Brain Healing

Hi All,

Dave Asprey and the bulletproof team always talk about how beneficial ketones are for brain function, cognitive energy and cognitive function. But are ketones alone adequate or the best nutrition for brain health by means of healing the brain from things such as head injuries etc. Are ketones alone the best form of nutrition for the body to heal the brain? Thanks!

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

You probably know this already,
    but just an fyi for the thread,
    The brain can never 'run' solely on ketone bodies,
    I've read that after 4 days of no food (starvation) the brain can get up to 70 or 75% of its energy from ketone bodies. & afaik that's the max.

fake it till you make it

• Thanks daz!

Can you please share a podcast or link from bulletproof or anywhere else that confirms this? I would like to learn more. Thank you

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Dave mentions this a few times in older podcast but more as a side note during his story how he developed allergies from eating protein only. @daz was not going into detail but you should know that your body produces glucose by itself while you are in ketosis which is why there are no essential carbs... However there are essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals your body/brain needs for living so no ketones alone are not the best form of nutrition.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

@Luk3f00d said:
    Thanks daz!
    Can you please share a podcast or link from bulletproof or anywhere else that confirms this? I would like to learn more. Thank you

I just used wiki, there are refs...tho I did not check them. Here are a couple of the wikis;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone_bodies
    " The brain gets a portion of its fuel requirements from ketone bodies when glucose is less available than normal (e.g., during fasting, strenuous exercise, low carbohydrate, ketogenic diet and in neonates). In the event of a low glucose concentration in the blood, most other tissues have alternative fuel sources besides ketone bodies and glucose (such as fatty acids), but the brain has an obligatory requirement for some glucose.[10]
    After the diet has been changed to lower blood glucose utilization for 3 days, the brain gets 25% of its energy from ketone bodies.[11] After about 4 days, this goes up to 70%[12] (during the initial stages the brain does not burn ketones, since they are an important substrate for lipid synthesis in the brain). "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response
    " After 2 or 3 days of fasting, the liver begins to synthesize ketone bodies from precursors obtained from fatty acid breakdown. The brain uses these ketone bodies as fuel, thus cutting its requirement for glucose. After fasting for 3 days, the brain gets 30% of its energy from ketone bodies. After 4 days, this goes up to 75%.[5]
    Thus, the production of ketone bodies cuts the brain's glucose requirement from 80 g per day to about 30 g per day. Of the remaining 30 g requirement, 20 g per day can be produced by the liver from glycerol (itself a product of fat breakdown). But this still leaves a deficit of about 10 g of glucose per day that must be supplied from some other source. This other source will be the body's own proteins. "

fake it till you make it

• I think the best protection is probably glutathione and dopamine. I use undenatured whey, selenium and a bunch of other nutrients, and PEA specifically for the pheneyhlamine and dopamine deficiency. I'm 62 so my levels had been dropping a bit for a few years and I had started with ADHD so, I was a low dopamine symptom. When you look at PEA you'd probably agree with using it; even healthy people will improve with it.

I use butter and occasionally coconut oil so I'm unconcerned with lipids.

• Hi @DMan thanks for your comment above!

What are the essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals your body/brain needs for living (you are referring to)? so no ketones alone are not the best form of nutrition.

Where can I read and learn more. I cannot be depriving my brain of these essential requirements for life.

Thank you!

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Good question. There once was a thread about the best books for biohacking to read. There was a book recommendation about the fundamentals of biochemistry in humans I think recommended by @The BioChemist but I never read it. So for starters the "Wahls Protocol" is an ok read. She discusses the vitamins and such which is great because she has tables in it and what you need to look out for when you go to the doctor. Somewhat more sciency is the book called "Why isn't my Brain Working". In the second half of the book there is a huge chapter discussing neurotransmitters and what kind of amino acids and vitamins the brain uses.

Otherwise look up essential nutrients. "Essential" means you body can not produce it and you need to get it from the environment which can be food, supplements, your gut flora etc. Google is your friend if you know how to use it wisely. The scientific method would be to keep a distance from what you see and read and look at at least 3 different sources on one topic. For scientific trials mice and small sample sizes are nothing to get excited about really. You want double blind placebo controlled trials and look at studies with at least 500 subjects and try to understand that even science can't explain everything. Wikipedia is ok for an overview but also wrong sometimes but they always have links to further studies. Since everything is connected there is not just like one vitamin for your brain or something so you want all vitamins in check. I once created my own including foods and made my own recipes ot of that.

Some internet read:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin#List_of_vitamins
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_fatty_acid
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_(nutrient)#Dietary_nutrition

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training