Not getting restorative sleep

For most of my life (except during grad school, oddly) I've always had trouble going to sleep and definitely would never describe myself as a morning person, but things have fallen off a cliff sometime in the last year. Every day I wake up, I feel like a complete sack of garbage; an absolute struggle to get up. It doesn't matter whether I had 6 hours of sleep or 12, I feel like I didn't sleep a wink. An hour or so after I'm out of bed, I'm banging at 100% whether I had coffee or not. I believe I'm not getting into deep sleep; there's nothing restorative about it.

I've tried all the sleep hacks Dave put in his book and just about everything for sleep in his blog. I've had a sleep study to rule out sleep apnea, and I'm in pretty good physical shape. I tested positive, a few months back, for Mercury toxicity (which can cause insomnia) but have since been through a chelation protocol and am soon to be re-tested to be sure we got all of it. I've tried Neurofeedback (Brainpaint, specifically) and I just had an qEEG/Brainmap done this weekend, awaiting results.

I'm coming to the forum now as I'm getting pretty desperate. Looking to see if anyone here has experienced this or has ideas while in parallel of waiting for the test results mentioned above. If anyone has suggestions beyond Dave's sleep hacks, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

How much do you usually sleep? Is it a regular amount or changing? Are you eating enough? Do you have any hormonal problem?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

If you're following the Bulletproof diet to a T, that may be the root cause. When I was really into the ketosis thing, it fucked with my sleep severely. More carbs or more food in general could help if that's the case.

Is your room nice and dark when you sleep? Are you avoiding blue light before bed? Are you deficient in any major nutrient?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• so very interesting!

in the middle of the podcast more or less ( sorry i can't remember)
    he said that taking epsom salt bath helps quite a lot for a better sleeping!
    because the magnesium is absorbed by osmosis from the skin/body
    instead if it is taken as supplement it will be "released" so to speak in the urine....

actually it is true for me at least!
    bath works tremendously, supplement doesn't!

hope it helps
    it is worth listening

• I'm not following bulletproof to a T. When I'm on it I'm probably 90% BP but the last 10% I'm either not willing to give up or I don't agree with Dave with the research I've done. I've probably been 70% adherence since Thanksgiving. For the most part I get 6-7 hours of sleep a day, which was fine prior to things going all to hell, and that's still pretty much the norm still with not falling asleep till 1am and having to wake up at 7:30 for work. I've had a good routine of catching up on sleep during the weekends but even that I feel like crap and struggle to get up and get moving on those days.

• I have also tried upping the sodium, magnesium, and potassium intake. That hasn't made much of a difference unfortunately.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

"..not falling asleep till 1am..."
    aha, screwed circadian rhythm.

fake it till you make it

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

@daz said:
    "..not falling asleep till 1am..."
    aha, screwed circadian rhythm.

Mine is screwed too, although I go to sleep around 11 so it's not that horrible, and I'm feeling like crap.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• I'm using the Oura ring to track my sleep. I was most interested in Deep Sleep (Stage 3) since that is the time the CSF washes out the waste material from the interstitial regions of the brain. I did all of the sleep hacks Dave suggested, and had to add a small amount of thyroid a few weeks ago, which helped some. Recently, I added a small amount of Progesterone (a few drops of ProgestE) and had a very good night with 1.5 hours of Stage 3 Deep Sleep, compared to very few nights of more than 1 hour of Stage 3 Deep Sleep prior to the Progesterone. My REM sleep, as a side effect, also improved to nearly 3.5 hours. For reference about progesterone and thyroid take a look at raypeat.com articles.

@artlange , the progesterone info is interesting,
    are you male or female ?

fake it till you make it

• I am male, so I limit my Progesterone to 5 to 8 mg/day. Females can handle a lot more.

• edited February 16

I've had a similar experience. For the better part of three decades I suffered from poor sleep and went through numerous sleep studies, EEGs, neuro feedback therapies, supplements, sleep hygiene protocols etc..

Obviously everyone is unique but what has saved my health and sleep was Osteopathy. Particularly the advanced level cranial and visceral techniques, as well as the biodynamic approach and the more mainstream structural manipulations.

I get Osteopathy treatments every few months, like some get a typical massage, and it has forever changed my sleeping habits for the better.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like more information. Cheers!

Thrive Fitness borntothrive.ca
    Thrive Health organicsulfurcrystals.ca
    Functional Movement Systems functionalmovement.com

• Alright, I'm going to preface this by saying I live in California so, that being said, I get mints from a medical marijuana dispensary that allow me to sleep the sleep of angels. They're called Relaxation Mints. I take one after dinner, they're not strong enough to get you loaded like other edibles, and they allow me to sleep the night through. I wake up totally rested with no grogginess whatsoever. And for a woman in her 40s who can't sleep the night through to save her life, this is huge. They are miracle workers!

• Sometimes I take 5-10 mg sublingual melatonin and then put a drop of lavender essential oil on my pillow and breathe deeply.

I don't do this often, but when I do, my quality and depth of slumber significantly improves.

edited May 4

@izzylu said:
    Alright, I'm going to preface this by saying I live in California so, that being said, I get mints from a medical marijuana dispensary that allow me to sleep the sleep of angels. They're called Relaxation Mints. I take one after dinner, they're not strong enough to get you loaded like other edibles, and they allow me to sleep the night through. I wake up totally rested with no grogginess whatsoever.

Anyone know if we can get this sort of product in Australia ?
    Or CBD oil in Australia ?

fake it till you make it

• @JediMindTrick said:
    For most of my life (except during grad school, oddly) I've always had trouble going to sleep and definitely would never describe myself as a morning person, but things have fallen off a cliff sometime in the last year. Every day I wake up, I feel like a complete sack of garbage; an absolute struggle to get up. It doesn't matter whether I had 6 hours of sleep or 12, I feel like I didn't sleep a wink. An hour or so after I'm out of bed, I'm banging at 100% whether I had coffee or not. I believe I'm not getting into deep sleep; there's nothing restorative about it.

I've tried all the sleep hacks Dave put in his book and just about everything for sleep in his blog. I've had a sleep study to rule out sleep apnea, and I'm in pretty good physical shape. I tested positive, a few months back, for Mercury toxicity (which can cause insomnia) but have since been through a chelation protocol and am soon to be re-tested to be sure we got all of it. I've tried Neurofeedback (Brainpaint, specifically) and I just had an qEEG/Brainmap done this weekend, awaiting results.

I'm coming to the forum now as I'm getting pretty desperate. Looking to see if anyone here has experienced this or has ideas while in parallel of waiting for the test results mentioned above. If anyone has suggestions beyond Dave's sleep hacks, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

I am using a new therapy called non-invasive transdermal CO2. I measure my perfusion index and SPO2 levels to ensure it is working and it does for me..five minute application feels like a water mist

Getting sleep after 22 years...

db

• Oh wow. I seemed to have knocked off my notifications during my move to WI back in March. Thanks to everyone that has chimed in despite my absence. I will look into the thyroid, progesterone, osteopathy and transdermal CO2. I've started taking 1.5 the recommend dose of Sleep Mode and that has done a wonderful job of getting me to sleep within an hour 85% of the time, still not much for the waking up rested.

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭

It's also worth considering liposomal melatonin if you're not getting a good response to other forms. Some people have absorption issues with melatonin in tablets or capsules...

I believe I read somewhere (from Isabella Wentz?) that sleep hangovers that come from melatonin are a sign that the melatonin is helping your brain to detox. Not sure if that's accurate or just speculation, but something to consider.

• Thanks, I'll look into that