Limiting fat

fabgabfabgab
edited January 2017 in Bulletproof Diet

Some groups that discuss ketogenic diets claim that even on a HFLC diet, if you eat too much too much (good) fats, your body won't use your stored body fat for energy (which you of course want it to do if you're trying to lose weight). I can't find any claims like that for the BP diet. I haven't finished the book yet, but so far, he seems to imply that even if you up your intake of good fats you should still be able to lose weight. Can anyone shed some more light on this?

Comments

• I thought one of the main takeaways about the BP diet is that weight loss is not all about calories. There are many, many other variables in place. In the book, he even proves this point with his example of eating 4000+ calories a day and still losing weight. I get really frustrated with all of the conflicting information out there.

• @Jason Miller said:
    The reason low carb diets or any other diet works is the calories are reduced, HFLC diets are very satiating and low hunger signalling causing people to eat less.

How do you allign this claim with the multiple studies that have people eating the exact same caloric intake, one high carb, low fat, and the other low carb high fat, where those on the low carb, high fat diet lose weight, while the others don't?

• If somebody isn't losing weight then I fully understand the wisdom in limiting calories until the weight starts coming off. However, there is another group of people on LC who are already at a healthy weight and they often need to consume large amounts of fat to prevent down-regulation of hormones and thyroid issues. Thought I would point this out because it seems most of the people that have problems on keto are under-eating.

• @Jason Miller said:

@Hoc said:

There aren't any, remember, peer reviewed, protein matched, isocaloric, metabolic ward studies (the gold standard in study quality).

It's been awhile, but I remember Dr. Hyman citing a study (in Eat Fat, Get Thin) of obese patients in a hospital where one group was given a low carb, high fat diet, while the other group was given a low fat diet. The calories were carefully controlled for both groups, so that they ate equal numbers of calories, and the high fat, low carb patients lost weight while the others did not.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

@Hoc said:

@Jason Miller said:

@Hoc said:

There aren't any, remember, peer reviewed, protein matched, isocaloric, metabolic ward studies (the gold standard in study quality).

It's been awhile, but I remember Dr. Hyman citing a study (in Eat Fat, Get Thin) of obese patients in a hospital where one group was given a low carb, high fat diet, while the other group was given a low fat diet. The calories were carefully controlled for both groups, so that they ate equal numbers of calories, and the high fat, low carb patients lost weight while the others did not.

From looking at this blog from Dr. Hyman,
    & from the sub heading "What About Metabolic Ward Studies that Show Greater Loss of Body Fat?"
    It looks like he only cited one metabolic ward study in the book,
    & he doesn't think much of that study.
    & he is awaiting the outcome of another study (not a metabolic ward study tho. A one year randomized controlled trial study).
    http://drhyman.com/blog/2016/03/30/fat-what-i-got-wrong-what-i-got-right/

fake it till you make it

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Carbs bring a lot of water with them. Reducing carbs causes a substantial water loss. Hence the weight difference.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.