Rural Living Limitations!! Help!

TreenewalTreenewal
edited January 2017 in The Bulletproof Diet

Hi all!

New to the forum! Also new to the diet - just ordered the books and loosely following the roadmap till they arrive. I live in a rural area, the kinda of area that has a lot of farms and you would think there would be an organic grass fed source of butter or beef somewhere but so far FAIL.

The local grocery stores have 'international food" sections that consist of taco kits and curry paste. :/ Not joking. It's awful. Tons of gluten free products though. All exorbitantly priced.

Sooo I am not likely to find non-grain fed butter, and at the best I know I can get grass and grain fed beef.
How badly will this hurt my ability to go Bulletproof?

I am able to get giant tubs of coconut oil and other products when I travel to the city but I am unable to buy massive amounts of butter/beef at the same time. I only have so much freezer space...

I would order from Amazon but most of the larger products WILL NOT ship to me. :'(

Anyone else struggle with rural living limitations? Any suggestions? In the summer I can grow my own organic veg so no worries there. Working on a greenhouse so I can supply myself even in the winter.

I have chickens so I KNOW I have good eggs from happy chickens that run amok and eat their fill of bugs lol. I hand make their scratch and supplement lots of good kitchen scraps...

I know there must be a farmer on this damn island (Cape Breton, Canada) somewhere who can help me!! But until then.....help?

Cheers!! :)

"Nothing works unless you do"

Comments

• I just have to ask, are you an expat who left the US when Trump won the election?

Research how beef production works. Beef production can be managed in an infinite number of ways. I would assume that where you live the formula looks like this birth calves, calves live and grow on pasture, they reach a certain weight and then they're finished (fed for a certain period before slaughter) on grain. The different factors that I would expect you to see in your local beef producers would be, the number of head per heard, the size and composition of the pastures/silage, size of confined space, and the amount of time that they are in confined space.

Totally grass fed diary can be incredibly hard to find anywhere because it is much more difficult to manage then a grass fed beef operation. And at least in my experience, the few producers I have run across in my life in Pennsylvania that do operate grass fed raw dairy sell only cheese and milk because the demand/profitability of those products is much greater than butter.

It is very likely that there may not be any local beef or diary that is entirely grass fed. The question becomes (as you ask) how will that affect your ability to be BP. My contention is that unless you are incredibly ill, it will have a minimal effect on your health. I'd bet that the beef you will be able to find will still be leaps and bounds above factory farmed feed lot beef.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• You could get a dairy cow? ;-)

• edited February 2017

**had some issues with my sign in and had to redo my account.

bull of heaven- Nope. Not an american. Born and raised here. On a 5th generation dairy farm no less. Yup. I milked cows. Grew up drinking fresh-that-day raw milk. We had to shake the jug every time we took it out of the fridge to mix the cream in. Never churned butter however. (oh the irony). But my parents shut down operation 9 years ago - I couldn't get the funds to take over (but that's another story).

I know a lot of the local producers. Basically everyone in the area will pasture the animals in the summer. Dairy cows will generally get a feed of grain when they are brought in for milking, morning and night (some operations milk 3 x a day). Beef cattle are usually left to graze all summer but I know a lot of farmers that bring them supplement feed on a daily basis.

In the winter dairy cows are fed hay, silage and grains. Beef cattle get the same deal. Some farmers let their beef out in the winter - dairy cattle remain indoors. Some farms have open pens for them but a lot of farms hitch them in a single or double stall for the winter. (A lot of the farms here are old family farms - not modern facilities)

Jason - thanks for googling that for me! Problem is they are a quite a drive from where I am and I have no deep freeze to make the drive worth it :/ Just my shitty little fridge freezer.

fabgab - I would LOVE to get cow of my own ( a jersey - best for butterfat) but that involves registering as a farmer and I don't own my own place yet, just rent...looking to buy a house soon next to my parents place which would allow me to have my own animals again (I miss my cows a lot actually). I would ask a farmer to raise up a beef calf for me but it would be hard to keep it out of the grain the others were eating, and sad to have to isolate it (cows are like big puppies), and a pain for the farmer....

Thanks for the input guys :) I am too wordy - my question was really just how badly will grain fed-everything hurt my bulletproof-ness. I know there must be a farmer somewhere within an hour drive who can help me....I just don't know them. YET.

• @Froodlemum Well that's interesting and thanks for sharing as a city dweller always thought it would be harder to source food, has been somewhat of a challenge, but have enjoyed the experience of getting to know farmers. For the most part have all my needs covered now, local and fresh, minus dairy. Dairy seems to be challenge for a few people used to be able to get raw milk sold as "pet" food, but think that got shut down as well. So rely on Superstore for the butter as they bring in Kiwi Pure from New Zealand, very yummy. I also travel to Ontario monthly where I load up on butter in my suitcase and smuggle it back...

Guess what I'm saying is don't give up and keep asking eventually you will find something, sometimes have to get creative in where you look and how you source.

Also saddens me about the family farm a far to common story....

• If you are forced to eat grain fed meat, eat only very lean cuts. Get your fat elsewhere.