Collagen hard on kidneys?

I was taking the collagen powder for my knees (Lyme disease is wrecking them) but my sister told me that supplement powders are hard on the kidneys. Anyone have any information on that? Aside from the Lyme, I'm in good health, 41, 122 lbs, not able to exercise very much right now, eating a mostly plant-based diet, some meat.

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

@KristenBee

How about your sister gives us some information on that.

It feels like there is no context.

Is it collagen that is bad for your kidneys?

Is it powders that is bad?

Is it supplements that are bad?

Did you ask google or anybody?

Did you think for yourself when you were asking this?

Do you think we are gurus who will look in our glass balls and give you some answers to all these questions? Maybe but you have to ask the right one. ;P

Is collagen bad for your kidney?
    According to MedlinePlus, a website supported by the National Institutes of Health, high calcium levels or hypercalcemia may occur as possible side effects of collagen supplements. And too much calcium can support kidney stone formation.

Food powders bad?
    Well if you take spices for example and let them stay around for a long time they may get moldy....

Are supplements bad for your kidneys?
    Short answer is sometimes. Too much of some supplements can be bad for your kidneys like calcium for example... for genetically prone people vitamin c can be bad, too much green tea extract can be bad.... but then again too much water can be bad as well so again this was a weird question...

In addition to that some people ask if too much protein is bad for your kidneys (protein powders)...

Well I myself have had kidney stones and in some rare cases yes too much protein can be bad. However these stones can get treated easily with medication and are only in 15% of the times the problem.

So if I would guess and ask the interdimensional super intelligence that tells me what your sister asked. I say check how much calcium is in that supplement.... Collagen tablets that come from marine sources, such as shark cartilage and shell fish, contain high amounts of calcium, which can significantly raise the calcium levels of the patient using the supplement.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• edited February 2017

Just a question, didn't mean to get you all riled up. I once had a silly teacher who told me that there's no such thing as a stupid question, but I guess we just proved her wrong. Sorry I'm such a dumb ass. I'm having a hard time dealing with the billion lyme supplements and the brain fog is off the charts. Thanks for sort of answering my question.

• I don't think he's riled up at you. I think your post just triggered something that goes off when we see the influence health and supplement myths perpetuated. For those of use that care about health, when we see "protein powders are hard on the kidneys" it drives us crazy! I even put a link to a blog article that I wrote debunking MSG in protein in my signature. Here are some other myths that drive me crazy:

• Deadlifts are bad for your back
    • Squats are hard on your knees
    • Saturated fat is bad for you
    • Dietary cholesterol is bad for you
    • You can't grow new brain cells
    • It takes X number of years to digest Y
    • Vaccines cause autism
    • Prescript Assist is a good probiotic

Many others...

Post your favorites below!

• Jason, I get it. But I also figured this would be a good place to ask about a Bulletproof specific product to people who use them regularly. I understand that health myths abound which is why I asked - for some clarity. At the moment, my energy levels are so low, I do as much research as I can, but the stupid brain fog is kicking my ass. I didn't realize this was a sore subject.

• Hey, don't beat yourself up. We love you, we just hate what mainstream health has done to everyone's mind. Besides, sounds like DMan is more pissed at your sister for giving you shoddy advice. We're looking out for you, I promise!

Yeah, protein in general CAN be hard on your liver and kidneys, especially for the unhealthiest of us. But as long as you aren't consuming ridiculous amounts of protein (I consider over 150g a little too much for a non-bodybuilder with a chronic illness), you should be fine.

Vitamin C is important for collagen production, so take 500mg once in a while if you aren't already.

Try not to worry about the details, especially in your state. Focus on healing.

• @KristenBee
    I think collagen is an excellent supplement. Its the only supplement I consume on a daily basis.

I agree that the statement "supplement powders are hard on the kidneys" is a health myth. Too many variables to account for like what is the supplement? and is the person supplementing have kidney disease? or other chronic condition which may affect the kidneys (like high blood pressure)?

Since you are in good health you should be perfectly fine supplementing with the BP Collagen Powder.

I hope you recover and heal from lymes disease quickly.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• Hey, just a drop in to give support and say -- take a deep breath and relax a little bit. You're ok, and no one here is mad at you. :)

The piece of advice I can give you is this: Search out Dave's older podcasts and listen listen listen. He goes into a lot of basics, talks about supplements, and interviews some very interesting people. Do a search on Lyme disease within his blogs and podcasts. There will be lots of good info in there.

Good luck!!

• Dear KristenBee,

Thanks for your intuition on this, I think it really helped me out this month. I had a hunch about this too, and stopped the collagen for a while, going back to simply cooked meats for protein. There might not be any medical backing for it yet, but your woman's intuition is onto something. At least it really helped me, and I've mentioned it to others. Some of us may just need more simple food for one reason or another. Thanks again and hope you kick Lyme disease and get rid of it for good. Keep up the good work, and thanks for your help this month and beyond. I really needed to pivot in this area, at least for a time. Remember Semmelweis, no one believed him either! :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Semmelweis

Blessings @KristenBee , TEX

• Hey kristen...perhaps i can help answer your question without all the smart ass drama ..i have 1 kidney n its functioning at bout 90% so..heres the scoop...i take collagen peptides ( from a bone broth source..i use a brand made by a doctor..whom i shall not name so not to be accused of trolling a product) the danger for kidneys in a collagen suppl is 1 ) to much calcium ..has dude said..it can cause issues if you take to much..but,common sense n knowing your body needs adjustment we can take collagen by tweeking the consumption a bit less pften ..i do 3 tablespn a week of the coll.peptides..most peeps take 1 tablespn a day...2) theres a breakdown of protien that turns into another substance that biulds up and can cause a effect on kidneys...i forget the name ..im sure i'll hear remarks bout that but..its real..but..its in veggies ,fruit ,meats,eggs,dairy..so..basically we get this every day just by eating...do i avoid eating cuz i have 1 slightly disfunctional kidney..nada..do i watch what i eat cuz of my slightly disfunctional kidney..mmm not really..salts bad ..but..bottom line...its cool tp take a bone broth source collagen peptide,specially if ya have 2 kidneys ..for me..i use my head n adjust to cater itcto my kidneys abilities..boom..

• DMan....
    Don't ever talk down your nose to someone who's dealing with the stress and anxiety of any disease. I was stunned with your rant and disgusted by the people that made excuses for you. I have health problems and even though I don't trust Google, I check out there answers but I always get a second opinion. I sure won't ever ask anyone about anything on THIS platform.