple first step would be to provide some ketones, brain octain oil number one choice but if not MCT oil or even cocconut oil.

Also perhaps nicotine tabs, even very small amounts (ones to help smokers quit - easily found in a drug store). I'm very sensitive so I use only half a 2 mg tab at once (she might need a bit more). It really makes a difference in my focus for say an hour or two. Also go off it at least 1 or 2 days a week as it can be addictive.

Don't know if this will help, but if she tries it curious to know results!

• @borrowed time said:
    Perhaps her brain is less glucose sensitive then before, maybe a simple first step would be to provide some ketones, brain octain oil number one choice but if not MCT oil or even cocconut oil.

Also perhaps nicotine tabs, even very small amounts (ones to help smokers quit - easily found in a drug store). I'm very sensitive so I use only half a 2 mg tab at once (she might need a bit more). It really makes a difference in my focus for say an hour or two. Also go off it at least 1 or 2 days a week as it can be addictive.

Don't know if this will help, but if she tries it curious to know results!

Thanks!
    Considered gifting them some Brain Octane.
    I will see what else comes up and then consider the options.
    Is the nicotin tab addictive?
    I will see what my grandparents are receptive to.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Well my parents don't really do that what I tell them to do like doing dual n back training for example so I gave up on trying to fix them and instead support them if they come up with cool ideas on their own. For example somehow my father came up with something on weight lifting so I gave him the BBS book as a Christmas present. He has been doing this now for 2 years or so... And my mother said she feels tired during winter times and thought about getting a light therapy device so I got her one of those for Christmas etc. However if it is hard to do or takes time they usually hate it and don't do it. However exercise and diet are the most important things.... Drinking water etc...but it is very hard to tell an old person what to eat in my experience.

In regards to nicotine so far there is @Walter who says it is not addictive for him but all the other say it is. I remain skeptic.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Hi both, @DMan and @Lokeshi Hirsch
    At the low doses of nicotine I take I haven't had any problem with addiction. Also I alternate BP coffee and KAQUN water and Unfair Advantage (PQQ). So on days I'm not taking nicotine I use something else for focus.
    By the way coffee is also addictive so I also use it small amounts (1 or max 2 per day) and cycle it with coffee free days. Of course the "detoxing" from coffee and nicotine is not really drastic as could be with street drugs, and the possible side effects are usually non existent if you weren't on a high dose in the first place.
    As far as I know KAQUN water (water containing oxygen polimers which allegedly increase oxygen availibility to cells) and PPQ are not addictive. PQQ is great for energy and brain focus, but a bit more expensive.
    I agree that changing you parents (or anyone else) is a useless endevour, I gave up. You still can offer small things or encourage them to try things.

• By the way, It sounds like I take nicotine on a regular basis, actually I don't. Just occasionally, If I really have an important event.

• Thank you @DMan and @borrowed time
    It is not only old people though.
    Most people have difficulties in receiving something.
    Which is also why I thought to start with this one most important thing. Changing the whole diet will be too much but adding some supplement in will be easier.
    This is what they are used to.
    If you are sick, you take a pill.
    Maybe I could even get them into BP coffee.

So really, I get two things suggested:

• Brain octane or at least MCT or coconut oil
    • Nicotine in microdoses

What about those supplements Dave sells?
    Aging formula for example and now he has a bunch of new supplements available which I haven't looked into.
    Is there a magic pill?

Thank you all!

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

@Lokeshi Hirsch said:

Is there a magic pill?

Thank you all!

Not yet. Science is working on it. However in regards to brain the basics are quite simple to understand. Use it or loose it. And of course feed it with nutrients take take care of inflammation and keep hormones in check. Which is one of the many reasons why exercise is important for the brain. Someone can recommend a good multi vitamin. If she finds some benefit from it maybe she will participate.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• how did you first get into bulletproof? try that approach on your family too.
    Dave sells those travel size bottles of brain octaine which are perfect for gifts so people can try it out.
    alternatively, you could make her some real BPC with the oil and good butter to have her feel the difference. best way to convert a skeptic is to show them

• Thank you @James0903.
    Nice advise.
    I have thought about making them BPC along with a gifted Brain Octane.
    We got into it on the search for good collagen to repair my husbands gut.
    I don't know how much this will help her but who knows... maybe a spoonfull in the coffee. :-)