Bulletproof bodybuilding routine

abelabel
edited February 11 in Athletic Performance

I am a skinny guy, I had average BMI body. In the past, I consumed high protein, moderate fats and low carb. Honestly, I had to limit my carbohydrates due to my disease. Recently, I'm got into bulletproof coffee and so addicted to it. Right now, i want to gain abit of fats and more muscle mass. What are the recommendation bodybuilding routines for high fats/protein and low complex carb ?

Comments

• Intermittent Fasting , bulletproof or not-- workout fasted- load up postworkout with quality protein, lots of vegtables, and some starch- sweet potato, carrots, white rice, etc.

Im not a big muscluar guy, but I've gotten some lean mass from following that protocal and more importantly- its what Hugh Jackman does to prepare to play Wolverine lol

• Eat all of your carbs around your workout, eat as many carbs as your disease allows as they are needed to build muscle. Do not train fasted that's just dumb if your trying to add lean muscle. don't listen to all these stupid workouts by celebs again pointless they have people makeing their food , planning their workouts. Invest in a good bodybuilding book such as arnies bodybuilding encyclopedia even if you don't want to be a bodybuilder all that info will build leanew muscle. And the main thing there are no short cuts it just takes time

• Glad you are enjoying your BP coffee!

If you are limit carbohydrates because of a disease, take whatever amount you can eat and put them around your workout.

So, this would mean having your sweet potato, white rice, or any other bulletproof starchy carb before you get into the gym, and have fruit or with your post workout shake/meal. This way, you are replenishing your glycogen stores after your workout, and giving yourself energy before hand.

As for routines, Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a good program to start with.

It is what it is.

• cortextcortext
    edited February 19

@Brothertrej said:
    Glad you are enjoying your BP coffee!

If you are limit carbohydrates because of a disease, take whatever amount you can eat and put them around your workout.

So, this would mean having your sweet potato, white rice, or any other bulletproof starchy carb before you get into the gym, and have fruit or with your post workout shake/meal. This way, you are replenishing your glycogen stores after your workout, and giving yourself energy before hand.

As for routines, Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a good program to start with.

Although, pre-workout starches ruin the desire to push myself harder and limit gym performance for me, while PWO starches are awesome (particularly if I can get enough in to fuel my next workout.) Personally, I get a lot more mileage out of glutamine and BCAAs than with any sort of starchy food or sugar -- these give me at least 10% more willingness to kick ass and 10% less laziness in the gym. I'm stronger in the evening, but I can put higher volume into a morning workout (I'm a lot more motivated in the am.) You might have to experiment with it.

I'd try pre-workout MCT + Exogenous Ketones + citrulline malate and Intra-workout BCAAs + Glutamine + Superstarch + taurine. Throw in some pre-workout coffee and hit your ear buds with loud, driving music and you're ready to load up the plates. PWO, you can shuttle the starches away with a high protein meal, creatine, beta-alanine, betaine and a glucose disposal supplement like cinnulinPF.

Poliquin recently published an eBook for mass-building (I think Tim Ferris sponsored it?) I haven't decided whether to splurge on it or not -- it's $47 bucks and likely mostly common-sense stuff... but I'd love to hear what he has to say in there. He tends to edge a lot closer to a high-fat primal-style diet for most people, but tweaks the ratios based on the individual (from ~50g total carbs to 70% CHO depending on how the biomarkers look, and how the athlete performs / feels.)

• @cortext said:

@Brothertrej said:
    Glad you are enjoying your BP coffee!

Although, pre-workout starches ruin the desire to push myself harder and limit gym performance for me, while PWO starches are awesome (particularly if I can get enough in to fuel my next workout.) Personally, I get a lot more mileage out of glutamine and BCAAs than with any sort of starchy food or sugar -- these give me at least 10% more willingness to kick ass and 10% less laziness in the gym. I'm stronger in the evening, but I can put higher volume into a morning workout (I'm a lot more motivated in the am.) You might have to experiment with it.

I'd try pre-workout MCT + Exogenous Ketones + citrulline malate and Intra-workout BCAAs + Glutamine + Superstarch + taurine. Throw in some pre-workout coffee and hit your ear buds with loud, driving music and you're ready to load up the plates. PWO, you can shuttle the starches away with a high protein meal, creatine, beta-alanine, betaine and a glucose disposal supplement like cinnulinPF.

Poliquin recently published an eBook for mass-building (I think Tim Ferris sponsored it?) I haven't decided whether to splurge on it or not -- it's $47 bucks and likely mostly common-sense stuff... but I'd love to hear what he has to say in there. He tends to edge a lot closer to a high-fat primal-style diet for most people, but tweaks the ratios based on the individual (from ~50g total carbs to 70% CHO depending on how the biomarkers look, and how the athlete performs / feels.)

Interesting that you find pre-workout starches ruin your focus. I agree with you involving workout timing- I prefer the morning as well.
    Have you heard of the Ketogains PWO coffee recipe? It's popular in the ketogains community on reddit. You might find it works well before your workout!

It is what it is.